Xbox 360 Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

On 23/03/2022 at 18:16, jamesy said:

Thanks for the advice. Yea soldering a gpu to the motherboard isn’t something I’d be able to tackle. Looks like a replacement is in order in that case. Should be able to pick one up for under £50 like you say. 

I picked up a slim with 2 controllers for £25, there are some good deals on eBay. 
I also picked up PGR4 and it is so good, I loved 3 but never really gave 4 a chance at the time (I got into Forza at that point). It’s been great playing through the career; I’d really like to get some multiplayer going, for some Cat and Mouse specifically, but it’s dead 😭

I’d been thinking about getting a thread going for ‘retro’ (pains me to type that about the 360) online games that work but lack populace 🤔

19 hours ago, Myron said:

I picked up a slim with 2 controllers for £25, there are some good deals on eBay. 
I also picked up PGR4 and it is so good, I loved 3 but never really gave 4 a chance at the time (I got into Forza at that point). It’s been great playing through the career; I’d really like to get some multiplayer going, for some Cat and Mouse specifically, but it’s dead 😭

I’d been thinking about getting a thread going for ‘retro’ (pains me to type that about the 360) online games that work but lack populace 🤔

I'm keeping my eye out for a good deal on one. I've been tempted to see if I can get one of those blue xbox 360e models too. They do seem a bit more expensive and also lack the analog out for rgb/vga connections which puts me off a bit.

That's a good idea to try and get some players onboard. Would be interested myself in quite a few different racing games and other genres if they're still playable.

On 02/04/2022 at 14:39, Mr Majestyk said:

Picked up a blue 360e using cex vouchers during lockdow . Really enjoying pgr, the old 007 games etc etc. The fact it also plays simpsons hit and run is a bonus. 

Did you notice it to be any quieter than older slim revisions at all? 

12 hours ago, jamesy said:

Did you notice it to be any quieter than older slim revisions at all? 

It's been so long since I've owned a slim I couldn't honestly compare. There's a definite background hum and the disk drive can be noisy depending on the disk (I think this is a disk age / slight warp thing), but when installed to HDD it's fine. 

Main reasons for going for it were the fact it's the last revision, so hopefully all bugs ironed out, and the 500gb HDD. 

On 02/04/2022 at 14:22, jamesy said:

I'm keeping my eye out for a good deal on one. I've been tempted to see if I can get one of those blue xbox 360e models too. They do seem a bit more expensive and also lack the analog out for rgb/vga connections which puts me off a bit.

That's a good idea to try and get some players onboard. Would be interested myself in quite a few different racing games and other genres if they're still playable.

I'll put a feeler out in this thread then; can we get enough players (8) to get some games of PGR4 going? Is there anyone out there...show yourself.

It’s in the garage. I’m not allowed any more consoles in the house (11 currently set up) but… I’d like to revisit pgr4. Not sure I even have a disc.

Also: the BHF shop in beckenham has a phat 360 in the window. £55. 

21 hours ago, SeanR said:

It’s in the garage. I’m not allowed any more consoles in the house (11 currently set up) but… I’d like to revisit pgr4. Not sure I even have a disc.

Also: the BHF shop in beckenham has a phat 360 in the window. £55. 

On one hand 11 is a lot of consoles to have out at once. On the other hand, 12 is only one more 🤷🏻‍♂️
3 people so far, is this going to require a dedicated thread? 🤔

Fair enough 😂

However, you bring up a valid point and I assume a lot of people will be in the 'I have a 360 and that game somewhere' category so the idea would be to give people enough notice to either find said items or pick them up. I'm thinking of dedicating the month to a game e.g every Thursdays 8pm GMT for the next month we will play PGR4. Then move on to the next game, or keep it going, depends what people want to do. I, for example, would like to play Monday Night Combat again.

Just throwing out ideas.

The PGR series is one of those where I really wanted to like it, but just didn't. I feel like they're a load of games that I should really enjoy playing, but they never really clicked with me. 

How do they play with a wheel? 

Okay, well there is a little interest going so I'll do a tester this week; this Thursday 8pm I'll put a custom lobby up and feel free to join. I can put a formal thread together going forward if there is enough demand for some organised 'retro' multiplayer games.

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

The PGR series is one of those where I really wanted to like it, but just didn't. I feel like they're a load of games that I should really enjoy playing, but they never really clicked with me. 

How do they play with a wheel? 

Never played PGR with a wheel, they are arcadey and I guess I always reserved wheels for simulation titles but they are probably great fun to throw a wheel around in.

I played pgr (think 3?) a bit with a wheel and i dont know, it wasnt the best implementation of force feedback. it helps with some long sweeping corners, its not bad either, and the game is still fun and pgr is an amazing game, but using a wheel doesnt transform the game like it does in a lot of other games imo. Pgr plays really well with a pad, the rumble feedback is brilliant.

The other half is going for a walk later.

I will give serious consideration to either bringing the 360 into the house, or buying another one.

Smaller. Darker. With built in wifi. 

I'm half tempted to get involved but the last time I tried to play a racing game online I was so bad everyone would have to wait 2 minutes for me to finish at the end of every race. 

Do you need to be subbed to Xbox Live still?

If it was Burnout or Flatout Ultimate Carnage maybe.

Oh it won’t be that serious of a time.

PGR has plenty of fun modes to play too; I basically wanted to organise this to play Cat & Mouse 😂

I’d assume you still need Gold unless that’s been removed from Xbox 360? I’ve got gamepass ultimate. 

next day: it was a complete wet fart and no one joined, you all let me down 😂

1 hour ago, Myron said:

It's been a week since you all let me down and we killed this thread 😂

Do I dare to try again? 🤔

I think the problem is you need an Xbox Live account or whatever they call it these days. If it was free or very cheap I'd pony up, but I can't justify the cost, sadly. 

2 hours ago, Myron said:

It's been a week since you all let me down and we killed this thread 😂

Do I dare to try again? 🤔

this post makes me very sad.

the way I see it, while I’m not allowed to “bring any more consoles in from the garage”, that doesn’t say anything about buying another one.

in black.

so she doesn’t notice it.

51F293D9-A196-486D-8831-C594733407F1.jpeg.99dca120ccce51af48f0b0ee63b9993b.jpeg

On 22/04/2022 at 14:04, SeanR said:

this post makes me very sad.

the way I see it, while I’m not allowed to “bring any more consoles in from the garage”, that doesn’t say anything about buying another one.

in black.

so she doesn’t notice it.

51F293D9-A196-486D-8831-C594733407F1.jpeg.99dca120ccce51af48f0b0ee63b9993b.jpeg

Fucking how much ??

On 22/04/2022 at 13:00, Vimster said:

I think the problem is you need an Xbox Live account or whatever they call it these days. If it was free or very cheap I'd pony up, but I can't justify the cost, sadly. 

Yeah, I get that, if it's something I can get organised though then you can probably grab a gamepass ultimate month pass for £1; that gives you gold too. Just need to get 8 people 😂

9 minutes ago, Myron said:

Yeah, I get that, if it's something I can get organised though then you can probably grab a gamepass ultimate month pass for £1; that gives you gold too. Just need to get 8 people 😂

Or... just ask if anyone has any of those 48 hour Live trials kicking about, I am pretty sure I've a spare few that are no good to me, as I buy / sell a decent amount of 360 titles, there is usually a 48 hr card in there, they're no good to me, so often get binned, I'm happy to hang on to them so people can have them for the odd game of PGR here n there though.

45 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

Or... just ask if anyone has any of those 48 hour Live trials kicking about, I am pretty sure I've a spare few that are no good to me, as I buy / sell a decent amount of 360 titles, there is usually a 48 hr card in there, they're no good to me, so often get binned, I'm happy to hang on to them so people can have them for the odd game of PGR here n there though.

Good point! I wondered if they were still a thing anymore or even valid at this point. Plus it's been hard enough trying to arrange a PGR meetup let alone a code exchange 😂

Just now, Myron said:

Good point! I wondered if they were still a thing anymore or even valid at this point. Plus it's been hard enough trying to arrange a PGR meetup let alone a code exchange 😂

Looks to the left, see's a Green Xbox card, expects it to be a 48hr... turns out it's a 1 month one!! I'll hold on to this one 😛

In reserve, I definitely have:-

8 x 2 Day

1 x 3 day

4 x 14 day

Both my 360E and PGR4 turned up today.  I taking them home?

Am I fuck.

Ok, the disc-only Gotham is in my bag.

i also have my seriesS box, and jap launch Saturn to sneak into the house.