The Matrix 4: Resurrections - Reeves, Moss and Lana Wachowski Returning! Dec 22nd 2021

Goose

I only discovered today that David Mitchell (author of Cloud Atlas / Number9dream) is writing the script for the new Matrix film. That’s pretty interesting, he’s hardly a hack and his books usually have a mix of the mundane and the fantastic. Seems like a good fit for the series. 

4 minutes ago, K said:

I only discovered today that David Mitchell (author of Cloud Atlas / Number9dream) is writing the script for the new Matrix film. That’s pretty interesting, he’s hardly a hack and his books usually have a mix of the mundane and the fantastic. Seems like a good fit for the series. 

Well now you have my attention. 

Wait wasn't the adaptation of Cloud Atlas not very good? 

I don’t know what to make of this really. I always got the idea that somewhere in the making of the Reloaded/Revolutions they all got utterly dejected with the whole thing and ended up flinging any old shite around to see what stuck. Some of it was great, but an awful lot was silly pretentious nonsense that a pre-pubescent might have found doing strange tingly things to their private parts.

Plus all that colossal bullshit with the game really didn’t sit well at all with me either.

Who knows though? It might be a wonderful thing!

11 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Well now you have my attention. 

Wait wasn't the adaptation of Cloud Atlas not very good? 

I liked the film of Cloud Atlas, but it’s hard to deny it’s flawed. I don’t think Mitchell worked on the script of the film, though. This is his first produced screenplay (although he did work on Sense8, which I haven’t seen). 

Had another Matrix re-watch the other day, it's still such a good film. Obviously some of the effects are aging, and while the giant beige PCs and non-smartphones date it, at least the matrix is literally designed to replicate the time period so it makes sense still. Although, every iteration (of Neo) means the matrix is basically from the post (or late) industrial revolution onward, right? 

Anyway, roll on full trailer on Thursday.

45 minutes ago, K said:

I liked the film of Cloud Atlas, but it’s hard to deny it’s flawed. I don’t think Mitchell worked on the script of the film, though. This is his first produced screenplay (although he did work on Sense8, which I haven’t seen). 

I loved his last two books as well tbh. Got strong Clive Barker in his prime vibes though for the life of me I can recall the titles of them. 

Anyway. I went to see the first movie on my own in the cinema cos no one gave a shit or wanted to watch it. 6 months later the world went batshit over it.

Not a fan of either sequel but I will always love the Beyond story from the Animatrix. 

On 15/03/2017 at 02:06, Alex W. said:

This sounds like a good approach:

I realize Warner own this and Warner can't get their universe shit together at all (IMHO), but the irony of the example you give in this post is that Disney went on to do MUCH better things with side story stuff after Rogue One, etc. Good, connected TV series in a shared universe work, albeit after some false starts (Agents of Shield). 

Wondering if "could have been a TV series" will be the new "this could have been an email".

Incidentally, I went back and looked at my original reply here and withdraw it. The world is on fire and I need cheering up. This will be awesome. Beli3ve. Or shoehorn a 4 in there somewhere.

I'm really intrigued to see what will happen with this given the trans storyline in the originals (as well as lily and Lana both transitioning obvs) and the whole situation with gender at the moment. I'd like to think that lily and lana can have as many switch style characters doing the presenting differently in and out of the matrix thing as they'd like but somehow I'm still not entirely convinced it won't end up being effectively a soft reboot or some such. 

Who knows though, that's what's the most interesting part.

The “young Morpheus” reports are really intriguing me, in terms of how this might fit in the timeline.

Although if you’re going to explore Morpheus’ earlier career you really do need to show him talking One after One  in to getting beaten to death by Agents because he’s convinced he’s got the right One this time. (This canonically happened.)

8 hours ago, Alex W. said:

The “young Morpheus” reports are really intriguing me, in terms of how this might fit in the timeline.

Although if you’re going to explore Morpheus’ earlier career you really do need to show him talking One after One  in to getting beaten to death by Agents because he’s convinced he’s got the right One this time. (This canonically happened.)

image.gif.e5609795659f30d102ab6b563eb86654.gif

9 hours ago, b00dles said:

I'm really intrigued to see what will happen with this given the trans storyline in the originals (as well as lily and Lana both transitioning obvs) and the whole situation with gender at the moment. I'd like to think that lily and lana can have as many switch style characters doing the presenting differently in and out of the matrix thing as they'd like but somehow I'm still not entirely convinced it won't end up being effectively a soft reboot or some such. 

Who knows though, that's what's the most interesting part.

You might find this analysis of the themes and philosophy of the films by two trans woman interesting. There's a fair amount of conjecture and interpreting vibes but they do provide a compelling argument that there is clear intention behind what the Wachowski's were trying to say with the sequels. The analysis covers a mixture of things including gender, politics and philosophy.

https://youtu.be/M0VnYcMHuDc

28 minutes ago, MechE said:

You might find this analysis of the themes and philosophy of the films by two trans woman interesting. There's a fair amount of conjecture and interpreting vibes but they do provide a compelling argument that there is clear intention behind what the Wachowski's were trying to say with the sequels. The analysis covers a mixture of things including gender, politics and philosophy.

https://youtu.be/M0VnYcMHuDc

I've seen and read a lot of studies about them, so I'll give it a look if there's anything new but I actually quite like the sequels a bit more if you view them from the "Oh my god we accidentally created the red pill idiots, let's try and fix that" point of view. 

44 minutes ago, K said:

Is there any footage from the first film in there, or are those shots reprises / homages / references to the original? 

The latter. 

I also spotted this Bound reference.  

(Buf Compagnie is one of the effects houses that worked on the Matrix sequels)

image.png.d580d4a96362a9690a04642e21a3dc87.png 

14 hours ago, K said:

he did work on Sense8, which I haven’t seen 

Sense8 is horny, cheesy, camp, nonsense - I very much enjoyed it. There's definitely a thematic thread running between it and Mitchell's early work of interlinked stories.

Even if this turns out to be absolute shit, how can you not be excited by it? From what we’ve seen (which admittedly, isn’t much), it appears to be on a smaller scale than the two sequels, and more in line with the original film (by comparison, the first teaser for the sequels showed the huge explosion on the freeway). Love that.

• Goose changed the title to The Matrix 4: Resurrections - Reeves, Moss and Lana Wachowski Returning! Dec 22nd 2021