strider

Nintendo DS Appreciation Thread

2 hours ago, deKay said:

Henry Hatsworth was great until a level quite far in where the difficulty spike shoots upwards so high and fast I swear it curves back over you and cuts off your escape.

To be fair I'm finding it quite tough already and I'm only on the second stage!

51 minutes ago, strider said:

I've just convinced the wife to buy me £100 worth of DS games for my birthday at the end of the month. I'm going to make her wrap them all up :P

Be sure to practice your not-disappointed-face for when they turn out to have sun-faded spines.

• Upvote 5

18 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

Be sure to practice your not-disappointed-face for when they turn out to have sun-faded spines.

I'm going to open them before hand as I might have bought a few games myself.

It will give me longer to prepare :)

Had a couple more goodies turn up over the weekend but I think I'll save them until my birthday bundle arrives. Don't expect any updates from me until the 31st!

Yes! My birthday bundle has arrived! I've pulled out three of the games (one of which is a replacement for my sun-faded Pac-Pix) the others are being wrapped up tonight. Now to wait until the 31st :wacko:

• Upvote 1

Just bought a DSi XL from eBay. Really excited. So many games I've missed out on as it had quite the library.

My original DS Lite succumbed to the broken hinges and dodgy left shoulder button.

Bring on some lovely 2D Castlevannias, I never got around to playing the DS ones though enjoyed a couple on the GBA.

5 hours ago, MidWalian said:

Just bought a DSi XL from eBay. Really excited. So many games I've missed out on as it had quite the library.

My original DS Lite succumbed to the broken hinges and dodgy left shoulder button.

Bring on some lovely 2D Castlevannias, I never got around to playing the DS ones though enjoyed a couple on the GBA.

Welcome to the club.

Late to the party and not reading the last 14 pages...

Has anyone mentioned the Japan only Puzzle Series Vol. 5: Slitherlink.  I put a LOT of hours into that addictive and (I think) unique little puzzler.  Amazing :)

No region lock really helped these little marvels out - I'm hoping the Switch goes the same way.

I have a feeling that my DS still sealed pile of shame reached epic proportions (ok, maybe 20 games) as the number of cheaply available decent titles once the 3DS was out was immense, and I picked up some really nice titles at the end.

I seem to recall Ninjatown being one of them - a nice little tower defence game.

I read some comments as I skimmed the early pages about the DS having the weakest of 1st party titles - and whilst that might be true, it had the most amazing number of great games, and out there titles too.  Stuff like Feel The Magic, Hotel Dusk, Scribblenauts (before it was ported to everything else),  Retro Game Challenge...  Advanced Wars is great too, though not as good as the GBA offering, obviously Ouedan has been discussed at length - Elite Beat Agents..

It had an amazing pile of puzzlers too, Puzzle Quest for all you candy crushers, or the far superior Zoo Keeper! Honeycomb Beat, Picross...

45 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Late to the party and not reading the last 14 pages...

Has anyone mentioned the Japan only Puzzle Series Vol. 5: Slitherlink.  I put a LOT of hours into that addictive and (I think) unique little puzzler.  Amazing :)

No region lock really helped these little marvels out - I'm hoping the Switch goes the same way.

I seem to recall Ninjatown being one of them - a nice little tower defence game.

It's been mentioned :) I'm not bothering with it as there's an english version on 3DS.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about Ninjatown so it's certainly on my to buy list.

It's worth having a scan through if only to see some of the insane collections that our fellow members have. They're certainly inspired me to beat them all :P

4 hours ago, strider said:

It's been mentioned :) I'm not bothering with it as there's an english version on 3DS.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about Ninjatown so it's certainly on my to buy list.

It's worth having a scan through if only to see some of the insane collections that our fellow members have. They're certainly inspired me to beat them all :P

:o  I completely missed that...

Is it the same?  Can't find much online except awesome reviews for the DS game and mediocre ones for the 3DS...

I'll have a more in depth skim through the thread :)

11 hours ago, Simonfifa1 said:

Has anyone played Time Hollow? Its available at my local CEX. It looks good, and sounds interesting, but I want to ask for opinion as to whether it's worth 22 of my precious pounds.

It's apparently a visual novel. I don't know much more about it though. 

18 hours ago, Mars said:

Selling my Dsi XL with games :( Games and console unboxed, comes with a charger and a spare stylus set. £55 delivered.

IMG_20170821_210125166.jpg

IMG_20170821_210146695.jpg

IMG_20170821_210240678.jpg

a nice reminder that there was not nearly enough DS strategy games. so so many got canned it makes me saaaad. that said these are the best ones on the system!

• Upvote 1

I'll tell you what else is great - Military History Commander, Europe at War.  This kept me gripped from start to finish on an eleven-hour flight last year.

You start in 1939, and the default setting seems to be the Axis powers, as that's what I had.  The map includes Europe, North Africa, and Western Asia, as well as the Americas.  Japan are not in it at all.

You can declare war on any country with who you are not allied, which is pretty cool.

I quickly forced Poland to surrender, but the USSR were massing troops on my eastern frontier, so I spent the rest of the game going after them.  Eventually I had all of mainland Europe except Portugal under my control, and was forcing the allies to the Western tip of North Africa (the war was the inverse of the real African war).  However, by that time the American convoys had put tanks on just about every square of Britain, and an invasion was out of the question.  German naval power was very disappointing.

Therefore I was planning for a sneak invasion of the USA - to win the game you need to capture all the enemy capitals - thinking that the war would continue into the 50's and 60's, when the game stopped in 1945, and gave me a score.

The sheer number of the enemy units means that the computer can take an age to make its move.  Once I thought the game had crashed.

Despite its flaws, though, it really is an absorbing game, and cheap to buy.

54 minutes ago, smelly bastard said:

I'll tell you what else is great - Military History Commander, Europe at War.  This kept me gripped from start to finish on an eleven-hour flight last year.

You start in 1939, and the default setting seems to be the Axis powers, as that's what I had.  The map includes Europe, North Africa, and Western Asia, as well as the Americas.  Japan are not in it at all.

You can declare war on any country with who you are not allied, which is pretty cool.

I quickly forced Poland to surrender, but the USSR were massing troops on my eastern frontier, so I spent the rest of the game going after them.  Eventually I had all of mainland Europe except Portugal under my control, and was forcing the allies to the Western tip of North Africa (the war was the inverse of the real African war).  However, by that time the American convoys had put tanks on just about every square of Britain, and an invasion was out of the question.  German naval power was very disappointing.

Therefore I was planning for a sneak invasion of the USA - to win the game you need to capture all the enemy capitals - thinking that the war would continue into the 50's and 60's, when the game stopped in 1945, and gave me a score.

The sheer number of the enemy units means that the computer can take an age to make its move.  Once I thought the game had crashed.

Despite its flaws, though, it really is an absorbing game, and cheap to buy.

Is this an rts or similar to Advance Wars?

Turn-based, hence having waiting ages for the computer to make its move.  Gameplay is similar to Advance Wars in that way, but the extent of the resources at your disposal is rather less clear.  I thought having the USSR oil fields under my control would be enough to conquer the world, but they seemed to have little effect.  There's also research and upgrading your units, which as far as I know is not in Advance Wars.

The only RTS I have played on the DS is Shogun Empires, which is just about the worst game on the system.

2 hours ago, smelly bastard said:

Turn-based, hence having waiting ages for the computer to make its move.  Gameplay is similar to Advance Wars in that way, but the extent of the resources at your disposal is rather less clear.  I thought having the USSR oil fields under my control would be enough to conquer the world, but they seemed to have little effect.  There's also research and upgrading your units, which as far as I know is not in Advance Wars.

The only RTS I have played on the DS is Shogun Empires, which is just about the worst game on the system.

Thanks I'll take a look into it. There's no US release which is a bit of a shame, but it seems reasonably priced.

I've just been a naughty boy. Found a US Ebay seller who doesn't use global shipping so I've ordered 10 games from him. He's going to mark it as a gift (rather than $20 which I asked) so I've a feeling I'm going to get ****ed on customs. Now to play the waiting game…

8 hours ago, Ale Crow said:

!!SEGA PRESENTS TOUCH DARTS!!

Great game.

It's apparently available in the US but must be under a different name as I can't see it on eBay. Unless it's super rare.