Xbox 360 Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

Few suggestions from me. Always thought these didn’t get a lot of attention and I really enjoyed each one.

The Club
Alice: Madness Returns

El Shaddai
Space Marine

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron

Transformers: War for Cybertron

Mini Ninjas

Lollipop Chainsaw

Child of Eden is pretty trippy. It’s also very pretty.

Espgaluda 2 is another region free CAVE shooter.

Mushihimisama Futari is as above.

Soldier of Fortune 2 is a fun FPS that doesn’t take itself seriously.

Dante’s Inferno is a 3rd person God of War type game based on the Inferno part of The Divine Comedy

Deathsmiles is CAVE’s finest piece of work in my opinion

Persona 4 Arena is basically Guilty Gear or BlazBlue with Persona characters.

WarTech: Senko no Ronde is a one vs one arena shoot em up. Quite interesting, I found it balls out difficult though.

edit: Just seen you have WarTech. Fun game!

• 1 month later...

Dusted off my 360 this evening and set that up for a bit of a nostalgia trip. For some reason it took ages to authenticate the games on my drive but eventually it sorted itself, and woo, plenty of stuff to be getting on with.

However, I just spent about 2 hours playing Chime, hugely addictive but christ on a bike that D-pad. I'd forgotten how shit it was, even on the newer black version. That game requires fast and accurate placing of blocks, forget it. Frustrating.

Anyway, getting the big box of games out, having a play on some XBLIG/XBLA titles, should be a decent weekend.

Was looking at picking up a few cheap 360 games, I mean no-one wants them these days what with it being two generations back and all... Oh, thanks, backwards compatibility, for keeping the prices of games high. Even 3 or 4 years ago 360 games were generally going for pennies. This is no fun any more. 

11 minutes ago, Camel said:

I thought they were still generally very cheap? Which games are you finding expensive?

A quick glance at Amazon Marketplace was showing games like Forza Horizon 2 as going for minimum of £20, OG Xbox games like SSX Tricky and SSX3 are going in the £15-20 range, I fancied a copy of Tony Hawk American Wasteland and that's getting on for £20 on there too. Might try eBay and see if things are more reasonable. Kingdom Of Amalur: Reckoning is minimum £20. 

Was just surprised because normally at this point in the cycle that gen's games would pretty much mostly be sub-£10 max.

Looking at picking up Pure, thankfully that appears to be really cheap. 

19 hours ago, Vimster said:

A quick glance at Amazon Marketplace was showing games like Forza Horizon 2 as going for minimum of £20, OG Xbox games like SSX Tricky and SSX3 are going in the £15-20 range, I fancied a copy of Tony Hawk American Wasteland and that's getting on for £20 on there too. Might try eBay and see if things are more reasonable. Kingdom Of Amalur: Reckoning is minimum £20. 

Was just surprised because normally at this point in the cycle that gen's games would pretty much mostly be sub-£10 max.

Looking at picking up Pure, thankfully that appears to be really cheap. 

Forza Horizon seems to hold it's value. I paid around £20 each for both 1 and 2 about three years ago. They were really popular, so surely can't be R@RE, so I don't quite get why this would be.

As an aside, but relevant for the thread, I actually prefer Forza Horizon 2 on 360 to the Bone version. It feels a bit more focused and is a lot easier to work your way through the races. You can either pick a category and complete all the races across the map or pick a location and complete all the categories there. It didn't have the DLC, and there was a bit of the map weirdly blocked off - like it really seems like there was a problem with part of it and, rather than fix it, they just blocked the only road in and out of that section - but it's still a better game, IMO. I think I might revisit it...

I am positive these aren't all of my physical 360 games but I am in the midst of having a big sort-out here and may unearth them soon. This was a small box under the bed. 

Too Human, a fellow forumite and I were out doing some charity-shopping years ago and saw two copies for next to nothing and thought that should be a laugh. And indeed we did have a laugh playing it in co-op one evening. What a wasted opportunity of a game full of baffling design decisions (right-stick to attack and not control the camera?)

Gears 2 - Got given this just before Christmas 2008. I was sent home from work ill a couple of days before the 25th, turned out I had the flu. Played this all over Christmas and completed it (rare for me), even did some Horde mode. 

The Club - Still a fantastic game, really tricky with a controller though. 

FUEL - ambitious, probably a bit too empty for some but I enjoyed just driving about finding the barrels and taking in the scenery. 

Do-Don Pachi Resurrection goes for good money these days by the looks, £30-50. My girlfriend at the time saw me playing this and wanted a go. She'd never played anything like it. My heart soared when, getting a Game Over, she hit start and had another go!

photostudio_1601546262966.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I picked up another 9 games from CEX for the 360 yesterday. This time it cost me £19. Starting to run out of really cheap, decent condition titles I still need in my local CEX now though. Saying that, I’ve bought 28 games in the last few weeks, and the most expensive was The Evil Within at £4.

Dusted mine off today - it's been next to the PS3 and Xbox One, so never been put away, but hasn't been powered up probably for a year or two...and my kids wanted to play Rock Band.

Fired it up...and sadly got a one red light of death, so annoyingly looks like my 250gb hard drive is kaput so wonder what save games I've lost there...found my previous hard drive out in the loft and remembered that one was kaput too. Annoying.

Fired up Rock Band to find my bass kick drum pedal isn't registering anymore with the drum kit....the old wireless guitar hero guitar I have wasn't connecting...but most saddening was my RB3 keyboard has some how developed rust in the battery compartment (it's just been downstairs in a gap near to the TV gathering dust) with a spring so rusted it was close to falling off, and the positive end of the middle battery seemed too far gone with the rust. Any ideas if anyone can fix them?

So looking on Facebook marketplace to see if I can find a replacement 360 just for the hard drive - £15 on ebay or might as well get another system and some more controllers I guess...had a look through my games as thought I had loads which aren't BC but don't have as many as I thought...but know it's easy enough to switch on in future tempted to pick up some other random none BC bits - stuff like 50 Cent: Blood In The Sands which I hear is a ridiculous hoot. See the above recommendations, some of which wouldn't be up my street, some of which I've already played (Lollipop Chainsaw etc) Might have to have a good ganders in CEX when we're out of lockdown.

8 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Point of note, it’s not just a regular hdd. It has a peculiar security sector setting. 

only on the phat 360 though, right? The S* and E Acould be any drive, dropped straight in?

* you could even forgo the caddy if you wanted

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

only on the phat 360 though, right? The S* and E Acould be any drive, dropped straight in?

* you could even forgo the caddy if you wanted

No. The drive still needs the security sectors. A method was found to write these on third party drives but it wasn’t a simple task. 

27 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

No. The drive still needs the security sectors. A method was found to write these on third party drives but it wasn’t a simple task. 

that's terrible. At least the PS3 did something right...

Wait, 360 games are going up in price? I filled my collection for on average less than a fiver per game. Even something sought after, like Katamarii, cost only £8 in CEX, and I considered that a bit high.

Anyone here JTAG their box? I still want a means of unlocking all my rare XBLIG demos. :(

11 hours ago, Sketch said:

Wait, 360 games are going up in price? I filled my collection for on average less than a fiver per game. Even something sought after, like Katamarii, cost only £8 in CEX, and I considered that a bit high.

Anyone here JTAG their box? I still want a means of unlocking all my rare XBLIG demos. :(

I'd say they were at their lowest ever at the moment except for a very small number of titles which are on their way up. 

18 hours ago, Sketch said:

I RGH'd a second hand elite I picked up for £30 just so I could have Scott Pilgrim/ Jet Set Radio Future machine!

On 18/10/2020 at 18:18, Gabe said:

What's the state of emulation of this now and do any of them read actual 360 discs (as I have a fair few I've never played and don't really have the inclination to get my machine out of storage)?

Pretty good but PC drives can't read 360 disks and no software will ever fix that.

17 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Yep. Have to hand that to Sony. No shenanigans with the hard drives on any of the ps’s. 

Until the PS5, albeit for good reasons.

On 09/11/2020 at 18:06, Ninja Doctor said:

Point of note, it’s not just a regular hdd. It has a peculiar security sector setting. 

On 09/11/2020 at 18:10, Jei said:

I may be wrong but didn’t they start banning live accounts / 360’s if the incorrect drives were used?

Ah. I've only done it for a modded 360, I think. 

On 09/11/2020 at 11:08, luth714 said:

Yeah its the one that sits on top of the machine. I'd have no idea what I'm doing with something like that. Guessing there must be Youtube videos on it...will have a ganders...

What size drive are you after? I think I have a couple of spares knocking about that you could have.  I think they're all pretty small.