Jump to content
rllmuk
Lorfarius

Xbox 360 Appreciation Thread

Recommended Posts

Now I know there's going to be some arguing over whether this is really retro or not but the system came out in 2006... to date there's well over 1000 games (1278 by my Excel count!) and it's reaching PS2 levels of older game releases. So with that in mind I'm getting in early :lol:

 

Back in 2006 if we went back 10 years the likes of the SNES, MD, PS1, N64 etc were considered retro (just look at Retro Gamer for the time) so the 360 is getting there. That's my justification anyway!

 

On a few recent trips to indie stores I noticed the market had pretty much bottomed out and looking at the rarer titles in the ordinary cases (not including special editions yet) goes above £50. Most titles are just a few quid with the odd exception, with this in mind I picked up a 360 slim and wireless pad for £60 as well as a nice pile of games:

 

image.jpg

 

The sock was not included.  Now I did do another trip yesterday and picked up about 20 games but I'll snap them another time, for the moment I've just been looking at getting a load of bundles and filling out piles of a collection that way. I've also prepped a few external HD's for full installs and to get the patches whilst they are still available! That's the biggest worry that MS will pull the plug at some point and we will just be left with the standard releases. Fine on most games but on stuff like Bioware titles it'd be a mess.

 

I've compiled what I think is a current list of every PAL title including a list at the bottom of PAL exclusives which has a surprising few. Now this list is up to date as of 27th March but there's bound to be the odd title that will slip out that I'm not aware of.

 

Link

 

I sourced most of it from the official Xbox Achievements website, seeing as every game had them they were listed here so it's double takes as an accurate list. I coudln't find anything more complete so we are stuck with mine.

 

I'm not dabbling in any other countries but I might wander over to some of the Japan releases as I believe there's a fair few decent rare games there (suggestions below!).

 

Will I ever complete this? Who knows.... but with the price of games so low I could get through huge chunks of it without a sweat. Couple of titles I'm really looking forward to are DJ Hero and Guitar Hero with peripherals for example.  I know a huge chunk of these will shoot up in price over the next few years (just look at the PS2 and Wii!) so seems the best time.

 

I had a 360 at launch and it was fun to go back to games I bought over 10 years ago and just redownload them. Was playing around with Geometry Wars/Sensible Soccer last night both of which are amazing games (I bought Sensi around 2007!). There's loads of games I just missed, in particular the likes of Kingdoms of Amalur come to mind which still hold up pretty well to this day.

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of me is saying, 'christ, no', as it's still a current console.  Another part of me wants to join in as it's possibly my favourite console ever, and I still use mine regularly. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Camel said:

Part of me is saying, 'christ, no', as it's still a current console.  Another part of me wants to join in as it's possibly my favourite console ever, and I still use mine regularly. 

 

I was messing with the avatar settings last night, mine still had his cool hipster hat and Halo 3 shirt. It all seemed to fall away when they ditched the proper themes forcing the current square look on us. Looks pretty ugly I'm afraid and I always preferred the old one!

 

Also.... do they still do Summer of arcade?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have a problem with the Xbox 360 being in this folder now. I've actually been building up a little collection myself when I realised you could pick up games like Bayonetta for £2. I'll post my games tonight if I remember.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

 

I was messing with the avatar settings last night, mine still had his cool hipster hat and Halo 3 shirt. It all seemed to fall away when they ditched the proper themes forcing the current square look on us. Looks pretty ugly I'm afraid and I always preferred the old one!

 

Also.... do they still do Summer of arcade?

 

Nah, the focus is Xbox One now.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr Do 71 said:

 

Nah, the focus is Xbox One now.

 

Silly really there's such a huge back catalogue there. Looking at the 360 store last night the avatar clothing was priced for £2-£3 in most cases. Seems like the ideal time to hack and slash at those prices, prompt people to buy some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if I would call the 360 retro while games are still being produced for it, but they must be getting thin on the ground now. 

 

You can certainly Hoover up a load of bargains at the moment. CEX seem to have dropped their prices recently the amount of decent games under £2 is suprising.  The stuff from their website is normally better than the stores in my experience.

 

Are there any rare 360 games we should be looking out for? I would have thought any games produced would have been in significant numbers. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only ones I know of are Tales of Vesperia (though I think that got another print run) and Tornado Outbreak (which you can pick up fairly cheaply).  I guess Marvel vs Capcom?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both of which seem to be about £20 a pop so I'll try to get them as soon as possible whilst they are still cheap! The only problem I've found with CEX is they don't say whether there's a manual (even in store) so it can be a right pain having to say no to loads.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

That's the biggest worry that MS will pull the plug at some point and we will just be left with the standard releases. Fine on most games but on stuff like Bioware titles it'd be a mess.

 

This won't happen. You can manually install patches by injecting them onto a USB stick and there are sites out there busy archiving them all.

 

I've used the injection method in the past to install the GTAV title updates on an offline machine.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Blu3Flame said:

 

This won't happen. You can manually install patches by injecting them onto a USB stick and there are sites out there busy archiving them all.

 

I've used the injection method in the past to install the GTAV title updates on an offline machine.

 

Awesome! That's my biggest worry gone :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "it can't be retro if games are being made for it" logic is what makes people call the Dreamcast a current system because some NG.DEV game came out last month or whatever. ;) 

 

I traded in most of my collection but I still have about 10-20 games on a shelf and my Slim model works just as well as it did on release. :wub: The 360 was my introduction to the seventh gen and the first time in a while that I had the disposable income to shell out on new gaming stuff. I think I got the original white box with PGR3, Gears and (don't laugh) Tony Hawk's 8, but it was a great time for gamers. It was the first time I really tried online console gaming as well, and when you found yourself in the right group of people it was a lot of fun. Special mention to the rllmuk Super SFIV lobby regulars, of course.

 

There was a lot of rubbish like NXE, and avatars, and how Kinect was going to be the next big thing (embarrassingly, I was pretty close to buying a Kinect unit myself - I think it was only the space restriction that stopped me), but when it was just playing great games you could have a lot of fun. Also, in terms of the seventh gen as a whole, I think it was impressive that it lasted so long and we got dozens of great games over so many years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr Do has sold me a couple of games, but I have realised I need about 16 cases as the ones I bought from stores are in a terrible state. A fair few have white printed labels on which just rip and tear to the case, any suggestions for getting them off?

 

Trying to behave myself and not go for anything expensive right now but I've got about 100 games in total most of which are winging their way to me now. Last night I managed to snag 10 games for £7.69! Including postage, now there's a couple of Fifa's in there (which I don't have) as well as a Madden, Xbox Live Arcade and Dance Central etc. but it gets a lot of the gunk out of the way. Even if I don't play a lot the prices are fantastic for hording :lol: This is from the auction:

 

s-l1600.jpg

 

I really want a Guitar Hero setup but after noticing the differences between GH Live and the numbered series having a dif guitar I held off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

The only problem I've found with CEX is they don't say whether there's a manual (even in store) so it can be a right pain having to say no to loads.

 

CEX don't have a consistent policy with how they store the manuals. Half the time they leave them in the cases on the shop floor and the other half they store behind the counter with the game disk. Easiest thing to do is only buy games with a manual already in the case.

 

Also for cheap replacement cases, search for the cheapest games in CEX with as new cases. There's usually something for no more than £0.50.

14 hours ago, X_2_0 said:

Are there any rare 360 games we should be looking out for? I would have thought any games produced would have been in significant numbers. 

 

 

Bully used to be fairly expensive - although it's getting a physical re-release in the next few weeks.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Blu3Flame said:

 

This won't happen. You can manually install patches by injecting them onto a USB stick and there are sites out there busy archiving them all.

 

I've used the injection method in the past to install the GTAV title updates on an offline machine.

 

Is this only on chipped machines or what? More to the point, could it be done on Bone? I have a digital copy of Forza Horizon that doesn't update, so is missing some content...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

 

Is this only on chipped machines or what? More to the point, could it be done on Bone? I have a digital copy of Forza Horizon that doesn't update, so is missing some content...

 

It'll be chipped machines, beside in a few years it won't matter as the servers will disappear like they did on the Xbox so will be the only way to get stuff.

Just now, nakamura said:

Nothing high definition is retro.

 

nes-classic-edition-box.jpg?quality=98&s

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

Is this only on chipped machines or what? More to the point, could it be done on Bone? I have a digital copy of Forza Horizon that doesn't update, so is missing some content...

 

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

It'll be chipped machines, beside in a few years it won't matter as the servers will disappear like they did on the Xbox so will be the only way to get stuff.

 

Unless Microsoft have changed something since I did it then it's for unchipped machines. You simply use a tool that lets you browse USB devices formatted for the 360 and put the files in a specific location.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You've convinced me so I'll be signing up to Live tonight and seeing what I can pick up :lol: That's a nifty site as well!

 

I've decided against big box collection stuff, it'd be never ending.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/03/2017 at 10:49, Lorfarius said:

Now I know there's going to be some arguing over whether this is really retro or not but the system came out in 2006...

 

They really shouldn't do that.

 

It came out on the 2nd of December 2005 :P

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

 

CEX don't have a consistent policy with how they store the manuals. Half the time they leave them in the cases on the shop floor and the other half they store behind the counter with the game disk. Easiest thing to do is only buy games with a manual already in the case.

 

Also for cheap replacement cases, search for the cheapest games in CEX with as new cases. There's usually something for no more than £0.50.

 

Bully used to be fairly expensive - although it's getting a physical re-release in the next few weeks.

actually had a conversation about manuals in my local CEX today they see Gamecube Original Xbox PS2 etc manuals as "non essential" its only Snes Mega drive etc what they call retro that are "essential"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MatOfTheDead said:

actually had a conversation about manuals in my local CEX today they see Gamecube Original Xbox PS2 etc manuals as "non essential" its only Snes Mega drive etc what they call retro that are "essential"

 

They actually grade what they regard as retro between unboxed, boxed and mint. They probably need to add an extra category for excellent/near mint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can still buy them new in the shops and they're still making games for it! Ban this sick filth.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/03/2017 at 10:49, Lorfarius said:

Now I know there's going to be some arguing over whether this is really retro or not but the system came out in 2005... to date there's well over 1000 games (1278 by my Excel count!) and it's reaching PS2 levels of older game releases. So with that in mind I'm getting in early :lol:

 

 

Corrected your opening statement there it got released in 2005 so it's older than you think. Not sure if it's quite retro just yet, but there are plenty of retro games on the system, some however like Speedball 2, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle arcade, X-Men Arcade & Double Dragon have now been delisted. However there are still plenty of retro games to buy, all games where heavily mass produced so will be fairly common to find. Remember all consoles have minimum production numbers for each game.

 

One to look at for is the first print of Quake IV, which comes with the HD1080p version of Quake 2 on a bonus second disc. The RPGs and Shooters will likely also go up in price a bit but all where heavily printed.

 

That said now is the perfect time to pick up cheap copies of most games so if you want to start collecting do so now if you haven't already, seeing as I've owned the console in 2008, I've picked up most game that I want on the system.

 

Also I think in total you are looking at around 2000+ games on the system, this has had a huge number of titles released on it both at retail and at digital level.

 

[Edit, quick note but you're missing Crash Time 1 & 2 on the list, and I couldn't see 3 on your main list only the PAL only list. based on a German TV show I heard.]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=Crash+Time+2+360&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XCrash+Time+360.TRS0&_nkw=Crash+Time+360&_sacat=0

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Riven said:

 

Also I think in total you are looking at around 2000+ games on the system, this has had a huge number of titles released on it both at retail and at digital level.

 

[Edit, quick note but you're missing Crash Time 1 & 2 on the list, and I couldn't see 3 on your main list only the PAL only list. based on a German TV show I heard.]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=Crash+Time+2+360&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XCrash+Time+360.TRS0&_nkw=Crash+Time+360&_sacat=0

 

Added! If anyone notices stuff missing just let me know. I've built this list from the Achievements so it's possible a few have slipped through.

 

Without pirating, sadly, I think the digital ones are no longer achieveable. I'll probably pick up a modded Xbox at some point.

11 hours ago, deKay said:

You can still buy them new in the shops and they're still making games for it! Ban this sick filth.

 

We just old.

 

So... what are the interesting games? Anything odd and a bit bizarre that sticks in your minds people? DJ Hero is probably the first that comes to my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm I would class xbox 360 as retro now. It's been out for 12 years! 

 

I was pretty sure games had stopped being produced. I expect Fifa is still being released yearly but the last game of any importance for me was Rise of the tomb raider. After that, i just dig it out to play Rock Band with some friends a few times a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.