strider

Nintendo DS Appreciation Thread

15 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Have you played the DS one? 

I finished the DS one ages ago but there is a lot of changes made from the N64 game which is a bit lame.

The only thing that bothers me afaik is rubbing the wheels before a race to get a boost.... so dumb.

I hate how nintendo forced developers to implement touch screen shit, ruining parts of games

4 minutes ago, buizel said:

The only thing that bothers me afaik is rubbing the wheels before a race to get a boost.... so dumb.

I hate how nintendo forced developers to implement touch screen shit, ruining parts of games

Yeah the touch screen stuff was crap. I didn't like they got rid of the silver coin challenges though - think they replaced that with some pop the balloon thing. Removed my favorite character (conker!) but they did add some.

Wasn't there a track editor? I can't remember. It just seemed very easy compared to the N64 which... admittedly was pretty difficult in the first place.

1 hour ago, Darhkwing said:

Have you played the DS one? 

I finished the DS one ages ago but there is a lot of changes made from the N64 game which is a bit lame.

Yes I reviewed it for Retro Gamer many, many years ago. It's not as good as the original but it's still a solid little racer :)

Hello all. I'm new to this forum, and really enjoying it so far. Big DS fan here, and I thought i should shate my most recent acquisition. A bargain at £2.49 (Lucky charity shop find). Has anyone got/or played this? Is it as good as Okami on the Wii?

20170517_201535.jpg

• Upvote 3

I've picked up a couple off DS's of eBay (for £6 and £12, which was nice) but thinking that maybe the DSixl will be better for me.

Were the XLs a limited release or something? Seem to be going for a lot of money still in the usual places?! 

7 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Couple of trades from Retroplay:

image.jpg

I think I've an actual shit here if you want it?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bluejam said:

I've picked up a couple off DS's of eBay (for £6 and £12, which was nice) but thinking that maybe the DSixl will be better for me.

Were the XLs a limited release or something? Seem to be going for a lot of money still in the usual places?! 

They were never hard to get hold of but because they were marketed as a premium product they were a lot more expensive than the DS Lite and had nowhere near as many sales. 

I'm having a rethink of my collection as the OCD side of me can't handle having different sized boxes for games. I'm going to start replacing my uk copies for us ones and am only buying us stuff going forward unless it is specific to uk. If anyone is up for swaps let me know. 

On 20/05/2017 at 12:55, Lorfarius said:

Couple of trades from Retroplay:

image.jpg

Does it play like Ecco, by any chance?

8 hours ago, NEG said:

Does it play like Ecco, by any chance?

No, its dolphin style terrible mini games.  Feeding them etc. It's not great but a perfectly serviceable kids game.

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2017 at 18:01, strider said:

As much as I'd like to have everything looking uniformed I can't justify paying from 3-5 times the cost of the game just to have it in a smaller box :)

I'll look at getting US stuff going forward (I recently got a Mario Kart in a bundle that is US, meaning I can sell my European one) but I don't want to miss out on great CEX bargains when they appear.

13 hours ago, strider said:

I'm having a rethink of my collection as the OCD side of me can't handle having different sized boxes for games. I'm going to start replacing my uk copies for us ones and am only buying us stuff going forward unless it is specific to uk. If anyone is up for swaps let me know. 

The perils of being a collector. Some UK titles like NSMB and Animal Crossing were released in the thin US cases so you might be lucky and find them in CeX when you're replacing copies.

3 hours ago, ryodi said:

The perils of being a collector. Some UK titles like NSMB and Animal Crossing were released in the thin US cases so you might be lucky and find them in CeX when you're replacing copies.

Yeah, in 2006 or 2007 Nintendo at Christmas released a number of their own releases such as Mario Kart and NSMB in the US cases.

On 9 April 2017 at 13:33, Riven said:

Alice in Wonderland (wasn't bad either as it was a Metroid style clone with a unique art style and I might have also have had a hand in making it)

Yeah, a surprisingly good little movie tie-in. I picked it up back in the day for a fiver from Morrisons. Bargain!

• Upvote 1

I've got some PayPal money, so if anyone would like to sell us versions of rocket slime adventure, front mission and Valkyrie profile then let me know. They sell for £29 on videogame p,us, but will take ages to turn up.

So I've gone balls deep into my DS collecting, ignoring the fact I could simply stick them all on a R4 card.

I've got a fair few purchases coming over the next week so don't be surprised to see a few pictures coming me way.

Personally I blame @ymaohyd for all this :P. Ever since I've seen their amazing collection I've vowed I'm going to have one that's just as good, just as neat, just as desirable. It's going to be the talking point of my shed whenever people come around to play retro. They'll all be like "wow! I didn't know you liked the DS? Look at how amazing all those games are. You really are the best Darran and I'm glad I get to call you my friend.*

Of course, this does mean that I'm going to have a few games that simply never came out on the system in the US, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it...

*Will probably not happen.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, strider said:

So I've gone balls deep into my DS collecting, ignoring the fact I could simply stick them all on a R4 card.

I've got a fair few purchases coming over the next week so don't be surprised to see a few pictures coming me way.

Personally I blame @ymaohyd for all this :P. Ever since I've seen their amazing collection I've vowed I'm going to have one that's just as good, just as neat, just as desirable. It's going to be the talking point of my shed whenever people come around to play retro. They'll all be like "wow! I didn't know you liked the DS? Look at how amazing all those games are. You really are the best Darran and I'm glad I get to call you my friend.*

Of course, this does mean that I'm going to have a few games that simply never came out on the system in the US, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it...

*Will probably not happen.

Haha. Well I could actually say the same to you, ever since you started this thread my collection has probably grown another 50%. 

They do do look so much better though don't they! The downside of course is sometimes they are a little more expensive (not always) or seem to be quite difficult to get here, for example I've seen loads of Hotel Dusk PAL versions knocking about for cheap but really finding it difficult to get the US version.

Am really jealous of your Contra 4 though. I completed it on easy mode on the R4 years ago but would love a legit copy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ymaohyd said:

Haha. Well I could actually say the same to you, ever since you started this thread my collection has probably grown another 50%. 

They do do look so much better though don't they! The downside of course is sometimes they are a little more expensive (not always) or seem to be quite difficult to get here, for example I've seen loads of Hotel Dusk PAL versions knocking about for cheap but really finding it difficult to get the US version.

Am really jealous of your Contra 4 though. I completed it on easy mode on the R4 years ago but would love a legit copy.

Funnily enough I just sourced a copy of Hotel Dusk from eBay for £6.49 last night with free shipping. It would appear that most games are out there and they can sometimes go for good prices. Someone just shoved up Lego Indiana Jones for £4 this morning and I snapped it up. If you like I'll be happy to send you messages via pm if I see anything that you're after. Us OCD US collectors have to look out for each other :P

First update :) all purchased through trading

starfox command £5- always enjoyed this and the price was brilliant.

Advance wars £11 - adore this series, it's up there with fire emblem for me.

children of mana £9 - vaguely remember this. I like action rpgs.

picross ds £7 - I love picross games, so this was a no brainier.

geometry wars £4 - great price for a great shooter

mystery dungeon. - I swapped this with @deKay:)

IMG_1302.JPG

• Upvote 1

Very nice. Are there still lots of fakes of US DS games on eBay when you're buying games @strider, they absolutely flooded the market when the DS was at its peak which made buying UK games online the less risky option.

23 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Very nice. Are there still lots of fakes of US DS games on eBay when you're buying games @strider, they absolutely flooded the market when the DS was at its peak which made buying UK games online the less risky option.

Shit. I never knew there were fake ds games. What do I need to look out for?

just found a good guide. I've checked the serial numbers and mine are fine with the exception of Pokemon ranger which needs replacing anyway.

thanks for the heads up.

in general I do what I do with gba games, I don't buy any that don't show physical pictures of the product.

8 hours ago, strider said:

Funnily enough I just sourced a copy of Hotel Dusk from eBay for £6.49 last night with free shipping. It would appear that most games are out there and they can sometimes go for good prices. Someone just shoved up Lego Indiana Jones for £4 this morning and I snapped it up. If you like I'll be happy to send you messages via pm if I see anything that you're after. Us OCD US collectors have to look out for each other :P

If it's the one I'm thinking of it had the UK cartridge included with a US case so I passed but if it's just shelf uniformity you want then that won't matter. 

I've got eBay pretty much covered but anywhere else you see some US versions going I would be interested and a pm would be much appreciated. I don't often check the trading here to be honest.

32 minutes ago, ymaohyd said:

If it's the one I'm thinking of it had the UK cartridge included with a US case so I passed but if it's just shelf uniformity you want then that won't matter. 

I've got eBay pretty much covered but anywhere else you see some US versions going I would be interested and a pm would be much appreciated. I don't often check the trading here to be honest.

Good eyes. I totally missed that!

I'm more concerned about what they look like on the shelf, so I'm not massively upset*

*I'm massively upset.