rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Spainkiller

Momodora: Reverie Under The Moonlight

This got mentioned a few times in the PlayStation Network and Steam threads, but, by golly, it deserves its own thread. Just two hours in, and this Metroidvania has already sunk its fingernails well deep into my back. It's gorgeous, controls very well, and the second area is pretty much 2D Yharnam. (Actually, I'm kind of convinced it's deliberately meant to be nod towards Bloodborne.) Its RPG elements are very basic (you can equip passive and active buffs, and that's pretty much it, it seems) which is a relief, allowing you to focus on the platforming and the simple, yet satisfying Souls-like combat.

It's an effing shame that I'm still not entirely through with Zelda and have another major release begging for my attention (and that's even beside the fact that it's a sin that this isn't getting a handheld release; this has Vita and even Switch written all over it) but, man, I can't wait to dive into this proper.

Anyone else playing this?

• Upvote 3

I've been toying with buying it and have heard nothing but good things. It's by one guy too? I think I'll get it.

It looks fantastic. Shame it's not on the Vita or Switch because it's the sort of game I love playing on a handheld. I doubt I would get it on PS4 only. 

Yeah, I played this when it came out on PC. Nothing groundbreaking but I enjoyed the 4 hours or so it took me to beat it.

Standard metroidvania structure with tight controls (the dodge feels goooood) and gorgeous pixel art. Perhaps a tad easy on the default difficulty but I found it to be a nice palate cleanser between more meaty games. 

Woah, it's that short?

I mean, not that I mind (I love me a tight, short, replayable game) but I somehow assumed it'd be at least as sizeable as Cave Story.

It's pretty short, yeah. The Steam app says I've played it for 7.3 hours but that doesn't seem right (not at home so can't check my save).

Pretty sure I did a 100% exploration run in about 4-5 hours. It's definitely not as expansive as something like Cave Story but still explores it's mechanics in a satisfying manner.

• Upvote 1

Great fun, but after my first session the map was already at a percentage that raised my eyebrows. Still, the Soulborney vibe mixed with a Metroidvania is pretty tasty. :D

This is a great little game. Over the last couple of years I've abandoned every Shantae game, Axiom Verge, Hollow Knight, Dead Cells, Shovel Knight, Iconoclasts, Owlboy, Salt and Sanctuary and many many more retro styled Metroidvania kind of 2D action thingy games. This is the first one I've genuinely enjoyed. It's pretty simplistic in terms of the level design but it opens up the more you play. It looks and sounds superb. The music in the first area, in particular, is stunning. Very pretty, wistful and ambient, almost on a par with Dark Souls. On that note, it wears its Souls influences proudly with the dodge rolling and lots of visual nods but it feels solidly its own thing. Timing and spacing are really important and the combat and movement are consistent and fair.

Glad I finally got to this after forgetting about it. Warm recommendation. 

• Upvote 3

It's really opening up now, I'm about four or five bosses down, I've just found out why there are smaller gaps and the whole thing is just a delight. I've got a good handful of charms and stuff now and just managed to poison myself with my own arrows! It looks gorgeous, such a cute art style and the characters are full of personality. The backgrounds, especially outside, are quite beautiful. Well chuffed with this. Best indie I've played in ages and ages. 

• Upvote 1

If you want something slightly different which I also thought was a delight, get Mystik Belle. It’s what I’d term a Puzzlevania (a Metroidvania with obtuse point and click style puzzles). This and Momodora were by far the two best indie games I played last year.