Nintendo DS Appreciation Thread

strider

Went to check out my original ds today and discovered one of my children have been playing with it. The stylus is gone and while I'll look for it I'm almost certain it isn't coming back.

Is there anywhere to get official nintendo styluses for the ds. Is the same stylus used on all ds model?  

On 09/03/2021 at 21:33, ryodi said:

There’s normally a spare one in the box if you still have it.

Thanks I will check that. I don't have access to the box right now but will ask my parents to check as I'm pretty sure I kept the original box.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

How common are bootleg DS carts?

I remember how common bootlegged GBA carts were from 2003 onwards (barely avoidable, unless you bought your games from highstreet retailers), but I'll admit that I never saw a bootleg DS game until buying several games from a charity shop, where two turned out to be fairly obvious fakes.  

I switched on my launch unit DS Phat the other week to find that there's a line of permanently dark pixels on the bottom panel.

This degradation is a new thing, and reminds me of OG Gameboy screen faults related to ribbon cables unseating themselves over time.

Arse.

I got rid of my OG DS a while ago. I don't like having too many old devices with li-on batteries lying around because of having to charge them periodically. I'd neglected my DS for a while and the battery swelled up and had to be binned.

With so many things using these batteries, its so easy to forget one or two. The batteries WILL go and compromised li-on batteries are a fire hazard.

As for the DS Lite, I got the dreaded cracked hinge. Big chunk fell out and exposed some wires. The worst part is that I was already aware of this defect and babied that bloody hinge yet it STILL broke...

I haven't owned a DS Lite for years (I had the lovely pale blue Japanese launch one and it got pinched) but I remember it having what I considered to be the finest D-pad Nintendo ever made, which would make it de facto the finest D-pad. Rose-tinted thumbs or were they really that good?

8 hours ago, Yasawas said:

I haven't owned a DS Lite for years (I had the lovely pale blue Japanese launch one and it got pinched) but I remember it having what I considered to be the finest D-pad Nintendo ever made, which would make it de facto the finest D-pad. Rose-tinted thumbs or were they really that good?

It was pretty good because it was floaty and loose. That said, I didn't play any fighting games on the DS (if there are even any of note?) and I judge d-pads based on those! Saturn d-pad is the king for me.

The d-pad on the original phat DS was pretty nice though as it was clicky and reassuringly durable-feeling. In fact, the OG DS felt so much more solidly-built all round vs the Lite which always struck me as a build quality drop. Shame that the much darker screens of the original were impossible to go back to after the Lite.

On 22/06/2022 at 17:46, spanky debrest said:

I switched on my launch unit DS Phat the other week to find that there's a line of permanently dark pixels on the bottom panel.

This degradation is a new thing, and reminds me of OG Gameboy screen faults related to ribbon cables unseating themselves over time.

Arse.

Can always supply you a replacemt lower lcd should you fancy changing it, boxes of spares :)

Thought to recommend Nintendo DS games by publisher:

Square Enix - The World Ends with You, Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

Capcom - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations, Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, Okamiden

Nintendo - Advance Wars: Dual Strike, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Magical Starsign

Natsume - Rune Factory 3: A Fantasy Harvest Moon, Harvest Moon: The Tale of Two Towns, Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals

Atlus - Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2, Radiant Historia, Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier

XSEED Games - Retro Game Challenge, Solatorobo: Red the Hunter, Avalon Code

Sega - Infinite Space, Phantasy Star Zero, Aliens: Infestation

Konami - Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Contra 4, Lunar Knights

Namco Bandai Games - Digimon World DS, Point Blank DS, QuickSpot

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment - Super Scribblenauts, LEGO Battles, Speed Racer

PopCap - Bejeweled 3, Peggle: Dual Shot, Plants vs. Zombies

Tecmo - Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword, Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff, Robocalypse

Ignition Entertainment - Boing! Docomodake DS, Metal Slug 7, Zoo Keeper

Majesco - Monster Tale, Sideswiped, Air Traffic Chaos

Ubisoft - Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes, Tom Clancy's EndWar, Lost Magic

Aksys Games - Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

SouthPeak Games - Ninjatown

UFO Interactive - Monster Racers

City Interactive - TrackMania Turbo

Sierra Entertainment - Geometry Wars: Galaxies

2K Games - Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution

D3Publisher - Bangai-O Spirits

Destineer - WordJong

Hudson - Honeycomb Beat

Activision - Spider-Man: Web of Shadows

Eidos Interactive - Nervous Brickdown

THQ - Lock's Quest

EA Games - The Urbz: Sims in the City

NIS America - Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

Namco - Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits

I know it’s hardly definitive but holy shit the prices at CEX these days. Dragon Quest V (£150!), Chrono Trigger, Solatorobo and Kirby’s Super Star all £80–120. 

On the one hand I have those and it’s nice to think I can retire in my 40s. I made it! But I’m never getting Fire Emblem, Metal Slug out Contra now. 

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone play the sequel to Hotel Dusk, "Last Window"?

Really enjoyed Hotel Dusk when it came out, so having recently discovered this exists I've ordered up a German copy, hoping it'll include the English localisation too, as it was the only reasonably priced one I could find. If it's more of the same, I'll be happy.

3 hours ago, DoctorEggo said:

Did anyone play the sequel to Hotel Dusk, "Last Window"?

Really enjoyed Hotel Dusk when it came out, so having recently discovered this exists I've ordered up a German copy, hoping it'll include the English localisation too, as it was the only reasonably priced one I could find. If it's more of the same, I'll be happy.

I have it, but for my sins I've not got very far into it. It's supposed to be a worthy follow-up though. I'd imagine the high cost it now goes for is because I don't believe it got a US release.

Same, I tracked it down but then didn’t play it much. The opening setting (being at your apartment) isn’t as compelling as Hotel Dusk, and the instant game overs felt a bit arbitrary. I hear it gets better, though.

I still love that art style, and I’d love to see the series come back. 

1 hour ago, Alexlotl said:

Same, I tracked it down but then didn’t play it much. The opening setting (being at your apartment) isn’t as compelling as Hotel Dusk, and the instant game overs felt a bit arbitrary. I hear it gets better, though.

I still love that art style, and I’d love to see the series come back. 

It's a lovely looking game and a great example of how you don't need cutting-edge tech to make a distinctive-looking game. I also like the style of Cing's Another Code games as well.