IGNORED

The Matrix 4: Resurrections - Reeves, Moss and Lana Wachowski Returning! Dec 22nd 2021

Goose

A somewhat interesting piece of work, but a let down in many ways.

The metatextual first act is the best. It can be on-the-nose and cringey, but at least it's doing something interesting.

I like the concept that

Spoiler

the human population of the Matrix could be served a piece of entertainment called "The Matrix" that lays the entire truth in front of them. But of course it doesn't wake anybody up because it's served as entertainment. Ironically, stimulating people's brains with the philosophical concepts of "The Matrix" probably just made their brains think harder - thus making them more efficient batteries in their pods - whilst never actually causing anybody to rebel against the Matrix.

After the first act it turns into a fairly standard Matrix film... dare I say "soft reboot". Although I did like some of the ideas for what's happened in the real human city in the 20 years since.

Unfortunately the film is completely let down by the action and the photography. It looks oddly digital. You know in the early 2000s when digital camera technology was still developing and didn't look filmic yet? Resurrections looks like that. The action is so flat and unremarkable -- absolutely none of the inventive stuntwork or VFX that The Matrix is known for. I can think of only one or two shots that are memorable. It sometimes looks like a fan film.

And what's with the RATM cover at the end? I didn't even think you could cover RATM. Wouldn't the very concept of covering RATM be an exercise in commercial irony? I wonder if that's what Lana Wachowski wanted.

Let me finish with something I didn't understand about the plot:

Spoiler

I didn't understand why the Matrix needed Neo and Trinity to be plugged into it.

I get that The Analyst decided to reconstruct Neo and Trinity's bodies and plug them into the Matrix in their own special pods, and I get that he designed a new iteration of the Matrix where humans define their self-experience emotionally. I also heard the line where apparently this version will fail and reset to a previous version if both Neo and Trinity are removed from the Anomaleum ( :rolleyes: ).

But... I don't get why Neo and Trinity need to be plugged in to make it work. There's a fanciful fairytale idea about their love... but how does it add up to an actual logical plot point about Neo and Trinity making the whole Matrix work by being plugged into it? I either missed a line somewhere, or it sounds like bollocks.

Christ. This is what happens when I hardly post here any more. Spend AN HOUR writing a post about The Matrix Resurrections. Post it. See that all the spoilers are open because "[spoiler] [/spoiler]" tags are historical now.

Panic and choose "hide" rather than "edit", because I think hiding a post means I'll get to edit it. But it seems "hide" is a synonym for "delete". Only been here 14 years.

Edit: thank you Pete!

Yeah, this is poor. Was trying to persuade myself it was just a parody or some kind of protest against WB and therefore fine, but I'm not sure that's actually the case...

Spoiler

Can't believe there was no Hugo Weaving or Laurence Fishburne, definitely much worse as a result..

6 hours ago, SqueakyG said:

Christ.

This is what happens when I hardly post here any more.

Spend AN HOUR writing a post about The Matrix Resurrections.

Post it.

See that all the spoilers are open because apparently the forum doesn't do "[spoiler] [/spoiler]" tags any more, and I'm old-school like that.

Panic and choose "hide" rather than "edit", because I think hiding a post means I'll get to edit it while hidden from other people, then can "unhide" again. But it seems "hide" is a synonym for "delete".

I forgot the golden rule. If you write long posts, fucking copy them into Notepad before you hit send. Only been here 14 years.

Mods can unhide it for you

7 hours ago, Stellar said:

At least we got an amazing trailer out of it.

It was a great trailer. I really don't get those who say it wasn't.

I know the action was underwhelming in both trailer and film. But the most intriguing thing about the trailer - Neo and Trinity reuniting but not remembering each other - turned out to be one of the best bits of the film, too. That quiet conversational scene turned out more interesting than pretty much all of the action moments.

In the first film, Smith tells Morpheus that the Matrix was designed to be the peak of human civilization. Which it clearly wasn't as this Matrix is a more advanced civilisation technologically, miraculously mirroring our society now. But how did that happen? How did the machines know how society would progress over those twenty years? How did they know just how technology would progress? Smart phones, cat memes etc?

This then leads to another question: if tech is progressing within the Matrix itself, at what point do humans in the Matrix create another artificial intelligence in the system that can possibly see through the Matrix? 

Ah, who cares. This is a bad film. This is The Matrix and the Crystal Skull as far as I'm concerned.

3 minutes ago, Harsin said:

The war between the machines still happened in what would still be our future (2139). The late 90s being about as good as it got compared to what came after is surprisingly prescient in retrospect.

Morpheus tells Neo that sometime in the early 21st century we gave birth to AI and then the war happened. That doesn't give much hope that they got to 2139.

2 hours ago, squirtle said:

Morpheus tells Neo that sometime in the early 21st century we gave birth to AI and then the war happened. That doesn't give much hope that they got to 2139.

AI emerges in the mid 21st century but the time it takes for it to escalate into full fledged war is about a hundred years. The war begins in 2139, so there’s plenty of time for our society to have happened even before the advent of AI, let along before the actual war. 

2 minutes ago, Broker said:

AI emerges in the mid 21st century but the time it takes for it to escalate into full fledged war is about a hundred years. The war begins in 2139, so there’s plenty of time for our society to have happened even before the advent of AI, let along before the actual war. 

I've just watched the clip. Morpheus says early in the 21st, not mid. But, if the war did not take place for another 100 years... Then OK. 

38 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Dare I say I enjoyed this here? I was genuinely nervous after reading the general negative feedback in this thread. I adore the Matrix universe so really didn't want to be let down. Thankfully I wasn't. Nothing will ever come close to the first film, but I think I'd put 4 above 3 and possibly even 2. I'm a right soppy git though and love a love story.

Yes! Totally say that you loved it! …and why you loved it if you do so like! That would be interesting! I personally much prefer reading about why people enjoy something rather than dislike it. 

4 minutes ago, squirtle said:

I've just watched the clip. Morpheus says early in the 21st, not mid. But, if the war did not take place for another 100 years... Then OK. 

There was unrest, war, then a period of piece then all-out war according to The Second Renaissance in the Animatrix.

I watched it again and actually, it's not that bad. A solid 6. The music and fight scenes are trash - completely uninspired. But the social commentary (how we care more about feelings than facts for example) and the director's obvious dig at being pushed into a sequel and the open ripping into WB was pretty good.

It also advances the Matrix timeline and universe as well, with some parts of the Machine world now wanting freedom from their rulers and being with humans instead. Something which, if you've seen the Animatrix, is what they originally wanted, but the humans were scared of.

And Neo and Trinity having full control of how the Matrix works, is one step closer to more humans being freed and rebuilding themselves in the real world.

Certainly a lot of scope for fan fiction to pick up on.

I have no affinity with the first. Always found it decent if incredibly overhyped. A lot of it is shit.

This is decent. Certainly not terrible or the worst thing ever. First hour is great.  Some really fun moments throughout, some crap. Par for the course with the series as a whole.

And it does feel like a big fuck you to WB from Wachowski. Liking that.

Add me to the list of idiots* that quite liked the first half hour or so best.

I enjoyed the idea that neo thought he was crazy, and all the commentary about the originals being misunderstood or misrepresented, and essentially being forced into making a sequel that wasn’t needed.... but my god did they bang that nail into your head a lot more than necessary!

When they actually got to the matrix bits it was awful. There’s nothing that’s going to be remembered like the originals. Learning Kung-fu, the lobby scene, highway chase, burley brawl, smith and neo super human rain fight thing.

The subtext of the originals was great, but like it or not, it’s the action that made them truly awesome. And some of this was awful.

Spoiler

I was totally expecting trinity to grab neo and whoosh off, but the way they just hang in mid air looked laughable. 

Now I kinda hope there will be a reboot in some way. This was a totally unnecessary movie, so we might as well have some more, they can’t be worse than this.

Instead of a movie with a message, we got a message without a movie.

* the after credits bit soured me on a lot of the developer bits I enjoyed earlier.

The problem with the first 30-45 mins is that it’s a 10+ year old idea of what those types of media people do all day. It’s incredibly dated. Layered inside their “oh isn’t it meta” framing which is itself a 10+ year old idea, made the whole thing seem really old hat. 

I was banging on about Keanu looking old and a bit slow for the John Wick Movies, this is him  at 50 for the 1st movie.

Reddit link

So yeah, granted it's 7 years or so ago  but just goes to show I really know what I'm talking about and I should be treated as an expert on the square root of fuck all.

This is utter shite, pre-release I was really hoping they were going to do a weird experimental thing calling out all these sad old nostalgia projects like Star Wars or Ghostbusters: Afterlife, but in the end its approach was very having its cake and eating it. The plot generally can be described as "I know directors who use subtext, and they're all cowards".

And the technical aspects just seem like a mess, how you do go from a unique style, direction, fight choreography to having none of those? It was cutting away from punches in the !Dojo fight that looked like a 2009 PC tech demo, but then later on they're just machine gunning down civilians at close range with blood spraying everywhere, so it wasn't to keep a rating. Just... a lot of baffling choices here in general (and just tonally a mess).

Why does the cast of Hook show up half way through for a fight scene?

Not often you watch a film and think 'I avoided watching the trailers for months for that??' I missed out on on all the possible forced excitement, although watching the trailer now they show a lot and I'm not sure I would be excited. Also shows that excitement can quickly fade away when you watch a hyped film and it's so often lazily shot it reaches a low level that you start to lose faith in the film. When Morpheus introduced himself i did think this should be far better than it is being. 

The Matrix really is a masterpiece of efficient direction. About removing unnecessary shots so you're just left with scenes that basically become iconic.

I'm not into over analysing a film afterwards really, extrapolating what is barely there, enjoying the thoughts the film provokes rather than enjoying the execution of the direction. And this film didn't provoke any thoughts about its themes, just on what a Matrix film that isn't this could be, maybe boring stuff like the beginning of the war or Zion being formed or Morpheus' journey. Or there being another human city Morpheus didn't know about. Something. Not a meta film that often has the tone of an SNL sketch, it just ruins my engagement of it.

When the news came out there would be another Matrix I thought 'well, I like the world' and when the John Wick director was attached I thought 'well I like his action' and 'The Wachowskis have fallen so much I'd have more faith in someone else directing it tbh'.

The biggest weakness of The Matrix films for me is the insertion of a love story that no one cares about. The four films probably waste in total 30 minutes of them staring into eachothers eyes. I don't think they have much chemistry beyond looking alike. 

The film revisiting scenes from the original is straight out of the soul violating wretchedness of Terminator Genisys, the absolute worst form of homage. I loved those scenes in the original because they were executed perfectly, to force you into enduring poor imitations is genuinely painful. This film isn't painful, but I didn't like the endless clips of the originals either, it's not a good idea to show films I'd much rather be watching. It doesn't matter if there's commentary attached to doing it, you're still saying: 'I have no new ideas'. 

I think sequels obsessing about characters is a bad idea because in the original it's just: everything is happening to them, it feels real. Then in the sequels it's like everything revolves around them, and the realness of the world building starts to fall away. We were even told there had been many other 'The Ones' before Neo, he wasn't special and I liked that it spun his love for Trinity and choosing to save her made him different because it made their love have a point.

People become so sentimentaly attached to characters it seems, as though watching Carrie Ann Moss and Keanu Reeves reprise their roles here and having scenes together fills peoples hearts or something. Or like seeing the same in The Hobbit trilogy. For me...no. I don't care. And I love Lord Of The Rings and was invested in those characters. 

The Terminator series can't get out of making each one a chase film, and The Matrix it seems can't get out of thinking it's delivering some profound deep love story for the ages. When

Spoiler

Trinity inexplicably hovers in the air holding on to Neo's hand, you're supposed to find it a moving image I guess? Whilst also thinking 'er, how?' A couple holding hands leaping off a rooftop as though it means anything, this film should not have focused on their forced love.