rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

Skyscraper - The Rock's Towering Inferno

http://deadline.com/2017/03/dwayne-johnson-skyscraper-summer-2018-1202044097/

The Rock plays a former FBI hostage rescue team leader and war veteran (big hero then) who now assesses skyscraper security. Exciting.

But while in China, the world's tallest, and supposedly safest, skyscraper catches fire. And poor old Rock is being framed for it. But there's more! His family are trapped in it too!

So he's on the run and has to save his family. At the same time. All while looking handsome and buff. Perhaps he will even find the time to bring some justice to the real culprit.

It's down for release on 13 July 2018. Directed by Rawson Marshall Thurber, who did Dodgeball and Central Intelligence.

• Upvote 4

Pfffttttt, one building? It'd take a whole city on fire to even slow him down.

Hollywood should do a Great Fire of London movie, if only for the accents.

3 hours ago, glb said:

Hollywood should do a Great Fire of London movie, if only for the accents.

They could get Don Cheadle in to teach them to do cockney accents.

• Upvote 1

There's people getting all aflutter over the poster

They're saying there's no way he making that jump. RIP Rock. People have even found the time to do maths and he might just make it if he is Usain Bolt doing a record run.

Or it's related to Jumanji and he's doing a videogame double jump.

I like how Hollywood has realised no audience believes full The Rock will ever be beaten, stopped or trodden upon so they've added a bit of jeopardy by taking away one of his legs.

Film looks gloriously silly. Day one.

Saw this tonight. It was... a film. I guess. 

Not even The Rock can save this one.

There were a few laughs, although I’m not sure they were intentional, but the rest of it is just rubbish nonsense. It’s not exciting or clever or funny or anything much at all. 

So so glad this wasn’t my choice.  

It was terrible. My mate is a huge Rock fan, so we go watching pretty much everything. Even he admitted this was garbage. 

Yeah, I posted about this here and it's amazing how little fun there is to be had.

Towering Inferno has a load of cameo appearances from old timey stars hamming it up to the nines, who get toasted in various entertaining ways

Die Hard has some funny one-liners and a lot of inventiveness.

Shitscraper (hah!) is neither campy, unintentionally funny or melodramatic enough to be a disaster movie, or trailblazing and witty enough to be a thriller. It's just a mediocre retread of far better stuff. And when your high bar is the likes of The Swarm or Volcano, if you can't clear that you're in serious shit (scraper!)

Legit worse than Poseidon and Snakes on a Plane.

Yeah I watched it last night. It was pretty bad . Very predictable and one of the most unoriginal films I've seen. 

Dunno what's worse San Andreas or this ? Probably this.

I liked it! 

Well, apart from the incredibly cheesy ending that is. Good cast, nice to see Neve still getting work.  Good sense of excitement.

its nothing special, but I've seen far worse this year.

• Upvote 1

Strange film, this. For me, it pips Extinction in the 'goofy premise played with a weirdly straight face' stakes, for three reasons:

1. The Rock is just innately likeable. You can't help but warm to the guy. 

2. Neve Campbell makes the absolute most of a fairly thankless role.

3. The kids aren't unbelievably stupid and annoying. 

Other than that, it had a couple of nicely mounted set-pieces - and fair play, it featured a disabled protagonist without making a massive deal of it - but that was about it. The surprise-he's-a-bad-guy reveal was the most predictable mini-twist in living memory, and the lashings of cheese didn't quite fit a film with a strangely sombre undertone. But yeah, a central character it's easy to root for, a family you didn't actively want to die...I've seen much worse. But Rampage was better - that at least had a sense of its own silliness, and played up to it. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/08/2018 at 19:28, sandman said:

Its nothing special, but I've seen far worse this year.

Really? Like what?

I had this down as a surprise hit in the summer movie wager, and was still optimistic after everyone slated it. Being derivative and lacking in humour and fun aren't even the worst things about it. 

It's so wafer thin. There is nothing there. They had no reason to make the film.