Playerunknown's Battlegrounds - Add your tag to the list in the OP

Padaxes

3 minutes ago, Hass said:

This is still my go to shooter. The bots have definitely improved the situation recently, making the game more welcoming to newcomers and the bot logic itself is much improved. I struggle to tell the difference between bots and mid tier players like me these days.

What amazes me is how much depth there is to the gameplay. I feel like I'm an ok player but watching level 500 players who roast me on the killfeed is pretty amazing. They're probably 30% more accurate and make 100% better decisions. 

pubg has basically killed all other games for me, nothing comes close to this on so many fronts, ballistics, sound, most importantly the skills you have to hard learn in order to better yourself. looking forward to the new 8x8 map which drops on the 7th July. Its been 4 years since we had a big map update.

I'm interested to know if they have a plan to get this onto a new engine at some point. The visual updates they're doing to the maps like Miramar are nice n'all but it's starting to feel a little dated. And it always felt like it was pushing the Unreal engine in a direction it didn't really want to go.

3 hours ago, Hass said:

I'm interested to know if they have a plan to get this onto a new engine at some point. The visual updates they're doing to the maps like Miramar are nice n'all but it's starting to feel a little dated. And it always felt like it was pushing the Unreal engine in a direction it didn't really want to go.

Unreal has a lot of decent functionality for this type of game now, the issue is that a fair amount of it was developed by the unreal devs in concert with the PUBG devs specifically for this game. Now that a lot of the features are standard in the engine and with ongoing Fortnite development UE4 is pretty well equipped for open world and multiplayer, but I get the sense that PUBG has ended up in a place where it was built from hot fixes and beta features and now it’s essentially impossible to go back and build it with the new features without restarting from the ground up, which is apparently what Brendan Greene’s team are doing with PUBG2.

PUBG2 has been cancelled and its ideas folded into PUBG - i.e. Taego and Kiki. Greene's working on something else within the universe, whatever that means - there are horror games and Thunder Tier One and allsorts being developed under that umbrella. 

PUBG exists on its own hybrid version of UE4 so your sense is spot on, it can't be easily ported to UE5. Oops. But the good news is that, at long last, they're doing an engine revamp after Taego. 

2 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I think we are stuck with what we've got while the real cash cow is mobile. I'll have a look at Taego, but doubt it will keep my interest long. The game will always hold a place in my heart but it's a fucking vipers pit full of pro players and wannabe streamers at any time other than 6am.

Dip back into TPP, it's a goldmine of newer players.

Orrr you could grab a new copy and be put into learner lobbies for the first 200 levels - but it looks like they might make those lobbies selectable from the menu soon (it already accidentally got enabled in one region last month) so you might want to wait for that to happen. I'll keep it in mind to give you a heads up. 

12 minutes ago, R0b said:

PUBG2 has been cancelled and its ideas folded into PUBG - i.e. Taego and Kiki. Greene's working on something else within the universe, whatever that means - there are horror games and Thunder Tier One and allsorts being developed under that umbrella. 

PUBG exists on its own hybrid version of UE4 so your sense is spot on, it can't be easily ported to UE5. Oops. But the good news is that, at long last, they're doing an engine revamp after Taego. 

I hadn’t heard about 2 being cancelled, I’m so far out of the loop on PUBG news that the new 8x8 maps had passed me by. 

Do we know what version of UE4 their fork is derived from? Because I’ve found the tools for loading UE4 projects into UE5 really good, but I’d previously had real issues going from UE4.1 to 4.2. 

That said, I’ve got no idea what an engine overhaul would look like on a C++ project as complex as this. I think I’d want to just start fresh.

56 minutes ago, R0b said:

Dip back into TPP, it's a goldmine of newer players.

Orrr you could grab a new copy and be put into learner lobbies for the first 200 levels - but it looks like they might make those lobbies selectable from the menu soon (it already accidentally got enabled in one region last month) so you might want to wait for that to happen. I'll keep it in mind to give you a heads up. 

Thanks Rob. I had an evening on TDM the other night just to really focus on getting back into it and had a grand old time. Was doing reasonably well after a few games, racking up a few kills, but then queued some solo TPP at about 1am and just got destroyed. To be honest I'm not too fussed about dinners any more, I just enjoy the game and when I'm in the right mood, there's still nothing close to good old pubg.

It's an FPS in its 5th year, you have to embrace the fact the dedicated remain, gobbling up 10+ kills. The casual chicken days are over but with the right mindset of having great fights instead of wins (as you are), the game doesn't shine any less imo. 

Get this, I spent some time on pubg stats today and I've played a total of 700 odd games in my time since the game came out on Xbox 3 years or so back. I checked out the total games of the two lads that ended my last two games on Friday evening - 7,500 and 11,500 lifetime games each! It's sweaty out there.

What was also interesting is that Pubg stats shows you the bot percentage in your games. It's been about 1.5% in my games recently and I rarely bumped into them. So my statement that it was hard to tell them apart from real players was probably wrong as I've just been playing against real players.

I only play unranked, assuming that this would be less sweaty,but I think that's just where the sweats hang out to get their stats up. Am I doing it wrong, will ranked try and match me with people at my level?

On 27/06/2021 at 16:38, Hass said:

I only play unranked, assuming that this would be less sweaty,but I think that's just where the sweats hang out to get their stats up. Am I doing it wrong, will ranked try and match me with people at my level?

From my experience, no. From what I remember there's no SBMM in this game?

On 02/07/2021 at 12:59, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I didn't catch the stream, but what did you think of the map Rob? 

I kept myself in check the first day, but liked it from the first match. By day two it had really got its claws into me and I'm less measured. It's really, really good. Nice to look at, excellent driveability in geography all-round, some great hotdrops and I like the first tentative steps toward non-hostile wildlife with the startled birds. There are some breaks in the drivable terrain where it all gets a bit bumpy Sanhok 2.0, but this seems to be mostly in the South East and dedicated forest areas. The water-logged fields are a bit rough. IMO vehicular traversal is what makes or breaks an 8x8 map (unkind terrain is what makes Miramar too slow for a lot of players) and the DeLorean is an amazing vehicle straight off the bat. If you can drift a Coupe you'll enjoy the vehicle immediately. The new Mk-12 DMR is ridiculously powerful and the new K2 AR is rubbish. The underlying geography is so strong, and forests aren't too dense. It could potentially do with some more Erangel-esque defilades for when you need to be on foot, unsure. But then I'd complain that it compromised the vehicles. 

I've noticed they've been conservative in including many newer PUBG features to the map, which to me implies that they're eyeing it for ranked. No gliders, emergency pickups, emergency parachutes, spike traps, C4...some surprising omissions there. With the Gulag parachutists it'd be too much, though, so I get the removal of the emergency pickup (which, by the way, is excellent). No emergency parachute makes sense as there are barely any 5 stacks (again, refreshing). 

The Comeback BR (gulag) is objectively awful and I'd bet anything it's going to see some big tweaks. As an idea it's most valuable for those who drop and get RNG'd to death without firing a bullet in the first minutes, so cut that ridiculous 10 minute wait down and give them a chance to get back in the game or die doing so. It's also a campfest now as there's no incentive to fight (in fact the reverse is incentivised), so I think it should encourage fights by yanking you out of there as soon as you get a kill. Queue up a couple of gulag entries during Phase 1 rather than just having the one time event where everyone sits in fear.

The self-revive is something different - a carriable item - and is perfect for the maturing BR genre in 2021. I've fallen foul of it a few times and I'm good with that - it's something new to learn and the vigilance kicks in quickly. It's a gift to solo squadders as long-range fights are transformed by the kits. They're rare, which is correct. 

The best thing PUBG could do is make people unthirstable in Phase 1 if knocked by an enemy within 20 metres. 

On 27/06/2021 at 21:38, Hass said:

You'll be matched with people within a certain range of your ranked level, yes - in fact you can't play with people who outrank you more than something like 3-4 ranks either way. I forget the exact number. No skill-based, technically, but you won't be thrown in with Diamond and Platinums. 

The 'sweats' don't hang out in normals to get their stats up, really - they're busy retaining their ranked levels, which degrade at the highest rank. A lot of ranked players only play ranked now. 

Public (normal) games are far less sweaty than ranked because there's nothing to lose. But the game's had campers since launch and I bet you camp sometimes, too. 😉

Been on the test server since Wednesday myself, think the comparisons to the first blackout map are just. Lots of open ground areas and a nice mix of urban buildings. Overall I think its great addition to the roster. But there is something I can't put my finger on that makes it feel very different somehow.

Clearly they need to tidy up a few things and get the balance right on the weapons, the K2 is just insane with no recoil and the self revive animation can't be stopped once its activated and the new Hyundai pony is better off road than the UAZ and never drifts its like a light cycle from Tron.

This whole increase in loot is a double edged sword for me as there's just so much of everything and I think I prefer the hunt and the scarcity rather than the handed on a plate model they seem to be going for. And as for the self revive and Gulag I just hope its only on Taego and not included in the other maps.

Feels like big changes are coming to PUBG and making it easier with the above takes away the whole point of the game for me and even though hot dropping and dying instantly is frustrating you know what your getting into by doing that and always have a choice.

Its still the only thing I constantly play and hope it retains its core essence and doesn't turn into a wannabe war zone.

9 minutes ago, R0b said:

The K2 is pretty normal, same TTK as the G36; nothing special. :) Maybe the recoil's just suiting you? 

yeah read it was same as g36. sound more like a bag of spanners like the beryl but yeah maybe on the recoil.

Something you guys might enjoy. 'PUBG' is becoming a franchise with other games under the title, so the game we're playing has been rebranded in Season 12.2 as PUBG Battlegrounds (those of you on test server will have clocked this already). Anyway, so I jumped into Photoshop for about 20 seconds and did a stupid tweet and, erm... oh dear. 19 DMs asking me for my source/how I knew is a sign that maybe it didn't hit right with everyone. 

• 2 weeks later...