IGNORED

The Matrix 4: Resurrections - Reeves, Moss and Lana Wachowski Returning! Dec 22nd 2021

Goose

I didn't hate it. I didn't love it. I kind of felt nothing by the end.

I felt like it would've been better if the action in the first five minutes was the only action, and the rest of the movie was just a constant "fuck you" to the audience and the studio, and Keanu Reeves ends up going insane, killing every motherfucker.

More sequels that are quite happy to take the piss out of sequels and more and more films that really wind up the identifying as an attack helicopter mob please.  

Best part was when Keanu looked into the mirror and saw a fucking nerd.

I thought it was a solid 8/10 too.

There probably isn’t a film made which is better than the original Matrix, but this was bang on. Great action, interesting twist on the matrix verse and lovely call backs to the original. It would’ve got a 9 if not for the short scene where Neo got imprisoned in a cell with a balcony. 

On 24/12/2021 at 01:04, Spacehost said:

Someone once said, "nostalgia is a toxic impulse", and that's really stuck with me and informed a lot of, frankly, fairly embarrassing realisations about my own psyche.

I think this is a movie at least as interested in thinking about itself as a Matrix follow-up two decades down the line, as it is being a Matrix follow-up two decades down the line. Where you wind up opinion-wise on the movie probably depends on what sort of arch media pervert you are; I can unapologetically rant about how Metal Gear Solid 2 is the defining piece of media for our generation for several real hours.

Twin Peaks: The Return explored all of these themes much more deftly while also being a compelling piece of television/filmmaking. 

Exploring themes or having a message doesn't redeem a mediocre piece of art. You'd be better served reading some philosophy for a couple of hours.

9 hours ago, the_debaser said:

I thought it was a solid 8/10 too.

There probably isn’t a film made which is better than the original Matrix, but this was bang on. Great action, interesting twist on the matrix verse and lovely call backs to the original. It would’ve got a 9 if not for the short scene where Neo got imprisoned in a cell with a balcony. 

CMon now mate. This is never an 8/10 film. The action specifically was poor compared to the others. Even the swooshy matrix hand waving sound effects were muted. 

On 23/12/2021 at 21:37, T Pot said:

I think quality of the films best to worst has matched the releases. 1 > 2 > 3 > 4

1 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - (etc) - > 2 > 3

The two sequels did absolutely nothing for me - still excited to see this but judging by this thread it’s not very promising!

32 minutes ago, pastry said:

1 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - (etc) - > 2 > 3

The two sequels did absolutely nothing for me - still excited to see this but judging by this thread it’s not very promising!

3 was a bag of meh, but I really like 2. Maybe because it came out when I was 14/15 and was the first one I saw in the cinema.

Also guns, fighting, flying, explosions, Carrie-Anne Moss in tight leather getups? I was a teenage boy ffs!

On 24/12/2021 at 20:05, Harsin said:

If you want a sequel that the original director never wanted to make, but the studio gave them carte blanche, and they used this rare opportunity to subvert the entire concept of unneeded retread sequels, satirises capitalism and media consumer culture and gave a giant middle finger to the studio and also made something that's also an incredibly entertaining film in its own right; then you could do a lot worse than watch the one in my avatar.

Sorry, Spielberg is cancelled due to West Side Story. I’ve decided this must now also extend to Amblin Entertainment. 

1 hour ago, T Pot said:

3 was a bag of meh, but I really like 2. Maybe because it came out when I was 14/15 and was the first one I saw in the cinema.

Also guns, fighting, flying, explosions, Carrie-Anne Moss in tight leather getups? I was a teenage boy ffs!

2 is a fantastic film, if you chop out the first 50 minutes and start the film with Neo chatting to the Oracle before the big fight with the agents.

If you do that, it’s arguably as good as the first one.

18 minutes ago, ZOK said:

if you chop out the first 50 minutes and start the film with Neo chatting to the Oracle before the big fight with the agents.

It always bothered me that it starts with a montage of action sequences that mean nothing because they have no context. Then these are cut from later on in the film (when they take out the power plant), and make that sequence less exciting as a result. I’d move them back to where they belong.

I have seen it.

Is it as terrible as I was led to believe by this thread? Not really. Was it actually good? Also no, not really. 

I kinda respect Lana Wachowski though for taking the WB money and making this to stop WB from going ahead with the reboot. 

I just saw Spider Man today. And holy moly. It looks amazing, it has a plot that makes sense, it literally made me cry, and I then remembered watching the Matrix and it just made me sad.

You could take the same ideas and wrap them in a competently made film and it’d probably be pretty stunning. I also can’t get over how efficient Marvel is at doing this stuff too. Sure it’s lightweight as hell, but it’s so so brilliantly done- I feel we take it far too much for granted. This Matrix really shows it’s not so easy.

There's so much wrong with this film. Aside from the first 45 minutes, which I wished had been stretched out to be the their film. No action, just Keanu in some kind of Lost in Translation pastiche. I could have got on board with that. But not this. Not like this.