Roguelikes / Roguelites

22 hours ago, donpeartree said:

No, I haven't, yet. Should I? I haven't seen much about it. Am I likely to enjoy it if I enjoyed Gungeon?

Yeah, give it a try. Side scrolling instead of top down, challenging, interesting mechanics, addictive, looks great. Didn't get much love but I'd consider it part of the core titles tbh.

• 2 weeks later...

When I saw the silly title Immortal Redneck on the PS4 Store I remember seeing Jim Sterling playing it and thoroughly liking it. It's a fast-paced first person shooter (reminds me of Serious Sam a lot) with the typical rogue-like elements.

I have to admit, 20 euro felt steep but I went for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Synthetik is beutiful!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/528230/Synthetik/

I've not got it (yet) but there's just something mesmorising about that clunky-style animation! Looks like a Roguelike Commando style game - from what I've seen there's a very steep aim or move dynamic going on and a 2-part reload mechanic which makes things a little interesting.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone tried Wizard of Legend? I'm looking for something to scratch my Gungeon itch and I'm wondering if this is the game to do it.  The combat looks pretty satisfying and fun, but I've heard the levels are quite repetetive.

On 27/04/2018 at 10:21, stefcha said:

Shiren The Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate is on sale on PSN for Vita at the moment, always enjoyed Shiren DS and have been waiting for this to drop. Cheapest it's ever been at £6.49 (80% off) and the first time it's been on sale for a year. 

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP1024-PCSB00989_00-SHIREN5PLUS000EU

Fuck, man, what I wouldn't give Shiren on the PS4.

22 hours ago, donpeartree said:

Has anyone tried Wizard of Legend? I'm looking for something to scratch my Gungeon itch and I'm wondering if this is the game to do it.  The combat looks pretty satisfying and fun, but I've heard the levels are quite repetetive.

Loads of streams on twitch of you want to see what it’s like 

What's the crack with Gungeon?

I keep going back to it but something just isn't sinking in. I don't know what the draw is or what I'm trying to achieve and it doesn't seem like there's any form of progression.

What am I missing, can anyone enlighten me?

I really don't know what you mean; it's got a shed load of unlocks, secrets, characters, elevators and a big, big secret-ish goal (build the gun to kill your past). For a RL it's got a hell of a lot of progression really.

On 27/05/2018 at 21:21, donpeartree said:

I've been playing it, the levels are very repetitive and I'm not seeing much progress from myself. Maybe because I'm just charging about like a nutter. I haven't managed to get very far either.

It's good fun but I haven't played Enter The Gungeon so I can't compare.

8 hours ago, hellcock junior said:

I really don't know what you mean; it's got a shed load of unlocks, secrets, characters, elevators and a big, big secret-ish goal (build the gun to kill your past). For a RL it's got a hell of a lot of progression really.

Has it? It doesn't seem like that comes across in the exposition at all. I keep doing runs and I have no idea why. Cheers though, I'll try read up on a wiki or something. 

On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 21:21, donpeartree said:

I'm enjoying it, having bought it this weekend just gone, though as I've not played too much yet it might be a slightly cautious recommendation, as it feels like it might be a little light on content/longevity if you're not willing to experiment; the game gives you plenty of different abilities/relics to play with, besides what you can get while actually on a run, but if you don't try and mess around with them there may not be much to do once you finish it (though I've not beaten the first boss yet, so I can't really comment on the endgame). The combat is satisfying though, the tutorial is muuuch better than most (giving you a brief overview in an original way, without any handholding), and I'm thinking about it while not playing it, which is always a good sign with a new roguelite.

As far as the repetitive levels thing, I'm not sure that really holds water; there are only three areas, Fire, Ice and Earth, each split into two levels and then a boss level, but they are all procedurally generated, and the order you play them changes from run to run. Bearing in mind that great visual variety isn't really what you play a roguelite for (despite it obviously being nice to have), it feels like a bit of a redundant criticism. As long as the gameplay/builds have variety and depth (and, as I've said, while that's seemingly partially reliant on the player in this case, the potential certainly seems to be there), I think it'll be fine.

• 1 month later...

Dead Cells finally has a physical release date, comes out 17th August on PC, PS4 and Switch.

The Signature edition includes:

A double-CD digipak soundtrack
An exclusive enamel character pin
A fifty-six-page hardback artbook
A numbered certificate of authenticity featuring Motion Twin autographs
An embossed outer box featuring exclusive artwork

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

^Aye it's a great game, quite a lot of secrets too which suprised me given the structure.

Anywho, somehow missed this from E3 - Noita gameplay! (starts at 2:27)

Cringey salesmen skills there but the game looks ace!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Look on Kotaku UK today and there's a longish discussion piece about Roguelikes, which I've co-written.

We're talking about our different experiences and opinions on various games from the last decade - from Spelunky and Isaac to Dead Cells and Slay the Spire - and about what makes some work better than others:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/11/02/evolution-of-the-roguelike

Apologies for self-publicity, but hopefully this is of interest here.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Recently I've been playing Curse of the Dead Gods quite a lot. And it's pretty great.

Think Hades style action with Darkest Dungeon style presentation, weapons systems and synergies a bit like Dead Cells and Slay the Spire route selection. No, it's not that original, but it's taking stuff from the best sources, it's extremely well balanced and polished, the weapons are meaty, and it has a few ideas of its own.

I'm hooked on WW2 tank roguelike Armoured Commander II

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1292020/Armoured_Commander_II/

Loosely based on an old solitaire boardgame from the 80s, you command a tank through various battles of WW2. It's still in early access but is updated very regularly. The focus is on surviving the war rather than high octane tank thrillz, but it's one of the most tense games I've ever played. There's something like 37 campaigns featuring a host of nations and hundreds of different type of units, you can even carry your surviving crew over to a later campaign and theoretically survive the entire war, although there's only enough campaigns to properly do that as a German commander at the moment, with the latter parts of the Allies' campaigns coming later. Recommended 

ss_926d7950a19d5750ff8a7e2426ad5cf045f5ff93.600x338.jpg

ss_f76dd69f53ab27d12452b2efc8f4152748ba620c.600x338.jpg

ss_8c8a2252c71c20f311539e6902029778f8c28e15.600x338.jpg

7 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Recently I've been playing Curse of the Dead Gods quite a lot. And it's pretty great.

Think Hades style action with Darkest Dungeon style presentation, weapons systems and synergies a bit like Dead Cells and Slay the Spire route selection. No, it's not that original, but it's taking stuff from the best sources, it's extremely well balanced and polished, the weapons are meaty, and it has a few ideas of its own.

I'm in the middle of reviewing it for MHG and I think it's really good but I do wonder if they put too many cogs into the machine.

22 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I'm in the middle of reviewing it for MHG and I think it's really good but I do wonder if they put too many cogs into the machine.

I've not played Curse Of The Dead Gods but have felt this a lot recently. Could I just have one less plate to juggle? When I restarted No Man's Sky a while back I just cheated on the cash front - milked the trading that lets you make a fast buck from Cobalt and then found the game was so much better without having to worry about  money. 

And can something just be on my side, unreservedly. I'm starting to despise perks that are half good/half bad. Rogue-likes are especially bad for these. If I'm trying to balance fourteen different stats in my head it really doesn't help if everything I pick up affects two of them to varying degrees positively and another couple negatively. I just ditch anything that's remotely negative now - life's too short .

59 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Yeah that's the entire basis of Curse of the Dead Gods. It's all risk/reward. ALL of it. And it's a bit exhausting.

I suppose I like that. They've managed to make each new weapon, relic and upgrade a decision that's worth thinking about for a few seconds. Vastly preferable to a loot style system where most things just get chucked on a pile and never looked at again. I especially like that they even give you a small reward for refusing something, because it makes something out of the mismatches that often come with RNG.

And the curses, if anything, I found a bit underwhelming. Most of them have very little impact on the way you play.