Xbox 360 Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

• 1 month later...

Just spotted this and the PGR4 talk! Did anything ever come of PGR4 night? I have a 360 and PGR4 :) Feel free to add me to your friends list! :) (CypyerQ)

Posted (edited)

I got despondent when I couldn’t get my pgr4 save game back.

just means I need to get the 360 out the garage…

Edited by SeanR

6 hours ago, MattyP said:

Just spotted this and the PGR4 talk! Did anything ever come of PGR4 night? I have a 360 and PGR4 :) Feel free to add me to your friends list! :) (CypyerQ)

Can you still play online?  I'd be up for that.

Had a great few hours on PGR4 this evening, the graphics seem ageless to me. A franchise that needs a current gen update for sure! Have seen TDU2 for a few quid in CEX, worth a blast @SeanR

8 hours ago, Mars said:

Had a great few hours on PGR4 this evening, the graphics seem ageless to me. A franchise that needs a current gen update for sure! Have seen TDU2 for a few quid in CEX, worth a blast @SeanR

I couldn’t really get into TDU2. I dunno if it was open world exhaustion, but once I’d been to “where I went on my holidays” in Ibiza it didn’t have the same charm.

but then again TDU1’s Oahu is an unlockable in that game, so represents better vfm.

5 hours ago, SeanR said:

I couldn’t really get into TDU2. I dunno if it was open world exhaustion, but once I’d been to “where I went on my holidays” in Ibiza it didn’t have the same charm.

but then again TDU1’s Oahu is an unlockable in that game, so represents better vfm.

Cheers, how about TDU1 - a better option on your opinion?

1 hour ago, Mars said:

Cheers, how about TDU1 - a better option on your opinion?

Nah, get TDU2, unlock Oahu as soon as possible.

Spoiler

reach level 10 and pay $2,000 to access it using the Airport

• 1 month later...

What's a good way to get a 240p display (on my crappy 14" CRT) out of a 360? I understand that if I just buy an official RGB cable for the console it'll output at 480i, but I'm not sure if I need some kind of scaler or if my best/only option is to source a PC CRT and use a VGA cable instead?

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know a safe seller to buy an RGH or JTAG 360 from? I bought one from an eBay seller who seemingly deals in them exclusively, but it turned up not working, and the address they want me to return it to is in the USA (it came from the UK, arriving in 2 days). I'm wary of just trying another eBayer, although I'm sure some are good...

• 2 weeks later...

In the very limited gaming time I have nowdays I’ve been putting some time into Top Gun. Hard Lock.  
It’s a very well put together game, with an interesting mix of free control with the odd quick time event for certain manoeuvres during dogfights. 
Looks terrific and there’s a great mix of missions. 

Reviews weren’t too great but I’m enjoying it. 

So yeah TOP GUN!!!!!

On 03/07/2022 at 22:16, Mars said:

Certainly does! The graphics are still great IMHO this would be amazing with a 60fps patch and an update. Shame MS seem to have completely ditched the series. 

Id buy another Xbox Series console in an instant if this became available... :)

26 minutes ago, Vimster said:

What I love about PGR4 is how compact it is compared to racers today, but it still manages to get a good variety of events in.

Indeed still love working through the career. Great variety of locations to race around too and of course weather to add to the fun. Music is great too. Think what I like most is that is has no BS narrators etc on it... Just a nice prodigy backing track and into the racing.

New racers tend to be too chatty for me with lots of unnecessary "noise". 

7 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Indeed still love working through the career. Great variety of locations to race around too and of course weather to add to the fun. Music is great too. Think what I like most is that is has no BS narrators etc on it... Just a nice prodigy backing track and into the racing.

New racers tend to be too chatty for me with lots of unnecessary "noise". 

Yes too much story, too much reliance on making you a character. Just give me menus and races. The 360 really was the last gen we got that sort of thing.

2 hours ago, Vimster said:

Yes too much story, too much reliance on making you a character. Just give me menus and races. The 360 really was the last gen we got that sort of thing.

TBH I'm getting close to getting rid of the PS5 and just sticking with the 360 for playing games. Have a mountain of games on there to get through what with all the Gold games I've collected over the years. Also some games are just not available on the new consoles. Also everything is so much quicker and lack of huge patches is really appealing.

Might then pick up a Series S at some point when the 360 gives up the ghost. Although no disk drive on so perhaps a old XBO or X not sure.

However FOMO might make me keep the PS5....

Picked up Kameo today... This sort of slipped past me in the day think I played a demo. Loving the 360 all over again. 360 game prices are just insane these days (Kameo £1.50). Don't really think things have moved on much TBH.... In fact for me it hasn't.

On 27/09/2022 at 20:05, MattyP said:

However FOMO might make me keep the PS5....

It didn't.... :D It's gone.. done with modern AAA gaming. PC and 360 for me going forward. Think the PS5 will probably be the last mainstream console I will ever buy.*

*Although of course depends what Nintendo conjure up.... :D

Could the 360 be the best console ever?

Maybe not the "best", it seemed to be the first one that did a lot more stuff than other consoles - really well.

The stars aligned for it and such things as the Wireless pads were a revelation. Sure we'd had things like the Wavebird but it needed a dongle.

Gears of War was eye poppingly immersive, and that you could play online through the game with a friend? It seemed like the future had arrived.

Borderlands took this further, a wonderful 4 player experience - you never forget your first time.

When you combined that with such rough diamond gems as EDF 2017 - it seemed like this console could do everything.

Test Drive Unlimited was a remarkable highlight for me too. It made me want a TVR Tuscan (I back tracked in later years and now with a kid it's a family car!), and solidified my love of driving around listening to classical music. Faux-snob idiot for sure :D

Mass Effect 2 was. It just was. And is. I went to bed thinking about it. Garrus ftw.

Mass Effect 3 had a fricking killer Multiplayer mode. Easy to jump onto and smash up some Geth.

FIFA 11 with 11 players? Amaze.

It's easy to go on and on, with GTA, RDR, Rock Band, and the Xbox Live service which really took off on here.

If I could go back and go through it all again I would. Even over the SNES days.

It is easy to forget now how the 360 set the standard for console gaming today, with the wireless pads, integrated online, being able to buy games digitally, digital updates of games. We take all this for granted now but whilst some of these were available on previous consoles, like the Wavebird or Xbox Live on OG Xbox, the 360 integrated this from the word go.