The Matrix 4: Resurrections - Reeves, Moss and Lana Wachowski Returning! Dec 22nd 2021

Goose

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

Pulled The Art of the Matrix off the shelf and enjoyed the terrible Watchowski storyboards vs professional boards comparisons.

Hey if gets across the shot! I used to do some car commercials and my storyboards for shooting were basically stick men, arrows, boxes and notes. Rough af. ^_^

I doubt it but the nicely drawn storyboards you see here may very well have been done retrospectively or done for the studio, rather than as an artefact for shooting.

I'm all in.  My feelings towards the 2nd and 3rd films have changed somewhat recently, want to watch them again. 

This was quite interesting (but long!) about many things, but the big one being how the Matrix is an allegory for transness :)

6 minutes ago, robdood said:

I'm all in.  My feelings towards the 2nd and 3rd films have changed somewhat recently, want to watch them again. 

This was quite interesting (but long!) about many things, but the big one being how the Matrix is an allegory for transness :)

Is there a TL;DR summary of this video anywhere? I’m not against watching it but I’ll struggle to fit a 2 hour video essay in my schedule.

The trailer isn't bad but it's so weird to me that the CGI seems worse / more obvious than the first film.

Looks like there's very few practical effects tidied up with CGI, and more like just full frames of CGI.

I know it's been the way for a while now but it's still disappointing.

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

Is there a TL;DR summary of this video anywhere? I’m not against watching it but I’ll struggle to fit a 2 hour video essay in my schedule.

I found this thread quite interesting regarding the first film being a trans allegory: 

Avoid reading the replies, obviously.

2 hours ago, mexos said:

Hey if gets across the shot! I used to do some car commercials and my storyboards for shooting were basically stick men, arrows, boxes and notes. Rough af. ^_^

I doubt it but the nicely drawn storyboards you see here may very well have been done retrospectively or done for the studio, rather than as an artefact for shooting.

2 hours ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

I dunno if it was as much of a thing back then, but over-polished 'concept art' or other production art that can be sold separately is very much a thing today, so it's entirely possible they may have done it too.

IIRC they paid to get the film professionally storyboarded and a tonne of concept art done for pitching because nobody understood it from the script. Definitely not a normal production.

Edit - My “first viewing” story was also VHS, everyone had been hyped about it but not everyone managed to get out and see it. (By contrast I saw Episode 1 twice because someone had to take the younger cousins.) We didn’t even buy the tape, we rented it from the library.

It blew our tiny minds so of course we watched it again, and Colin insisted on using the slow-mo repeat function on the video player during the lobby fight, which caused it to immediately eat the tape.

45 minutes ago, PK said:

I found this thread quite interesting regarding the first film being a trans allegory: 

Avoid reading the replies, obviously.

Oh shit, you've settled a long standing argument between me and a friend. I have always argued that, given the Wachowski's transitioning, there was no way there aren't heavy gender identity themes within the Matrix. Even if they weren't deliberate or apparent to the writers at the time. The world is a manifestation of their thought, so of course those themes will form part of that construct. My friend has always argue this isn't the case. 

1 hour ago, PK said:

This was an excellent thread, cheers. I didn't even bother with the comments, I assume it's the usual Twitter crap fest. 

26 minutes ago, snowbind said:

Oh shit, you've settled a long standing argument between me and a friend. I have always argued that, given the Wachowski's transitioning, there was no way there aren't heavy gender identity themes within the Matrix. Even if they weren't deliberate or apparent to the writers at the time. The world is a manifestation of their thought, so of course those themes will form part of that construct. My friend has always argue this isn't the case. 

The whole business on the train platform and the dead-naming of him as Mr Anderson etc is really not subtle and trying to pretend it isn't a trans allegory really shows up your own biases I'd say. 

I totally dismissed it until I saw it broken down properly and with confirmations by the creators, so yeah, it's definitely there. Not least the whole business with the character called switch.

The 2nd film in the original trilogy has the best action sequence I've ever seen (from the fight on the stairs all the way up to the end of the highway case). The editing is just spot on. 

The 3rd one is odd, haven't seen it for a while. A friend of mine thought that one of the captains kept saying "Got to stop those dickers!" and that has stuck with me. 

How many new Matrix films do you reckon there are going to be? Another trilogy?

I'm hoping that they shoehorn in The Merovingian into this one.

Just to hear him swearing some more in French.

It's like wiping your arse with silk!

EDIT: The first three films are on Prime Video if anybody is feeling the need for a rewatch 

1 hour ago, englishbob said:

The 2nd film in the original trilogy has the best action sequence I've ever seen (from the fight on the stairs all the way up to the end of the highway case). The editing is just spot on. 

I love that whole sequence.  Among the many bits, always love the slow mo/music slow as Neo is followed off the balcony by the henchmen and the camera.  Also love the skid out of the car park for some reason.

The sword in the side of the truck always feels cheaty in its placement and it bugs me every time!

In contrast to how much I enjoy the henchmen fight that kicks off the chase, the fetish club lobby fight from 3 is utter pap.  It's like a parody of a Matrix fight.

Fucking hell - Revolutions might have some really fun bits in it (and the 'real world' sfx still hold up rather well), but the last 30 minutes or so are interminable bullshit. 

I mean, clearly no-one could be arsed with it anymore.

Oh well.

3 hours ago, teddymeow said:

I'm hoping that they shoehorn in The Merovingian into this one.

Just to hear him swearing some more in French.

It's like wiping your arse with silk!

EDIT: The first three films are on Prime Video if anybody is feeling the need for a rewatch 

Er, he's in the trailer. Speaking.

6 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

It's an actor called Jonathan Groff. 

Jesus, he's the image of Wilson. I was wondering how he had stayed so well-preserved looking.

That's the lad from Mindhunter and Hamilton, right?

5 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Jesus, he's the image of Wilson. I was wondering how he had stayed so well-preserved looking.

That's the lad from Mindhunter and Hamilton, right?

Haha! Yeah, Wilson is 63 now so that'd be super impressive!

Groff is indeed from those. He's very good!