The Matrix 4: Resurrections - Reeves, Moss and Lana Wachowski Returning! Dec 22nd 2021

Goose

1 hour ago, mexos said:

I found myself missing the signature look a bit. And the green. The green is subtly there, and it all looks beautifully shot but it maybe feels more like a John Wick film than a Matrix film.

The green is a feature of the previous iteration of the matrix that is removed when it’s rebooted at the end of the third movie. The version that Sati helps create is more colourful, you see it at the end of Revolutions.

2 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

How many incarnations of the matrix has there been?

3 or 9, depending on your definition.

Theres two beta versions, the perfect matrix which Smith mentions in the first movie which was widely rejected for being either too good to be true or because the machines didn’t have the language to describe the perfect world. After that there’s the nightmare matrix where the Merovingian was the architect, which included vampires and werewolves. After that they developed the version with the one as the solution for people who rejected the simulation. Technically that’s the final version, but it’s reloaded 5 times before the first movie. The trilogy takes place in version 6 of this iteration and it’s reloaded a final time at the end of the trilogy into the seventh iteration of the third overall version of the matrix. Though I guess you could argue that the change of removing the prime program that creates the one might be major enough to count as a full new version. So maybe the version at the end of the trilogy is version 4.0.

27 minutes ago, Venice Cull said:

Damn. Avoid the reddit thread on the trailer as someone posted quite a plausible spoiler which would have been nice to experience 'in the moment'.

Remember back in the day when someone online posted a massive list of spoilers relating to Matrix Reloaded, all of which turned out to be completely fabricated? Great days 

Great trailer!

As much as I want Dune to succeed, their efforts with trailers have been so god damned pedestrian by comparison.

Totally up for a new Matrix movie where I don’t think I even bothered with the last one.

Comments on a few specific bits in the trailer:

Spoiler

0:50 - In 1999 Neo was a weirdo for staying up all night on his computer. Now he's the only one not looking at a computer.

1:05 - Keanu face morphing? Very A Scanner Darkly!

1:41 - Not the same jagged, broken typography as the originals, but a similar idea, with the way the text starts crooked and straightens up.

2:12 - I love this sort of disorientating doorway portal/gravity direction flipping. :wub:

And ending with a hint of the "see-sawing" musical motif. Don Davis isn't doing the music this time: it's Tom Tykwer and Johnny Klimek.

Well against all expectations that actually looks really good. I’m shocked.

Nice to see a trailer these days that doesn’t spell out the entire plot of the film for once too. Think that’ll be the last one I watch though because they can’t help themselves and the whole thing will be spoiled before long, especially with the voracious current-day internet appetite for dissecting everything to a molecular level before it’s even come out.

Being an 18 year old grunge kid at the time, the first Matrix was one of the greatest cinema experiences of my life, so as tired as I am of endless fucking reboots and pandering to the nostalgia of men my age that seems to have become ubiquitous in recent years, I’ll allow it this once. 😎

Er, yeah. HBO Max means I actually get to see it when it comes out, not months down the line when it's finally streaming.

A discussion for another thread perhaps, but apart from philosophical nonsense about the theatre versus your home setup, are there any numbers to suggest the 31 days a film appears on HBO, or "premium access" releases on Disney+, actually dent a film's take? I reasonably assumed it was done to get people to subscribe and keep subscribing, so consistent money. Do the actors take a smaller cut because, technically, the streaming platform and not the film itself is getting revenue?

19 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Er, yeah. HBO Max means I actually get to see it when it comes out, not months down the line when it's finally streaming.

A discussion for another thread perhaps, but apart from philosophical nonsense about the theatre versus your home setup, are there any numbers to suggest the 31 days a film appears on HBO, or "premium access" releases on Disney+, actually dent a film's take? I reasonably assumed it was done to get people to subscribe and keep subscribing, so consistent money. Do the actors take a smaller cut because, technically, the streaming platform and not the film itself is getting revenue?

I suppose the closest chance we have of finding out accurate numbers is if the Disney+ figures for Black Widow are made public as part of Scarlett Johansson's lawsuit against Disney.

It seems unlikely to me that Disney will let it get that far, because they probably don't want other actors and studios to know how much they're making from Disney+ subscriptions and sales, and exact details of their contracts with stars. The studios probably benefit from it not being widely-known exactly how much a direct-to-subscription streaming/direct-to-premium access movie is worth, compared to a theatrical release.

Watched this three times already, like when I mainlined the Super Bowl teaser at 330x240 which I downloaded over my uni dial-up. Good times man.

Might be moving my Christmas plans to see it at the IMAX IDK.

43 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Well, apart from some cinema chains complaining to the point of telling Universal where to get off, Scarlett Johnson is specifically taking Disney to court because her cut from the Black Widow film only takes into account a cinema release.

What's the excitement for? Maybe I'm confused but what is everyone so excited about?

That first film is so perfect... What are we waiting for here?

Surely the brilliant thing about the Matrix was that unknown quality?

How are you all coming to terms with those dickheads dancing barefoot in the sequel?

1 hour ago, Smoothy said:

Yeah, I appreciate the distribution of funds changes (i.e., into the streaming platform versus direct film revenue), I just wondered if it affects the overall bottom line. They keep doing it, so I assume not. HBO Max makes it a selling point that you'll see WB films at no extra cost.

Like, if this becomes a thing and we always get the option, you may not get the top grossing stuff being challenged as some portion of monies goes elsewhere.

</boring bean counter stuff distracting us from the Matrix>

30 minutes ago, Simmy said:

How are you all coming to terms with those dickheads dancing barefoot in the sequel?

Man, I remember sitting in the cinema and thinking "oh dear, this is embarrassing" at that bit