rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

The Matrix Reboot - Reeves, Moss and Lana Wachowski Returning!

3 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Are you guys serious with this stuff? There's been enough of these nostalgia reboots that we know exactly what the formula will be - new lead, new story but very similar to the old, a few callbacks for fans of the original, done.

And it'll be shit like all those have been too.

It's a lot newer than the majority of remakes though isn't it?

Surely they can't just reboot it wholesale though for that reason? Actually what am I talking about, it's Hollywood, they'll probably remake it shot for shot but CG all of the fight scenes instead of doing real choreography.

The whole film will be like 100 Smith fight.

It's revealed at the start of the new film that the 'real' world is actually another Matrix. Half way through it's revealed that this is actually a reboot of Inception.

• Upvote 1

Realistically if the Wachowskis aren't involved they're probably just going to pillage it for big obvious things, ignore the tone and themes, and make a worthy sequel to The Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace.

It's not very clear to me how the Wachowskis being involved would improve the chances of it being any good, given the state of the sequels. 

FFS. And I say that as someone who still enjoyed 2 and 3, even if not even remotely as good as the first.

12 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I always thought that the setting presented more and better possibilities than the sequels managed to put together. (The Animatrix actually did a decent job with the premise.)

The Animatrix was excellent, had completely forgotten about that. They should invite little side stories more often.

5 hours ago, K said:

As an aside, it's weird how the two quoted news stories at the top of the page go out of their way to avoid referring to Lana and Lily Wachowski as sisters; they're always "siblings" or "the Wachowskis", whereas any male filmmaking siblings would always be referred to as brothers (like the Wachowski sisters themselves until they transitioned).

Wait, WHAT? Both of them?!?

Quick, to Google!

Good god, they turned one of them into Susan Sarandon!

Lily-MAIN.jpg

And the other one into Jonathan Ross's wife!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

12 hours ago, revlob said:

Obligatory 'it's nearly twenty years old!'

I think the original holds up pretty well, Keanu aside. It's not any kind of sacred cow, but I'd rather see some attempt to expand the universe rather than a reboot. A soft reboot, perhaps. One of the simulation iterations before Neo.

The second and third aren't sacred but the first was the fucking shit then and now. 

tumblr_maha8qgKm81qllovxo7_500.gif

Pure badass. 8-)

The entire lobby scene was perfect. 

• Upvote 9

I love the setting and think there's loads of potential for stories set there (even though few of the Animatrix films or the comics could hold a candle to the first movie). But a remake?

abIqwpf.gif

Written by Zak Penn, the visionary writer behind Elektra and X-Men: The Last Stand. Whose writing on The Incredible Hulk was apparently largely replaced by the lead actor, and whose first draft of Avengers was, by all accounts (well, by Joss Whedon's completely unbiased account), pretty poor.

He's also co-credited with Solid Snake on X-Men 2's story. I always liked Last Action Hero, on which he also has a story credit, but then again Shane Black and every script doctor in Hollywood subsequently got their hands on that.

For comparison, what had the Wachowskis done before The Matrix? Assassins (never seen it, but by all accounts terrible), and Bound (which it's safe to say is better than almost all the movies listed above).

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

It's been a while since bullet time was in every fucking movie going, so this is a good thing.

In all seriousness, The Matrix was really helped by the time it was released. It was a bit of a zeitgeist film. This sort of cyber goth look was kind of cool, so was Nokia phones and having a computer wth 8 screens displaying random hex shite, because he was like a hacker...

like cargo pants or boot cut jeans that whole thing is gone now. I'm not sure they can recapture it.

• Upvote 1

The shine's kind of gone off the internet thing, huh?

The Matrix but Wikileaks.

The Matrix but doge.

The Matrix but dank memes.

The Matrix but gamergate.

The Matrix but your mum's Facebook timeline.

They should get ahead of the curve again and make it be about bodyhacking or something. But Cronenberg kind of did that one already too.

• Upvote 2

Another one who thinks The Animatrix was amazing, and I still love (most) of the 2nd film. It seemed so ripe with possibility, hidden references and so on. I still maintain that the 3rd one is one of the worst written finales of all time, the dialogue, the plot, the resolution, everything about it felt like I was being kicked in the balls repeatedly and thoroughly. By the time Trinity was killed on a spiiiiike I was sat in the cinema, arms folded, utterly disgusted at the entire affair.

• Upvote 6

Because I know you've all been dying to know how I'd reboot the Matrix franchise... and because I'm procrastinating from real work... I've spent the last hour coming up with this shite.

THE MATRIX: RESURRECTED

We'd have a similar set up to the original where our new lead questions the matrix and follows a similar path Neo did to meeting a charismatic Morpheus type character named PHOBETOR. Same deal. Everything they know is a lie. They're chased by what we first assume are agents but we reveal to be a bad ass older version of TRINITY.

Our guys escape by the skin of their balls and get our new lead out and into the real world and start training him the way Morpheus did Neo.

So what's going on? In the last 20 years humans and machines have lived a fragile peace. The machines will let people “ready” be extracted from the Matrix go as long as the humans who plug back in, don't run around like arseholes warping reality. The machines need it stable so not to lose their “crops”. So we have a détente going on.

In the real world Neo has become digital Jesus to the people of Zion who have built an entire religion out of his exploits in past. TRINITY essentially the reluctant leader of the religion has started having visions of a “second coming”. The guys she's chasing at the start are a group led by Phobetor. They're all much like Cypher in the first flick. They've been given freedom and hate it. They want back in. But not as regular humans. They want to live in the Matrix as Gods. Like their god. Neo. Problem is every time they start pulling crazy superhuman shit in the Matrix, the “good” guys led by Trinity turn up, take them on and shut them down before they kick off another war with the machines.

So we have these two rival groups looking for the “second coming” within the Matrix. If the “bad guys” get someone with Neo's powers... They'll be unstoppable. Living within the Matrix like gods and fucking it all up with not even the machines able to stop them. BILLIONS WILL DIE. But Phobeter is convinced their new "one" will save them.

In the opening of our flick. Phobetor thinks they found the “second coming”.

We'll mirror the events of the first film, with this new “one” being trained by Phobetor to control the Matrix and Trinity and her crew playing the “Agents” role. A near unstoppable force trying to stop them while in the real world we have Trinity and her crew are trying to find Phobetor's stolen ship and shut down the “pirate signal” like the squids did in the first flick.

Phobetor will take the new “one” to visit an Oracle type character to find out if he is the real deal. Who is it? An old, corrupted and glitching AGENT SMITH. He no loner has any physical strength but as one of the few programs to have lived inside and outside of the matrix. He has been “touched by god” He's presented with the new “one” and confirms he is the “second coming” (Smith by the way, betrayed by his own kind in the last flick wants to bring the Matrix down for good. That's why he helps Phobetor ).

We have a race against time as Trinity's crew try and stop them. They have people in Zion, fellow zealots trying to sabotage Trinity (mirror Cyphor's betrayal)  and Phobetor and his crew essentially win the same way Morpheus and Neo did in the first flick. The new “one” becoming all powerful and taking on and killing Trinity.

She was right. There was a second coming... and he's now in full control of the Matrix and acting as protector for Phobetor and the others. They begin shaping the world as they want it. DOCTOR STRANGE ain't got shit on this group of nutters. The machines contact Zion and say sort this shit out before it all comes down... But back in Zion, nobody is listening...

In the final moments of the movie Trinity is returned to Zion where people are going batshit. She was right. There was a second coming. But it's not the bellend in the Matrix. It's NEO. Resurrected in human form. (I'm sure there's a cave like shrine where his body was buried he can emerge from to the astonishment of the people who worship him). Trinity dies in his arms... As he's told of how the people he died to save betrayed her... He's gonna wanna go John Wick on their asses, but how? He's been reborn without "ports"....

So yeah. This is PART ONE OF A TRILOGY. Ha. I'm assuming as the next movie starts Phobetor realises he's created a monster in this new "One". More demon than angel who is warping the world into his own private kingdom, while back in Zion they would have to use experimental technology to take a Zion born human (resurrected Neo with no plugs) and plug him in to the Matrix to go save the day again. We'd now have two rival groups. Both with their own God. All with kick ass abilities in the matrix. The machines will have to pick sides. All kinds of whacky and wonderful things will happen. But fucked if I know what.

• Upvote 3

Reloaded, I liked that sequence. They built the motorway just for that scene, and Keanu Reeves bought all the crew Ducatis with his salary.

• Upvote 4

If they do another Matrix I would prefer them to just do "Matrix 2.0" and do a sequel to the first film. Act like the other two never happened, or Neo just reverted to an earlier game save in his dying moments. Or, it's New Game+ mode, sending him back to before the 'point of no return', but with all his XP intact.

:lol:

• Upvote 1

Another idea would be for someone in Zion to sacrifice his body so the digital Neo can inhabit both worlds again, like Smith did with Bane.

4 hours ago, Pug said:

Another idea would be for someone in Zion to sacrifice his body so the digital Neo can inhabit both worlds again, like Smith did with Bane.

I never really got my head round that, how could Smith exist in the real world, and how did Neo have telekinetic abilities (when the creators insisted the real world was not another Matrix layer).

5 minutes ago, angel said:

I never really got my head round that, how could Smith exist in the real world, and how did Neo have telekinetic abilities (when the creators insisted the real world was not another Matrix layer).

Because there's a deep metaphysical connection between the real world and the Matrix where they're mutually enclosed in each other. The Matrix is part of the real world, and the real world is part of the Matrix.

Also a brain is just, like, software? I guess?

How does that work though, I mean I know its sci-fi, I still don't get it. So if Neo was in the Matrix, and was 'the one' within the Matrix (ie: the anomaly), I still don't see how that could transfer out into the world, where is it mentioned in the film?

Because it's not just an SF film, it's also a magical fantasy. They exist in a world where machines are in touch with some mystical higher power that literally exists in the universe. It's one of the harder things to get your head around but it's all there.

Honestly I think it just confused an already very, very confusing storyline.

I agree, they went way off the rails. I'm not joking in that I think you or I could write a better plot for the sequels.

Oh and while we're on, I HATED the city of Zion. In Matrix 1 it was perfectly left to the imagination, but when we saw it, it was absolutely awful. Full of po faced super serious pretentious people, boring discussion, that hideous rave scene, it was so plodding and shit. Whenever I watch it again (occasionally) I skip all the Zion stuff. I found it embarrassing, frankly.

• Upvote 3