rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

The Matrix Reboot - Reeves, Moss and Lana Wachowski Returning!

4 hours ago, Goose said:

So the latest rumour doing the rounds - while doing press work on John Wick 3, director Chad Stahelski mentioned the reboot script is still moving forward and being worked on. He also let slip that WB have apparently enticed the Wachowski's to come out of semi-retirement (their production studio and offices had been closed down) to oversee the production (though not to direct).

This just made me think who I'd rather direct a new Matrix film; the Wachowskis or Stahelski. Actually, overlooking how far the Wachowskis have fallen I'd probably still pick the John Wick guy out of interest.

Vue are.doing a 20th Anniversary showing of The Matrix, my locals showing is on Monday at 10pm. I've only ever seen it on VHS and then DVD so really looking forward to going.

• Upvote 2

I saw it at mine the other week and although the transfer's not amazing (the blu-ray is much cleaner) it was nice to see it in the original 1990s colour grading again. (They went back and redid the colour for the 2005 DVDs to match the sequels.)

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I saw it at mine the other week and although the transfer's not amazing (the blu-ray is much cleaner) it was nice to see it in the original 1990s colour grading again. (They went back and redid the colour for the 2005 DVDs to match the sequels.)

I haven't seen any of this month's anniversary screenings, but I saw a cinema showing in 2013, when the Giant Screen in Birmingham did it as part of a short series of sci-fi films. (It was the same day I saw Thor: The Dark World elsewhere; still the only time I've ever been to the cinema twice in one day!)

Apparently for that screening, they just played it straight from the Blu-ray, so we got the post-sequels regraded colour, but I thought the picture stood up well given the size of the screen. I remember that some of the audio on the left sounded odd; at the end someone else was already informing the usher that two of the surround channels had been swapped or incorrectly balanced (rear-left and front-left I think).

That other person also commented that the audio in the lobby shootout was nowhere near as overwhelmingly intense as it had been when he'd seen its original release in 1999!

On 15/03/2017 at 21:30, gone fishin' said:

In all seriousness, The Matrix was really helped by the time it was released. It was a bit of a zeitgeist film. This sort of cyber goth look was kind of cool

This - looking back at the trenchcoats, sunglasses and and dry, emotionless delivery... it definitely feels like it's from a different era.

I still love a lot of the premise though - "living in a dream world", "freeing your mind", etc. :) 

This is the first I've heard of George Lucas style meddling in the Matrix. I bought it on DVD when it was first released, before either of the sequels and that's the only version I've ever seen since - so if I ever see the Blu-ray it's going to look wrong to me?

Probably not, it’s more subtle than anything Lucas ever did, and the HD releases were the first UK versions to retain the head butts in the fight scenes which was a far more egregious change.

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Probably not, it’s more subtle than anything Lucas ever did, and the HD releases were the first UK versions to retain the head butts in the fight scenes which was a far more egregious change.

I remain disappointed that they didn't add in extraneous additional headbutting a la the Star Wars Special Editions.

• Upvote 3

On 28/07/2019 at 10:13, Qazimod said:

I still love a lot of the premise though - "living in a dream world", "freeing your mind", etc. :)

Yeah, but it was done so much better the year before with Dark City.

• Upvote 3

Really enjoyed watching it last night but not sure on the quality of the picture. Sometimes it looked fantastic (Smith talking to the cops at the start), sometimes grainy (the "I know Kung Fu" fight) and sometimes blurry (especially the scene where Neo's mouth seals and he's then pinned to the table). But the sound was utterly amazing.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Benny said:

What format were you watching it on?

It was at the local Vue, website/ticket claimed it was in 4k

I've had bad experiences at Vue cinemas. Last time I went the screen was incredibly dark, so much so that the green exit sign at the side of the theatre was putting a green tint to the whole of the bottom corner of the screen.

• Empathy 1

8 hours ago, wev said:

Really enjoyed watching it last night but not sure on the quality of the picture. Sometimes it looked fantastic (Smith talking to the cops at the start), sometimes grainy (the "I know Kung Fu" fight) and sometimes blurry (especially the scene where Neo's mouth seals and he's then pinned to the table). But the sound was utterly amazing.

It’s probably not a true 4K film so all the cg stuff will be at 2k upscaled and may be the reason for the slight blurring?

I've no idea, I've not (knowingly) seen a film in 4k yet, we only have a standard HDTV, the last film I saw at the cinema before this was Rogue One, but it was definetly distracting.

But hearing Dragula and the Lobby scene music kick in and not to mention the bullets in bullet time was fucking awesome

In my screening it looked more or less as wev describes it: you could see film grain perfectly in the night scenes at the start, so it was definitely in focus, but it just wasn't all that crisp in many scenes and the contrast could be iffy. It's ostensibly a 4K transfer but I wonder if it's a 4K transfer of a 20-year-old print of the movie. Mind you, I never did see it in the cinema the first time, maybe it always looked like that.

It was the mostly the regular photography that looked off so it's not an issue with the resolution of the digital effects (which I doubt were re-composited anyway).

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Seems weird as apparently the UHD disc is reference quality.

I have the disc and would agree with how it was described above.