Breath of the Wild PC Emulation

18 hours ago, stefcha said:

Sorry to take things away from the piracy discussion that's the same as it was since the dawn of time, but how does the emulator handle the motion control parts in this, what does it map them to?

Going back to this original question, in Dolphin you can map any waggle implementation to some function on a normal people controller. For example, shaking the controller to make Mario spin can be mapped to a normal people button press. The seesaw platformers in New Mario can be mapped to the normal people analogue triggers, with proper analogue function so you can hold the correct height and everything. And flailing about can be mapped to the normal people right analogue stick. I assume they've implemented a similar solution in CEMU, or else they will at some point.

24 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

THe first tilt shrine I came to I was playing using the  WiiU Gamepad screen. I almost ended up head over heels trying to get the right tilt. And then I switched to the TV screen. It's not a off screen friendly puzzle.

Yet on the switch I found it so much easier doing the first one in handheld mode ^_^ I was not a fan of that puzzle so not really looking forward to any of the others.

I think I've played 3 shrines which had motion controls in them? They were all pretty short too. They're not great but it's an incredibly small part of the game. I think it's actually literally tens of hours ago since I last saw one.

I've also only seen 3:

The one with the maze where you can just flip the entire thing upside down for an easy win.

The "golf" one where you have to swing a hammer to hit a ball into a hole. I enjoyed that one.

One where you had to get three balls in cups. A bit like those handheld stocking filler kids games.

Probably about 5 minutes gameplay in total out of the 90+ hours I've put into the game so far.

22 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Going back to this original question, in Dolphin you can map any waggle implementation to some function on a normal people controller. For example, shaking the controller to make Mario spin can be mapped to a normal people button press. The seesaw platformers in New Mario can be mapped to the normal people analogue triggers, with proper analogue function so you can hold the correct height and everything. And flailing about can be mapped to the normal people right analogue stick. I assume they've implemented a similar solution in CEMU, or else they will at some point.

Thing is, with most of those they're functions that either suit mapping to a button press (digital or analogue) or a mouse pointer. Motion control seems a bit more subtle and requiring 3D manipulation in BotW, so who knows. Actually, Skyward Sword uses the WMP more than so most I wonder how that works in Dolphin, maybe it'd be similar? Flying the bird and stuff? Steam Controller would be good at handling it, if it was to be something that could somehow be directly mapped though.

2 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I've also only seen 3:

Probably about 5 minutes gameplay in total out of the 90+ hours I've put into the game so far.

One I played besides those did my nut, it was some 3D landscape I had to rotate the right way to make the path across. I just could not get it in my head how I was supposed to be rotating the controller, presumably there was an easier way of doing it but by the time I finally had it lined up my arms were crossed and the fucking pad was upside down. Then, then I realised I had to press B to get out of rotation to try walk over the bastard thing. I was so contorted I was barely anywhere near the buttons, and I almost launched the fucking tablet out of the window when I ended up moving the thing miles out of alignment trying to stab the correct button to lock it in place. In the end I had the whole thing at a very funny angle where I could just edge up a metal surface and only just manage to jump off the end to reach the other side. I'm pretty certain that was not the intended solution, given the geometry involved. Best of all, there was a chest on the underside of it so I felt obliged to go through this rigmarole twice.

Fortunately they're rare, but if an emulated version makes that bit actually bearable then I'll be the first to put a big "DEFINITIVE VERSION!" stamp on it.

41 minutes ago, stefcha said:

Thing is, with most of those they're functions that either suit mapping to a button press (digital or analogue) or a mouse pointer. Motion control seems a bit more subtle and requiring 3D manipulation in BotW, so who knows. Actually, Skyward Sword uses the WMP more than so most I wonder how that works in Dolphin, maybe it'd be similar? Flying the bird and stuff? Steam Controller would be good at handling it, if it was to be something that could somehow be directly mapped though.

No idea about SS, after buying ( :( ) and trying it on the Wii I have no desire to ever play it again. Emulated or otherwise. But the flying bit in Mario Galaxy 2 where you tilt the Wiimote is easily mapped to an analog stick - forward to tilt forward etc. The analog stick is, well, analog, so it allows for precise control.  Is that what you mean?

On 26/03/2017 at 13:20, Mentazm said:

Yes, phone changed word. Getting between 20-30fps. I'd like to know what someone like @pcmasterrace would get.

It's probably been mentioned somewhere between page 1 and page 15, but the game/engine is most likely locked at 30 and no amount of GPU power will increase that.

As for the morality of it, emulation is a thing people are always going to do, and it's usually beneficial in the long term.

I paid about 300 quid to play Zelda and it was worth it, but when I was a poor student I also emulated Ocarina of Time soonish after it came out for my first play through.

As for piracy I always thought Gabe Newell has a pretty good stance, that piracy is a result of bad service/availability/pricing/quality rather than people wanting to steal stuff. I know I haven't pirated a game for donkeys years, since around the time Steam got big a couple of years after it came out.

Some people just 'won't buy Nintendo cos it's for kids' though but will probably happily pirate it 'just to see what the fuss is about' and even if the fuss ends up lasting for hours and hours and hours, it doesn't matter, cos Nintendo are shit and make games for kids(TM).

17 hours ago, angel said:

Seriously? It's blurry on a monitor never mind blown up to a 50" 4k tv.  It's a nice piece of work but it looks better in 3d on a real machine.

Really? Are you under the impression that it stays at the same internal resolution?  The output is being rendered in 4k in this instance.  As for textures, people release hi-res texture packs that you can download. 

Honestly though, with better texture filtering, the default ones don't look so bad.

• 4 months later...

Anyone played this on PC recently? I grabbed 1.9 cemu that came out a few weeks ago, but it seems to have really gone downhill. Around release 1.5 or so I was getting smooth 30fps in dungeons and 20-30 in the open world, but now it's more like 15 with constant control lag dips. It seemed to be running smoothly when it was taking ages to cache the game at the start. Now it almost instantly loads, there seems to be issues. How do I make the game cache instead of instantly load?

• 2 months later...

This is now done:

Fully playable at 30fps with 4k, shaders, AA, everything, all the way through without glitches (can be unlocked to 60 too). Ultrawide support, custom graphics support, and fully moddable.

The game looks incredible when upscaled.

With a semi decent laptop you could play it anywhere, I guess. Not sure why you'd want to though - the whole appeal of the project is to make the ultimate big-screen version of Zelda, fixing all the performance issues, suspect shaders and jaggies in the original release.

To that end, I think they've succeeded.

This perhaps isn't the thread for it, but what's even more mental is that they've also gotten the emulator to a stage where you can play Mario Kart 8 online with other players. 

29 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

Well that post just lost me an hour setting up Cemu again and I still can't get this smooth enough to be playable. The frametimes are horrific. Yeah looks nice in screenshots though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cemu/comments/6skf8f/text_guide_for_setting_up_cemu_botw_with_links/

Have you set it up properly? It works fine, but you also need Cemuhook (extract to your cemu directory) and these graphic packs (extract to your graphic packs directory) . It also helps to have the shader cache file downloaded and extracted to the right folder (default is cemu\shadercache\transferable)

Once you have those three downloaded and in the right directories, make sure you've ticked the "FPS++" and "1440p" (or higher if your PC can handle it) and "NVidia explosion smoke" graphic addons when running the game, and it'll be at least 30fps constant with no stuttering or glitches.

I'm genuinely playing at 40-50fps at 4k with no issues (lowest I've seen it dip is to 32fps, which is still better than the retail game)

That shader cache file is important because then you're running the game with all the shaders already loaded into memory - without it it'll stutter as it'll have to write the shaders into memory as and when you see them, which causes stuttering.

Also - the emulator runs far better on Intel vs. AMD chips, so if you're on an AMD CPU you may have issues.

5 hours ago, Isaac said:

This is now done:

Fully playable at 30fps with 4k, shaders, AA, everything, all the way through without glitches (can be unlocked to 60 too). Ultrawide support, custom graphics support, and fully moddable.

The game looks incredible when upscaled.

God it looks beautiful, makes me want Nintendo to hurry up and have their console business fail, cause we'd get a much better looking and running Zelda on PS4 (and of course play it on Vita/ any mobile phone for those saying "only Switch you can play on toilet/bus/etc", seem to forget you can play PS4 games on Vita/Android/iOS). Nintendo and their dev teams make my favourite video games of all time, I just hate how ass-backwards their hardware constantly is.

21 minutes ago, Isaac said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/cemu/comments/6skf8f/text_guide_for_setting_up_cemu_botw_with_links/

Have you set it up properly? It works fine, but you also need Cemuhook (extract to your cemu directory) and these graphic packs (extract to your graphic packs directory) . It also helps to have the shader cache file downloaded and extracted to the right folder (default is cemu\shadercache\transferable)

Once you have those three downloaded and in the right directories, make sure you've ticked the "FPS++" and "1440p" (or higher if your PC can handle it) and "NVidia explosion smoke" graphic addons when running the game, and it'll be at least 30fps constant with no stuttering or glitches.

I'm genuinely playing at 40-50fps at 4k with no issues (lowest I've seen it dip is to 32fps, which is still better than the retail game)

That shader cache file is important because then you're running the game with all the shaders already loaded into memory - without it it'll stutter as it'll have to write the shaders into memory as and when you see them, which causes stuttering.

Also - the emulator runs far better on Intel vs. AMD chips, so if you're on an AMD CPU you may have issues.

Thanks for that but already tried it all. Maybe my i7 4790k at 4.5 isn't up to it.

It's playable but noticeably choppy even though afterburner is reporting a constant 30 FPS. 

While I would not wish Nintendo hardware business fail and I cannot see it happening anytime soon with Switch sales rocketing.  I'm quite happy for modders to give us better looking and performing versions of Nintendo classics.  As long as users are purchasing legit copies.