Breath of the Wild PC Emulation

Ultra-high res emulation just looks a little strange to me. I can't put my finger on it. Perhaps it's the fact that the textures in use were never supposed to be viewed like that, or possibly highlights geometry shortcomings that you wouldn't be so drawn to at lower res. Or perhaps that's just because I'm watching a video rather than actually playing it. Who knows.

26 minutes ago, BruceBruce said:

Genuine question.. people actually buy 3DS systems to play their games in 3D?

fuck yes, hyrule field gives me boners for days in 3d.

the 3d effects ranges from "meh" to "this is real life"

1 hour ago, Ersatz Nihilist said:

Ultra-high res emulation just looks a little strange to me. I can't put my finger on it. Perhaps it's the fact that the textures in use were never supposed to be viewed like that

I'm not a fan of hi-res versions when the textures are much lower in the first place. It manages to look more sloppy than a lo-res version on original hardware, and I mentally file it alongside those ugly filters that smear pixel art.

2 hours ago, angel said:

Yes emulators look nice but I was playing it 3 years ago on my Wii U with pro pad versus the forum online.  An offline Mariokart 8 without friends lists, a big TV and racing others is pointless.

This week EG had a story about Dolphin (Wii emulator) being so accurate that you can sign into the eShop and buy games through it, so multiplayer might be a possibility in the future.

And I've played a bit of MK8 online. It was okay but I've enjoyed it most in local MP. Everyone sat around the TV, wrestling with entirely different control methods, shouting at each other for help, hoping that someone might know what button is shoot when you're playing with just a wiimote (they won't). Great fun.

Well hey, if Nintendo made their own emulator..... 

That's a joke, but I honestly would pay a monthly fee to play Nintendo games directly on my PC legally.  Not through streaming though. Maybe an app similar to Steam or Origin, that lets you either purchase single games to add to your library, or pay a monthly fee to access everything.  And it opens them up directly in the app.

It will never ever happen... but it would be beautiful.  I understand that Nintendo is in the business of selling hardware, but they have moved to the mobile market recently, so..

1 hour ago, angel said:

Seriously? It's blurry on a monitor never mind blown up to a 50" 4k tv.  It's a nice piece of work but it looks better in 3d on a real machine.

Looks nice and clean to me. If I were to play OOT now I think I'd rather play it like that than on a tiny 3DS screen.

I've recently picked up a 3DS. Might play Majora on it but I'm not sure playing that kind of game on a 3 inch screen is going to work so well.

17 hours ago, stefcha said:

Sorry to take things away from the piracy discussion that's the same as it was since the dawn of time, but how does the emulator handle the motion control parts in this, what does it map them to?

I'm playing with a pro controller on wii u and no motion controls here thank god. Would be a shame if one of the best games of all time would be tarnished with that. No problem using an xbox controller if the pro works, no?

5 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I'm playing with a pro controller on wii u and no motion controls here thank god. Would be a shame if one of the best games of all time would be tarnished with that. No problem using an xbox controller if the pro works, no?

A few of the shrines have motion controls. 

20 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

A few of the shrines have motion controls. 

Again, I'm playing the game with a pro controller without motion controls. So they're optional. At least on Wii U they are. If you're telling me the motion nonsense isn't optional in the Switch version, then I'm REALLY glad I bought the Wii U version! :D

Wii U version = best version confirmed? Twilight Princess all over again?

8 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Again, I'm playing the game with a pro controller without motion controls. So they're optional. At least on Wii U they are. If you're telling me the motion nonsense isn't optional in the Switch version, then I'm REALLY glad I bought the Wii U version! :D

They're not optional on the Wii U either I believe, you must have not reached the relevant shrines yet.

Just now, Blu3Flame said:

They're not optional on the Wii U either I believe, you must have not reached the relevant shrines yet.

But how the fuck does the game support the pro controller then? Is it going to tell me at that point, 'so sorry could you please use a different controller. Please understand' ?

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

But how the fuck does the game support the pro controller then? Is it going to tell me at that point, 'so sorry could you please use a different controller. Please understand' ?

Yes. Although you don't have to do them if you don't want.

edit: And motion control is built into the Switch Pro controller.

3 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Yeah it does that. Annoying.

:(

3 minutes ago, stefcha said:

Yes. Although you don't have to do them if you don't want.

edit: And motion control is built into the Switch Pro controller.

Not in the Wii U pro controller that I'm using!

4 minutes ago, Blu3Flame said:

Yes. You'll have to swap controller at some point.

Maybe I should start playing Nioh instead. This is heartbreaking, the game has been soooo fucking good until now. I don't want that marvellous experiences, all those wonderful memories, to be spoiled by... this.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

:(

Maybe I should start playing Nioh instead. This is heartbreaking, the game has been soooo fucking good until now. I don't want that marvellous experiences, all those wonderful memories, to be spoiled by... this.

I know you hate waggle, but it's so, so minor in this. It really is a tiny part of the game, and it works fine. You're just rolling balls around a maze or whatever, it's a piece of piss to control. And one of them (that I've seen anyway) has a clever "cheat" to bypass it.

Put it this way - if you're a normal person with any sort of perspective on things at all, it won't come even close to spoiling anything. It's a drop in a very, very large ocean.

3 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I know you hate waggle, but it's so, so minor in this. It really is a tiny part of the game, and it works fine. You're just rolling balls around a maze or whatever, it's a piece of piss to control. And one of them (that I've seen anyway) has a clever "cheat" to bypass it.

Put it this way - if you're a normal person with any sort of perspective on things at all, it won't come even close to spoiling anything. It's a drop in a very, very large ocean.

Pah! I reserve the right to be irrationally grumpy about this! I will play those damn shrines and report back! If they're crap, I'll fire up Persona 5 instead - take that Nintendo!