IGNORED

The Matrix 4: Resurrections - Reeves, Moss and Lana Wachowski Returning! Dec 22nd 2021

Goose

On 04/01/2022 at 10:57, squirtle said:

It's a hard line, a land line, a direct connection to the system, which allows them to download their data into and out of the Matrix. They did not have that facility in mobile phones at the time, and certainly not through fucking mirrors.

I get that it’s hard lines only, but aren’t phone lines in the matrix just part of the matrix? Like, computer code? Why do phone lines magically link to the real world? And if you know the matrix isn’t real, why can’t you just pull the thing out of the back of your head?

The hardline telephone thing has a nice internal logic to it. I fret, if I accidentally pull a USB out of my laptop without first ejecting it. So having to go through a process of inserting and ejecting yourself from the Matrix makes a kind of sense.

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

Just having characters from a previous film factor into events and building on what happened previously as your foundation to tell a story is hardly the same thing. Can you really not see the difference between the type of story that BR2049 was telling and memberberry quasi-remake pablum like this and Afterlife?

I honestly can't 

Spoiler

Surely 2049's idea of robots miraculously being able to have babies is the ultimate form of shoehorning old characters into the story? They needn't have had any link to Rachel and Deckard, they could've just had two random replicants having a child.

That doesn’t feel like shoe-horning to me. “What happened to these two characters when they left and tried to have a human life?” combined with that setting leads pretty organically to what we got. It’s a natural thematic and character evolution.

Spoiler

And they’re not robots!

But that is hugely different to how these two films are telling their entire stories?

Arguably the babies idea is a much better continuation of the plot in the first film than things like... mini stay puft marshmallows have started coming to life in a very heavily branded shop because.... erm... it's not just nostalgia, honest, give me a minute. 

Or zuul again, they didn't get a cgi recreation of Roy batty thank fuck.

Edit: to @Thwomp apologies, slow response because of fucking predictive text bollocks. 

2 hours ago, Paulando said:

I get that it’s hard lines only, but aren’t phone lines in the matrix just part of the matrix? Like, computer code? Why do phone lines magically link to the real world? And if you know the matrix isn’t real, why can’t you just pull the thing out of the back of your head?

It's only certain phones, remember, not all of them. Not all landlines were i/o devices for plugging into the Matrix. 

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

That doesn’t feel like shoe-horning to me. “What happened to these two characters when they left and tried to have a human life?” combined with that setting leads pretty organically to what we got. It’s a natural thematic and character evolution.

Hide contents

And they’re not robots!

That may be true, but no-one can deny that  @Thwomp is spot on in asserting that 2049 turns to shit as soon as Harrison Ford appears.

The film would have improved by around 100% if K had just crashed his hover car into one of those giant sex statues and then the credits rolled.

Going to see this tonight, my hand was kinda forced as it's the last night it seems be showing anywhere (boggles my mind how short a box office run films seem to get these days!) 

Going in blind.. and baked. Can't wait. Hype af after rewatching the original 3 in 2 evenings recently. 

*flies away while RATM plays*

1 hour ago, robdood said:

Going to see this tonight, my hand was kinda forced as it's the last night it seems be showing anywhere (boggles my mind how short a box office run films seem to get these days!) 

*flies away while RATM plays*

:lol: I'm looking forward to this.

*Spiderman was released 2 weeks before the matrix and still has plenty of showings. At least near me.

Lol such mixed reactions to this one eh? I liked it a lot, even if it didn't feel entirely like a matrix film. it lost its way a bit in the second half, some parts were just casually glossed over so quickly I didn't get time to process them.  Like I would've liked a bit more of an idea of what happened after the 3rd film. 

Given a big theme of the movie to me seemed that "binaries don't exist", i.e. Not  "us vs them" but "us AND them", it was a bit of a shame as it would've been nice to see more of the transition. 

It mainly lost me when they didn't really explain why these new hackers were looking for Keanu's Neo, since his job was more than done, and the matrix had restarted.  After the opening scene, I was kinda hoping that's what the story was going to be about, ie finding the new neo!

And I also didn't really understand why neo and trinity had to be in the matrix to get that sweet balance of fear Dougie Howser wanted. Also the cat was definitely more important than they actually demonstrated. I want to know why! 

Having recently watched the trilogy, I really loved the attention to detail on the callbacks to the other movies, some of them were super subtle and great. 

It did look a bit cheap, though. weird they didn't use the iconic green filter! I love the look of the original movies. 

Hoping and praying for a second Animatrix if I'm honest.  That would be so great. 

4 hours ago, robdood said:

It did look a bit cheap, though. weird they didn't use the iconic green filter! I love the look of the original movies.

Didn't they go back and re-colour grade the first one when the sequels came out? It was the first import DVD I ever bought in 1999. I never saw it at the flicks but I don't remember it having the same green tinge that 2 and 3 did when I first watched it.

28 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Didn't they go back and re-colour grade the first one when the sequels came out? It was the first import DVD I ever bought in 1999. I never saw it at the flicks but I don't remember it having the same green tinge that 2 and 3 did when I first watched it.

Yeah, they adjusted the colour for the Ultimate Matrix Collection DVDs to make it look closer to the sequels, which then carried over to the Blu-Ray. Then when the 4K BR came out they went back to something closer to the original look.

Does anyone know which version the brief clips from the first film in Resurrections were taken from?

6 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Yeah, they adjusted the colour for the Ultimate Matrix Collection DVDs to make it look closer to the sequels, which then carried over to the Blu-Ray. Then when the 4K BR came out they went back to something closer to the original look.

Strange the things you remember from yearly 20 years ago. I remember they re-colour graded Fellowship of the Ring for the first Bluray release with a horrible green tinge. The other two were left alone. Hopefully they've changed it back since then. I have the 4K Bluray but haven't watched it yet.

16 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Does anyone know which version the brief clips from the first film in Resurrections were taken from?

Relevant here.

I think the inserts in Resurrections are yet another new colour grade. They don’t look like the SDR version of the new 4K master,* which is honestly oversaturated in a lot of places, and yet they have neither the brown cast of the original VHS/DVD transfer or the slightly over egged green of the 2005-2019 release. Might be a new transfer approved by Wachowski?

*Not seen it in HDR but I’ve only seen Resurrections in SDR.

Edit - The original Matrix was very green though, contrary to popular belief the green cast isn’t an invention of the 2005 regrade. They tinted as much “in-Matrix” stuff in the production green as they could. That even continued in Reloaded: the twins’ make-up isn’t white.

In regards to the colour of the new movie. It actually matches the super saturated look of the "matrix" right at the end of revolutions (specifically the sky), when the oracle and the architect are having a chat, which is presumably the new revised matrix, so there is some continuity there. 

I don’t get the complaints about the look of it either. It’s framed in a very conventional way and almost always slightly closer than I’d expect but the strong use of colour and high contrast were welcome, and the “real world” scenes really captured the look of the first two sequels. I think it’s purposefully hyperreal and clear in the Matrix.

So nowhere near as bad as the reviews made out and I applaud spending large amount of money on batshit mental movies even when they are imperfect, but yeah.

Spoiler

It very much wanted its cake and eating it - knowingly giving off about nostalgia while milking the original trilogy for all it's worth. The action was strangely anaemic. I didn't expect it to be ground breaking but I was surprised it was so underwhelming.

It is a film that is really self satisfied with how clever it is - the bullet time thing was just argh -, but there definitely some decent ideas in there that would be the basis of a solid film. I just think they'd be better explored in a straight sequel, "it's a new version of the Matrix, so a new One" who is a bit younger and could do more Kung Fu sequences rather than pushing his hands out a lot. If you want Keanu and Trinity in, there's so many ways to write them in and have them Obi Wan for a bit.

I think back to the first film and it's so tight - initial intrigue, great central idea, internally consistent, brilliant tension at the end and great action. And this is so far from that and just throws everything at the wall and then finds another wall and throws it at it.

Still, didn't hate it. Not sure I'd watch it again though.

26 minutes ago, Darwock said:

You can’t really have a new ‘the one’ while the old ‘the one’ is still kicking about though, otherwise they would be ‘the two’.

Instead of Neo they could be called Wot.

Not a problem, barely an inconvenience. You've a new one.

If you want Keanu back, since he was very, very dead at the end of the last film, you have the remnants of his consciousness retained in the Matrix, or a program that is a famicile of him. Keanu's back but he's not the One

Spoiler

One of those ideas are literally used here for Morpheus, and Keanu isn't really "the One" here either.

10 hours ago, kensei said:
  Hide contents

I just think they'd be better explored in a straight sequel, "it's a new version of the Matrix, so a new One" who is a bit younger and could do more Kung Fu sequences rather than pushing his hands out a lot. If you want Keanu and Trinity in, there's so many ways to write them in and have them Obi Wan for a bit.

I'm a bit sceptical that the guy busy still knocking out John Wick movies, that have only got more physical as they've gone along, was the limiting factor in the action scenes.