Xbox 360 Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

35 minutes ago, Vimster said:

It is easy to forget now how the 360 set the standard for console gaming today, with the wireless pads, integrated online, being able to buy games digitally, digital updates of games. We take all this for granted now but whilst some of these were available on previous consoles, like the Wavebird or Xbox Live on OG Xbox, the 360 integrated this from the word go. 

Indeed. I'd love to put the Xbox 360 on the cover of Retro Gamer, but I'm wary of all the pitch forks that I would get stabbed with.

4 minutes ago, strider said:

Indeed. I'd love to put the Xbox 360 on the cover of Retro Gamer, but I'm wary of all the pitch forks that I would get stabbed with.

To be fair once the 360 becomes retro officially it'll be a totally different sort of retro to everything before it precisely because of the way there's still a connection with it in consoles today, games can still be updated and the like ... for now anyway. 

1 hour ago, Vimster said:

It is easy to forget now how the 360 set the standard for console gaming today, with the wireless pads, integrated online, being able to buy games digitally, digital updates of games. We take all this for granted now but whilst some of these were available on previous consoles, like the Wavebird or Xbox Live on OG Xbox, the 360 integrated this from the word go. 

The buying online is a big shout too.

I re-bought EDF, Borderlands, Dragons Dogma so I didn't need the discs.

For my Xbox X I've only bought PES2021 on disc because it's been removed from the store and it's the only football game worth playing in single player IMO!

Also it's great to see all my Xbox 360 purchases available for my X! 

8 hours ago, Hamus said:

Could the 360 be the best console ever?

Gets my vote! It's certainly my most played console. MS just got so many things right with it. OK the hardware could have been much better but the games more than made up for it and the pad is still one of my favourites.

Also never thought I'd admit to it loved getting achievements popping when playing. 

Glad MS have hit their stride again after the mess that was the XBO launch. 

I remember the incremental benefits of the latest console over whatever you already had and I'd wait for something to show off the need for a new console before I'd buy it (I'd stopped working at Game just before the 360 launch so was not getting free consoles any more).  The 360 was connected to a SDTV playing Dead or Alive and I just didn't see the difference at all.  Some months later I went to a friend's house and Dead Rising instantly got me.  Bought one a few days later.  

There was something so... accessible about the 360.  The dashboard was great (the blades) and the hit of HD graphics just blew me away.  Of course Ridge Racer 6 is still an all time favourite and yet I can't see how you'd improve on that to make a new one.  This may be rose tinted, but the 360 felt like an essential purchase and it's one of the reasons I chose Xbox Series for this generation. I want that backward compatiblity. There are so many 360 games that are as good as they could be and, apart from a shift from 30 to 60fps I think those titles would be much the same if released today.  I was bowled over by the 360, then when I got a PS3 it felt like I was just buying it because I've always owned them all - PS3 gnever had the anticipation or excitement of the 360 somehow.

The red ring of death was beautifully handled as well.  Can't see Xbox as a brand would have survived without the actions they took.  Looking at my Series X over half the games installed are actually 360 titles.  EDF as mentioned earlier, is so smooth on the series consoles.

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

I remember the incremental benefits of the latest console over whatever you already had and I'd wait for something to show off the need for a new console before I'd buy it (I'd stopped working at Game just before the 360 launch so was not getting free consoles any more).  The 360 was connected to a SDTV playing Dead or Alive and I just didn't see the difference at all.  Some months later I went to a friend's house and Dead Rising instantly got me.  Bought one a few days later.  

There was something so... accessible about the 360.  The dashboard was great (the blades) and the hit of HD graphics just blew me away.  Of course Ridge Racer 6 is still an all time favourite and yet I can't see how you'd improve on that to make a new one.  This may be rose tinted, but the 360 felt like an essential purchase and it's one of the reasons I chose Xbox Series for this generation. I want that backward compatiblity. There are so many 360 games that are as good as they could be and, apart from a shift from 30 to 60fps I think those titles would be much the same if released today.  I was bowled over by the 360, then when I got a PS3 it felt like I was just buying it because I've always owned them all - PS3 gnever had the anticipation or excitement of the 360 somehow.

The red ring of death was beautifully handled as well.  Can't see Xbox as a brand would have survived without the actions they took.  Looking at my Series X over half the games installed are actually 360 titles.  EDF as mentioned earlier, is so smooth on the series consoles.

I only got in to ridge Racer in the last few years. The thing about rr6 is the grey subdued sort of graphics, I only tried it briefly, is it really worth sticking with?

The reason I bought a 360 was sega rally and skate. I hear that version if sega rally sold really poorly, it one of the best driving games I've played. Skate was amazing too.

I've been playing Daytona on a 360 emulator, Xenia. It's pretty much a perfect port as far as I can tell.

7 hours ago, bplus said:

I only got in to ridge Racer in the last few years. The thing about rr6 is the grey subdued sort of graphics, I only tried it briefly, is it really worth sticking with?

Well I absolutely love Ridge Racer, always have. You're right, 6 has a darker range of colours and the PS3 later received Ridge Racer 7 which contains all of RR6 and more, in 1080p with brighter colours. And of course, the PSP got Ridge Racers 2, which has more content than the Xbox game (and emulates fantastically on the Series X, S, PC etc.)

But at the time, RR6 was the best and arguably it remains one of the best because there's enough content and the hexagon route map feels achievable. RR7 contains all of 6's content and more, so there's a long road ahead for anyone trying to complete it and some say it's too long. 

So it's personal preference and also which consoles you have access to, but at launch RR6 was an absolute belter and nothing could touch it.  As you say, there's also Sega Rally, Daytona, Outrun 2 Arcade, Hydro Thunder, etc.  Cracker of a console.  

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Klatrymadon said:

I need to pick up a 175w (12v-14.2a) power supply for a new RGH-modded 360, as my old Jasper PSU isn't suitable. Are the ones going on eBay for £10-15 my best bet? (I've no idea if they're known to be temperamental or anything...)

Thanks!

Original, Slim or E models would probably help determine ;)

Oh, it's an original model. The "Falcon" iteration, I believe. I bought it because it looked identical to my Jasper and I figured I already had all the cables. :doh:

I know what to look for now - just wondering if the price range sounds reasonable and if they're usually a safe secondhand purchase...

13 minutes ago, Klatrymadon said:

Oh, it's an original model. The "Falcon" iteration, I believe. I bought it because it looked identical to my Jasper and I figured I already had all the cables. :doh:

I know what to look for now - just wondering if the price range sounds reasonable and if they're usually a safe secondhand purchase...

You can use any of the higher powered ones on a lower powered machine, I might have one knocking about still, but usually old 360's just go in the bin as they break so often, if I do have one, it's yours for shipping, because, as stated , they just go to the tip.

2 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

You can use any of the higher powered ones on a lower powered machine, I might have one knocking about still, but usually old 360's just go in the bin as they break so often, if I do have one, it's yours for shipping, because, as stated , they just go to the tip.

So can you use a slim model brick on the older 360 models? 

Or if I bought a slim console could I transfer everything across from my old arcade console without being able to turn it on?

12 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

Ah, if you don't mind having a look for it, that'd be very kind!

I must have been really lucky with my 'Jasper' if the old ones are always failing - I've had the same one since 2008!

11 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Or if I bought a slim console could I transfer everything across from my old arcade console without being able to turn it on?

it's the other way around so some older power supplies work on some newer models, but not the slim as i think that has a completely different connector.

I think you can take the hard drive from an old one and transfer it but you need the usb adapter for the hard drive or something like that, not entirely sure how the process works.

https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/help/xbox-360/games/game-setup/manage-games-data-360#:~:text=Highlight the storage device that,Start to begin the transfer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/141131136?iid=125477210758

12 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I seem to think you can take the hard drive out of one machine and put it in another. They're standard laptop sized drives. If they're in one of the plug in type caddies, you can open them up and take the drive out. I've done that to have a bigger drive in my rgh machine.

On 19/10/2022 at 03:30, Sarlaccfood said:

Thanks both. 

Hrmm sounds a bit complicated for me. Outrun 2 remains trapped for now then.

It's actually really not. I'm a proper no-thumbed gibbon when it comes to these kinds of things and I managed to change the drive in a caddy. In fact, I bought an empty caddy off eBay and stuck a big drive in it a few years back.

• 1 month later...

Well I’ve just gone and got a slim E model. I owned a 20gb arcade model which obviously succumbed many years ago and annoyingly I sold the games but I’m slowly getting then back along with games that came out after mine tanked. It’s still such a great console and luckily I bought outrun and Rez hd so just re-downloaded them both. Installed Arkham city and RDR. Have PGR4, Blur, Forza 4 and Mirrors edge on the way. I probably need to get a ridge racer 6 as well as I loved that. It’s hard to believe that it’s as old as it is now but I’m really glad I picked one up again. 

On 10/12/2022 at 19:40, Bangaio said:

How good is Forza Motorsport 4? (It’s absolutely brilliant) a genuine fun single player racing game with no bullshit. I’ve been having far more fun in this low-res beauty than any series X|S racer or GT7 for that matter. 

The old Forza games are my favourites. In particular Forza Motorsport 3 for the breath of tracks on it. Really miss the point to point tracks there don't seem to be in the later ones. I especially enjoyed Fujimi Kaido, Amalfi Coast etc. I mean look at the track list.

The games after 4 seemed to be a bit flat and really focussed on going more down the simulation route and for me aren't as fun as in the circuits just aren't as interesting to drive around.. Prague and Bernese Alps were OK I guess. 

On 10/12/2022 at 19:40, Bangaio said:

How good is Forza Motorsport 4? (It’s absolutely brilliant) a genuine fun single player racing game with no bullshit. I’ve been having far more fun in this low-res beauty than any series X|S racer or GT7 for that matter. 

Yeah, it's undoubtedly my favourite of the series. I like the structure of the progression while still giving you the option to just run the races you want to instead. Like all these games, it's even better if you can lay your hands on a wheel.