Playerunknown's Battlegrounds - Add your tag to the list in the OP

Padaxes

It is. Only Erangel and Karakin available for solos on non-weekend peak times in EU, NA dead for months so they implemented forced random map selection in season 6 in all modes. 

I noticed that after booting up the game and getting a little cutscene about new Vikendi it told me I’d be waiting ten minutes for a game on it. 

I dunno though. This was an open goal for them. They were first out of the gate and had record numbers on steam. Then there was a good year where they broke stuff, changed stuff and loaded it with micro transactions and battle passes and other revenue streams. I guess that’s why the player base left.

After 600 or so hours, I'm pretty confident Steam will be giving me my money back on this one. I need something fucking back from those 600 hours other than despair and a vague sense of unease.

@Rob Rule sorry, I didn't mean to be offensive with the term 'sweats'.

My sense is that your grievance is more with the implementation of bots and the way they were forced on the community than their existence per-se. I wasn't aware that they randomly spawn mid game, that's shit for the reasons you cite. But I do think the developer was right to take action here as the game's population is dwindling towards the hardcore and the game has such an aggressive and multi-dimensional learning curve. 

Hopefully the ranked mode will provide the dedicated with the competitive, pure experience they're looking for whilst casual mode provides a graduated entry point for new players and keeps the player base healthier in the long run. 

Point in case, I had a game of duos with a friend a few months back and it was a total non-starter for him getting curb stomped before he could even equip a weapon. I then played the game with a different friend on Tuesday and I'm pretty sure he's hooked because he's got a similar experience to what we all received when the game was in its earlier days with a lower average skill of player. 

Ultimately the game is incredible, it's my favourite game ever and I'm sure the Dev will continuously improve the experience for players as they have historically.

• 4 weeks later...

So I've played a fair bit in the last few weeks, mainly because a friend has been around again and it's one of the things we've played a lot of together in the past. I think that the issues with bots being spawned to attack you at inconvenient times are dramatically worse at lower skill levels, and a few hours play has gotten us into games that are about half humans to half bots. The bots don't seem to spawn near you suddenly after the first two phases, because after that they never suddenly run up to your positions and are more commonly seen running away from the zone with no helmet despite the fact it's several phases in. They're quite easy to spot, and usually only really show up during the looting phase and first rotation if you picked somewhere quiet to land or picked somewhere big and nobody else did. We did have one weird game where we landed at some small buildings and bots just kept on coming, resulting in us getting about ten kills each and still coming fifth, but genrally it's very obvious that all the players in the last few circles are human. We've only had one game where our final opponent was a bot, which was disappointing, but largely it just fills out the games to make the waiting a bit better. I know it's unpopular and obviously I'm playing with friends so it's more fun but I really like the changes and the way the game feels at the moment.

On 23/05/2020 at 08:30, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

One game, 7 kills. Pretty sure they were all bots. Two I saw went behind cover, only to seemingly vanish and spawn elsewhere for someone with less frags to shoot. What a shitshow.

I've not seen any bots despawn at all, but they do behave weirdly. It's more likely that they just jogged off and you missed it. They don't stay still behind cover for protracted periods, and don't move or take cover in pairs, so they're always free to just sprint away, and they are very, very good at breaking line of sight with you, I assume because it's an easy thing to calculate with a quick line trace. This means they'll often duck behind a wall, and immediately crouch walk into another position where you can't see them, stand up and run the fuck away.

The game seems to have picked up a bit recently (a combination of free weekend plus old players (me included) coming back to frag a few bots in tourist mode I guess) so full lobbies are common again at peak times. I think the time and map you play determines bots more than rank or skill. Is this even monitored out of the specific ranked lobbies any more? In any case, I've seen 6KD streamers get 90% bot lobbies at odd hours.

I've really enjoyed going back to it though, despite and possibly even due to the less oppressive feel of the game in the light of bots, but I'm still seeing some pretty negative stuff due to them. A guy in top five got pushed by a bot the other day which completely gave away his position and cost him a potential win. I got into a 300m fight with a guy who was clearly better than me (though when I looted him the 15x may have helped) who got pushed by a bot and allowed me an easy headshot whilst he was distracted. I would have been so mad if I were him.

I've definitely seen bots despawn. I'm old but not blind. See a bot in a compound in the middle of nowhere, run toward it, hear footsteps at 30 meters or so, get to compound - empty. It's happened a good number of times. It's odd.

It's still by far the best battle royale though. Full lobbies on Miramar --> best BR experience for me.

Depends what maps you play; Erangel and Karakin EU always had games available - even solos, which are first to die - between 11am and midnight with waits under a minute. Miramar and Vikendi/Sanhok flicker on and off, with Miramar usually unavailable to select in solos. Other regions of the world are dead, though, so EU got bots too. 

There are ingame replays of bots respawning madly about the map occasionally, but it's quite rare and it seems like it's a bug. They do also just camp in compounds stock still so if you don't check every last corner, they're not necessarily gone, just being still. 

I played this for 5 hours on Saturday night (Stadia with Cross-Play to XBox and PS4) and it was great. Hardly any bots given my skill / XP ranking (60? not super high) and plenty of close games that never felt on the right side of sweaty. Hard but fair.

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming this is true, Sanhok's getting the 2.0 treatment for Season 8.  That's Bootcamp, the best balanced hotdrop area, robbed of its uniquity. 

Also, the first pic looks like docks, sans all the bespoke stuff like ships, cranes etc. Strange!

Also, horn-tooting moment: I got 16 solo chickens in the last 7 days, with 1 duo win. And @Nathan Wind and I wiped wackyjacky/chocotaco in an exquisite bridgecamp. 

A bunch of the maps have had 'lore' smattered in them (possibly the least interesting thing ever), from the basements to the commander around Erangel. Those screens could just be from some bunker, plenty have lit up displays along these lines already. Or it could be alluding to the character customisation teased in the early access launch trailer finally happening 3 years later (nah). 

It does show that Ruins is getting a revamp, too. They've not messed with hot drops before. 

• 2 months later...

I'm looking for a "more realistic than COD but not ARMA" online multiplayer shooter, and quite like the BR format. Would people recommend getting in to PUBG now, or are there others which might be better? Reading the comments here it looks like PUBG might not be in the best state. I've got and play Tarkov but haven't tried Insurgency or others.

So what would people recommend at the moment?

PUBG is still excellent. FTP on most platforms I think too. I love it for the pseudo realism and general strategy possibilities. Great to play solo too.

Most of the moaning was about the (limited) bots introduction but it really only impacts new players and in that context it's actually a useful learning sandbox in my experience.

• 1 month later...

Well the new patch has bought me to the end of the road with this game. They’re removing map selection on EU servers, and also removing third person duos, which leaves me with no reason to do the occasional dipping in and out that has become the extent of my playing. Also notable that the cool looking new map is TPP Squads only, which feels insane given that this patch removes most of the TPP modes, assumedly due to lack of popularity. 

I can’t comprehend the choices they make. I hate FPP but it’s clearly more popular in EU because they’re having to remove the TPP queues, so why would they lock the new map to TPP in the same patch? Plus there’s even more FTP mechanics being added but the game still costs, which means no new players. It’s like they’re trying to kill it.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Is it still stupidly popular in Asia? Because of so that's your answer.

There’s more players in Asia, but from what I can see on Reddit they’re also angry and complaining and a lot of them are saying exactly what you are but about Western players :lol:

There’s also different queues for different regions. I understand removing TPP in America and Europe and FPP in Asia due to popularity. But if that’s what you’re doing then why not make the new map TPP in Asia and FPP in America and the EU?

• 8 months later...

This is still my go to shooter. The bots have definitely improved the situation recently, making the game more welcoming to newcomers and the bot logic itself is much improved. I struggle to tell the difference between bots and mid tier players like me these days.

What amazes me is how much depth there is to the gameplay. I feel like I'm an ok player but watching level 500 players who roast me on the killfeed is pretty amazing. They're probably 30% more accurate and make 100% better decisions.