IGNORED

The Surge: Metal Machine Soul Music

Cosmic_Guru

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been getting through this and am up to. 

Spoiler

Black Cerberus boss

Ive quite enjoyed getting through the game even though I feel beating the poor design and systems set against me is part of the enjoyment.

The level design shows how good the soulsborne games are. Here the shortcuts are so badly integrated it feels like a thank fuck rather a cool discovery. The fourth level  is the most egregious with a mind bending amount of small lifts that always look the same, and that sense of building a space in your mind as you discover is just lost as the level is a fragmented mess.

The two main faults with the game imho:

1. Lack of direction. Even when you kill a boss or find a new area, the game gives you no waypointing or natural direction. Sometimes you even have to go back a level to progress, so there’s a lot of time just looking about over old areas just to move forward.

2. Weapon proficiency scales with use so after a few hours even picking up a new weapon is useless as you are more effective with the one you’ve been grinding proficiency from earlier - I’m still using the first bosses weapon!

anyway I’m determined to beat this and hopefully they manage to make 2.0 improvements on this.

Your second point isn't entirely accurate. Your weapon proficiency is with that type of weapon, not that weapon specifically. There are five types: one-handed, staff, heavy-duty, single-rigged and twin-rigged. There are multiple weapons for each type (and the DLC adds quite a few more).

I ended up rebuying this (got the complete edition digitally for £12, which includes the DLC and base game). I still stand by my earlier comments (it's a little disappointing), but I think I understand what they were going for now. There are relatively few bosses compared to the Souls series, but that's because they go for sort-of set piece moments in the levels: big groups of enemies, harder NPCs guarding areas etc that are there to act as mini bosses. The areas that I thought were just an example of bad level design (let's make it hard by dumping loads of enemies) are meant to be that hard; it's effectively a boss, just a different kind. It doesn't entirely excuse it, as it can feel cheap at times, but you wouldn't complain about a boss being hard in Dark Souls so I'm now a bit more appreciative of it in The Surge.

I'm really excited for the sequel though, as I hope it's a lot more open (given the setting, it seems like it will be). I never want to see those shortcut tunnels again. 

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Been playing this for a couple of days. Always fancied picking it up, and now it’s on PS+ so no excuses.

I’m on the second area (done a lot of grinding and farming for the cool Japanese white mech suit, which is why I haven’t got that far) and I could use some help from anyone who played much of it.

Not entirely sure where to go next. I’ve found 3 NPC’s. One I need to find a weapon for and another I need to find his meds.

I’ve made my way to where enemies start using laser turrets against you and these bigger non-human robots. Really not sure how to kill them as they seem to regain their health really quickly.

Thinking about it, I do have a few options of where to go but mostly I could do with help fighting those robotic bastards.[/quote]

On 22/08/2018 at 19:57, Revival said:

That trailer is proper "meh", it really seems like they just placed the mechs in a generic jungle environment. Horrizon Zero Dawn in comparison absolutely nailed it by building an environment and a fun ecosystem around it. Maybe they need a new creative director or more budget.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Approaching the end of The Surge now and I gotta say I've thoroughly enjoyed my time with it.

Sure, its not perfect but it's well above average and I'd highly recommend it to Soulsborne fans if they don't mind a truly solo experience as there's no online options at all. 

I agreed with the complaints about the Black Cerberus/3 PAX machines 3rd boss until I googled it (thinking there was a fatal flaw in my build progression) and found out you can use the 1st PAX Machine to destroy 2 white power generator things in the arena which stops the boss from running away, recharging health or summoning anymore ally bosses!

If this subtle bit of design had been in a Souls game people would be singing its praises but no such love for this game, which is a shame. :unsure:

Anyway, I'm enjoying wrapping up some achievements I probably would have missed and taking my time maxing out gear and weapons before doing the final boss. I probably won't bother with NG+ as I've too many other games to be playing but I'll keep an eye on the sequel and pick it up when it drops in price a bit... :hat:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed the first game. I was expecting a middling Dark Souls cover version, and while it’s hard to deny that it’s extremely derivative (Dead Space vs Dark Souls with a touch of Elysium is pretty much the thing in its entirety), it’s executed much better than I thought it would be – the balance is absolutely perfect, in that it’s just difficult enough to make me anxious about entering a new area, and just doable enough to let you progress a little bit further each time. There are even a few interesting new mechanics, like the way you have to balance taking down opponents quickly by targeting unarmoured limbs with getting more upgrade materials by targeting armoured limbs.

It made a nice companion piece to Sekiro, in that it had a small number of relatively easy bosses combined with long, difficult, intricate levels, which is the precise opposite of that game. I loved the industrial / corporate aesthetic, and the combat is savagely intense. Every hit is a tooth-cracker.

The sequel is right at the top of my wish-list. If they can build on the good bits and make it a bit more lavish and expansive, then it could be something really special.

I see the video is dead now, but yeah, it seems they basically improved upon everything from the first game while adding lots of new and interesting stuff on top of that, like directional parries and drones that accompany you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice on the X performance!

I really enjoyed the first game. More so after i did i little research into weapons/suits/mods etc, because unlike Souls, this isn't a game you'll play again & again, your first build is paramount. But there is a lot of enjoyment to be had.

I'm gonna choose the sequel over Code Vein which looked promising before the delay.

All this is after i've finished Remnant, which I'm calling now as an underrated gem.

I may give this another go after Remnant. Although that may be unfair cos Remnant is fucking awesome. I liked what I played, but then in the second area came up against some 3 legged robot enemies that were utter bullshit to fight against. In retrospect I probably didnt need to fight them but they really pissed me off as they seemed to disobey the mechanics somewhat.

That bit is kind of intended to be a trick, and brutally difficult with it. It's essentially just a long corridor gauntlet full of those three legged bastards, with a nice mod at the end - it seems designed just to be a suicide run. You're not supposed to be able to fight them at this stage, and it's not the critical path.

I'm really liking this. The combat is fantastic. The upgrade system seems nice and streamlined and the level design is brilliant so far. 

Loving the tentative exploration, getting a little bit further each time. 

Seems a little underrated by the critics, but I guess they're always going to be wary of rating a souls like too highly. 

• 2 years later...

Having finally played Dark Souls properly for the first time recently and loving it, I'm interested in checking out The Surge as it's on sale.

What's the verdict on the DLC? I have the option of getting The Surge plus all DLC for £5.99, or The Surge 1 & 2 (base games only) for £12.24. I think I'm going to go for the latter unless the DLC for the first game is particularly good. 

@Billy Brown

The DLC for the first game is really good, and is probably one of the highlights of both games. At least, the 'Walk in the Park' DLC is really good - there's another Wild West-themed DLC that isn't as good, but the theme park one is fantastic. It's integrated into the world quite neatly, so it pretty much feels like an expansion of the base game. Plus, you get some savage weapons that are a lot of fun to use in the main game. 

The Surge 2 isn't as good as the first game, in my opinion anyway - it's mechanically really sound with some very intricate level design, but aesthetically and in terms of atmosphere, it's nowhere near as good as the original. So I'd probably get the first game + DLC, and see how you get on.