Jump to content

The Matrix 4: Resurrections - Reeves, Moss and Lana Wachowski Returning! Dec 22nd 2021


Goose
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Two weird logistical questions occurred to me last night as I was falling asleep:

 

When the previous Ones returned to the Source, they would’ve been jacked in via ships like Neo was. So what happened when they reset the Matrix? Did their crews just sit around wondering what was going on before all of them but The One were picked off by suspiciously careful Sentinels? Did those same Sentinels then tidy up the corpses and unplug The One so he could go and (solo) pick up his party posse? Wouldn’t they have wondered why The One’s choice of first rebel city was full of still-warm rubble and flesh blood stains?

 

Number two, each Matrix lasts for about 100 years. So if Neo had made the other choice, would he have returned to an 1899 Matrix? Or do the Machines somehow create a convincing eternal 1990s? And how is that not just a description of the paradise world that the Architect originally made?

 

There are lots of possible answers to these and I’m really fascinated as to what the Wachowskis had in mind, if anything.

 

I take it back, I'm on a media blackout for 4 but I'm totally here for how much time Alex spends musing about the trilogy.

 

I think the films answer number two. Morpheus reckons it's... I forget exactly but some date in the future, but they don't know exactly. But perhaps it's much further into the future than they realize, because they have no knowledge of the anomaly iterations. I wonder if the 90s thing was just a 4th wall nod to audience goers. But, they didn't (re)create the peak of civilization because if iterations are 100 years then Neo just happens to bust out at around "the peak". You could probably seed the knowledge in the x number of people Neo chooses to re-seed Zion, but if there are people born in Zion then they're definitely going to set a physical time (and I assume this is where the ~100 year thing comes from). 

 

But I don't think Neo returns to 1899, he's.. what, in this 30s? So he isn't born until the ~60s. That's assuming the physical time of ~100 years is true. But what if it's ALL bollocks, and they plant everyone except those that bust out after the iteration start? Like the kid out the window from the Animatrix. But Neo has a physical body aging, and Neo is always Neo (we see video clips of earlier anomalies on the Architect's monitors*), so how does the Matrix reset to anything other than Neo being as old as his body?

 

Sorry, I realize none of this is coherent, I'm just brain dumping. But it's why I love these films so much.

 

Also, in 4, I assume we're into new waters because the Matrix is typically reset in the 90s. I think we probably also have to consider that they didn't have answers for any of this at the time, but have had to consider it now for 4. Fascinated to see where this goes (just to answer a question earlier in this thread about why anyone would care about this new film). 

 

 

*I love that in the original interrogation screen with the 3 agents, the camera zooms in on Neo by first travelling "through" one of the monitors in the Architect's room.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Two weird logistical questions occurred to me last night as I was falling asleep:

 

When the previous Ones returned to the Source, they would’ve been jacked in via ships like Neo was. So what happened when they reset the Matrix? Did their crews just sit around wondering what was going on before all of them but The One were picked off by suspiciously careful Sentinels? Did those same Sentinels then tidy up the corpses and unplug The One so he could go and (solo) pick up his party posse? Wouldn’t they have wondered why The One’s choice of first rebel city was full of still-warm rubble and flesh blood stains?

 

Number two, each Matrix lasts for about 100 years. So if Neo had made the other choice, would he have returned to an 1899 Matrix? Or do the Machines somehow create a convincing eternal 1990s? And how is that not just a description of the paradise world that the Architect originally made?

 

There are lots of possible answers to these and I’m really fascinated as to what the Wachowskis had in mind, if anything.


I often wondered about the time thing. I think there’s two possibilities:

 

One possibility is the clock resets once a year and they’re all basically living the same calendar year again and again. The deal Cypher is offered and the Animatrix short Program suggest that the machines can put people back into the matrix and alter their memories. I’d guess that the 99.9% of the humans who accept the matrix could probably deal with this but the few who are already prone to questioning their reality might be more likely to feel that way around new year in this scenario. So people’s lives progress but they don’t notice it’s always 1998.

 

The other potential scenario is that time keeps passing but the world doesn’t progress meaningfully in technology or politics. The world is endlessly trapped in a 90’s world even though the clock is ticking up and there’s no meaningful progress. 
 

Assuming that the machines can change memories this would also account for the resetting of the matrix, as they could change the memories to wipe over the inconsistencies. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Broker said:

One possibility is the clock resets once a year and they’re all basically living the same calendar year again and again. The deal Cypher is offered and the Animatrix short Program suggest that the machines can put people back into the matrix and alter their memories. I’d guess that the 99.9% of the humans who accept the matrix could probably deal with this but the few who are already prone to questioning their reality might be more likely to feel that way around new year in this scenario. So people’s lives progress but they don’t notice it’s always 1998.

Oh I really like this. You could have the stated number of anomalies with Neo essentially looking the same age. But - how does Zion end up with so many people when the Architect tells Neo to hand pick a few people to rebuild Zion, after the machines destroy it (which they're now good at)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As the phones/tablets in the Matrix in this film are similar to current devices, the time is either set to around 2021 or more time has passed in this matrix. That is if as touched upon earlier, time continues and not on a short loop. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/09/2021 at 21:58, Goose said:

That's a stunning, stunning trailer.

 

I was going to avoid all trailers until it's out, but caved... Watched about 30 seconds then turned it off. Already sold. Going in blind.

 

Bye bye thread until Xmas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/09/2021 at 22:26, Pug said:

As the phones/tablets in the Matrix in this film are similar to current devices, the time is either set to around 2021 or more time has passed in this matrix. That is if as touched upon earlier, time continues and not on a short loop. 

 

There's also the dinosaurs to think about.

 

"Evolution, Morpheus, evolution, like the dinosaur."

Good luck getting anyone to believe in dinosaurs when they have zero perception of time.

 

Or, maybe you only learn about dinosaurs once you reach Zion? idk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/09/2021 at 18:23, Chewylegs said:

You guys do know his name is Laurence Fishburne, right?!  Extremely well known actor who isn't just... That guy from The Matrix🤣

 

I still remember the days when he was Larry Fishburne!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 01/10/2021 at 16:21, Festoon said:

Interesting to see both actors as Trinity here:

 

image.png.bb1f4a64428527ab6a0298eb7bcf3109.png

I keep looking at this pic and can only see Trinity. What do you mean?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JPL said:

I keep looking at this pic and can only see Trinity. What do you mean?

 

Second from left is Jessica Henwick, the blue - haired character from the rest of the trailer, just with her normal hair. As are a few on the right.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/09/2021 at 00:44, Pug said:

....Anyone notice when Trinity used that shout power that the blue haired girl was part of the surrounding image. Maybe she is this matrix version of Trinity so they are linked.

I don't know I'm tired and spitballing ideas out aloud.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm sure no-one reads my posts. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

https://www.cbr.com/matrix-resurrections-not-a-sequel/ 

 

The important snippet in question (spoilered just in case)

Spoiler

"I saw the film in Berlin in September," Mitchell told To Vima. "It's really good. I cannot tell you what this film is about, but I could explain what it is not. It's certainly not yet one more sequel, but something autonomous that contains however the three Matrix that preceded in a really ingenious way. It's a very beautiful and weird creation. It also achieves a couple of things that we do not see in action films, meaning it subverts the rules of blockbusters."

 

Some parallel Story, a different branch or iteration of the Matrix?

:sherlock:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pet theory:

 

Spoiler

Neo's mind is living in The Source in the machine city, he has to barter with the big baby robot from the end of Revolutions, here played by that guy from Glee and Mindhunter, to return to the Matrix and reconnect with humanity... something something... they accidentally plug him in to the machines' movie of The Matrix... hilarity ensues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.