rllmuk
dvdx2

Any CRT fans on the forum? Monitors, broadcast, tvs

19 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I guess it's personal preference, but I have a 20L4 and -used to- have a consumer set and I love 480i on the 20L4. 

PS2 and Gamecube stuff has never looked better imo! 

480i gamecube? No chance! Mostly all the ntsc library is 480p and that’s were a vga monitor/multiformat bvm comes in. Your eyes would melt if you saw f-zero gx running in 480p on my Sony F520! 

2 minutes ago, dvdx2 said:

480i gamecube? No chance! Mostly all the ntsc library is 480p and that’s were a vga monitor/multiformat bvm comes in. Your eyes would melt if you saw f-zero gx running in 480p on my Sony F520! 

I'm sure it looks absolutely spiffing on your prog scan BVM, but I don't have one. 

Never looked better as in, this is the best I've seen this 480i content. 

18 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I'm sure it looks absolutely spiffing on your prog scan BVM, but I don't have one. 

Never looked better as in, this is the best I've seen this 480i content. 

I don’t have one either, but I am always on the lookout!

• Upvote 1

I see digital foundry have finally realised that crt is better than lcd..

‘Motion handling on CRT is on another level compared to modern technologies in that every aspect of every frame is rendered identically, to the point where even a 768p presentation may well be delivering more detail in motion than a 4K LCD’

• Upvote 1

That sony fw-900 was the exact monitor I used to have. Makes me sad thinking about not having it anymore. Used to run all sorts of different systems on it; 360, ps3 and even prog scan ps2 games etc. I remember being quite pleased with myself for using it to play shadow of the colossus on the ps2.

A quick snap off my rough and ready CRT, 21 inch Sony trinitron I picked up for£40 and a variety of consoles and controllers. Also have a Mister FPGA sat out of shot.

Very much gone down the rabbit hole as a result of picking up a modded xbox again a few months ago!, It's great for watching 80's cartoons on!

IMG_0409.jpg

• Upvote 4

There's a guy near me selling brand new CRTs for £15 on Facebook marketplace

76747332_10158002698131803_3548532079086

28" though is gonna be an absolute bastard to move about

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

There's a guy near me selling brand new CRTs for £15 on Facebook marketplace

76747332_10158002698131803_3548532079086

28" though is gonna be an absolute bastard to move about

took my and my dad, and a bucket of sweat to get a 32 inch Sony up two flights of stairs. 

hardest work I’ve done in ages. 

Shame they weren't 20". I'd have took a punt on that. I had a 25" Panasonic TXMD3 a few years ago ,unfortunately, the Scart socket packed up so I had to take it to the tip and that was heavy as fuck, I could just about lift it on my own.

82043554_10157629189955803_4539480922327

I’ve been playing a fair bit on my eMac recently. It’s a beautiful CRT screen! With the Mac, 90s games that ran at 320x240 (it was it 200?) on PC like Lemmings, Doom, Worms etc run natively at 640x400 so there’s more detail than I’m used to. See the Lemmings photo I’ve attached!
Quake at 640x480 is smooth as butter as the screen refresh is something like 138hz. 
DVDs look brilliant too, I stuck on Clone Wars to test it (the traditionally animated 5min shorts, not the CGI series) and ended up watching the entire disc. 

The machine cost £25 and I paid a tenner to upgrade the Ram to 1gig. It’s currently my favourite retro machine by far!9BBB1C44-47EB-471C-9662-C72476A43623.jpeg.b913a794d24a844126c79ace43669a07.jpeg496DA5C7-BA70-4909-89F3-84B2FE5EE5F7.jpeg.1bf5a78e46c79d5f6c55448a8568730e.jpeg

• Upvote 7

Can anyone recommend a decent 20" ish CRT (that isnt PVM etc) that I could use for N64, SNES etc?  Just a small setup in the games room I am looking at doing.

4 hours ago, Parappa said:

Can anyone recommend a decent 20" ish CRT (that isnt PVM etc) that I could use for N64, SNES etc?  Just a small setup in the games room I am looking at doing.

Sony Trinitron would be my shout. Nice picture and the built in speakers aren’t too bad. I’ve got a couple, one in use and another stored away safely as a spare. Incidentally the spare one used to be my friend’s dad’s, we used to play Saturn on it back in 95/96 when we should’ve been at school. 

• Upvote 1

I got a 15" Aiwa CRT for £30 a year or so ago, primarily for getting back into my Saturn and PS1 shmups, but it's become my main gaming screen. It's nothing special at all, but it's a million miles away from the experience of playing older games on newer screens, and it's not only 2D games that benefit. They look fantastic, of course, and I'm currently spending ages gawping at sprite art and backgrounds in Symphony of the Night again (barely even consciously playing it, just looking), but the appearance of textures and colours in 3D games is also completely different. Curse of Darkness, for example, has a reputation for being fairly drab and pedestrian, and I'm almost certain this is due to its being experienced via displays it wasn't designed for, because on a CRT it's all warm, vivid reds and purples and searing neon menus, etc. Even Shadow Tower, a game which is half black most of the time, still benefits from a kind of velvety CRT black, of seemingly endless depth, which isn't perceptible via any other kind of screen. So, remember to revisit your older 3D games on your CRTs, too - there's a whole aesthetic world to rediscover! :p

• Upvote 1

On 29/01/2020 at 17:24, StoooTube said:

Sony Trinitron would be my shout. Nice picture and the built in speakers aren’t too bad. I’ve got a couple, one in use and another stored away safely as a spare. Incidentally the spare one used to be my friend’s dad’s, we used to play Saturn on it back in 95/96 when we should’ve been at school. 

any good? ;)

https://www.gumtree.com/p/televisions-plasma-lcd-tvs/20-sony-trinitron-tv/1365913855

• Upvote 1

That's very old. My nan had one new back somewhere between 1979-1985 (not sure of the exact year). Great picture for back then, but when folks here say Trinitron, I think they mean late 80s-early 2000s.

• Upvote 1

People should also consider a Mitsubishi diamondtron, if they can find one

• Upvote 2

Yes I had a small (14” ish) Mitsubishi CRT when I had my 3DO and Saturn. It was advertised in gaming mags, can’t remember the model name but it was lovely!

Have gone through several crts...but now I have a larger room...

I picked up a Sony trinitron 21" crt...couple of years now..

Anything and Rgb on this set is just beautiful!

Best Trinitron I ever owned was a 24" they're just too big, but image was insane.

I've not bothered with a broadcast monitor...when they were first on the scene,

They weren't that expensive...but they're too pricey now..I think crts have gone up too.

I only know this from looking for a friend, I'm so pleased with my set-up :)

IMG_20200109_174758.jpg

IMG_20200109_174806.jpg

IMG_20200109_180733.jpg

IMG_20200109_181030.jpg

IMG_20200109_181017.jpg

• Upvote 3

Got the crt battle station kitted with a really fancy extron crosspoint

BD259344-B741-41AD-B0A2-3BC73DCE8EBD.jpeg

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1

I'm just about to pick up a Sony bvm-9045d, will be my first CRT since the olden days (not counting the vectrex).. excited!

• Upvote 2

When I get a bigger house, and get my office room (hopefully) all kitted out with my consoles, I'm going to come back to this thread to get a big CRT (28" at least) - I'll need one to play all the Point Blank games, as well as all the Time Crisis ones :D 

• Upvote 3

I'm just after dusting and wiping out almost 24 years of gunk from my PVM. Had to rotate the yoke a tad as there was a slight tilt. Tweaked the focus as the outer edges were smudging.

The caps all look grand but I reckon I'll be ready to commit to replacing them within the year. I know my way around these things pretty well now.

All this action today has made me eager to get my BVM sorted out. I only need to find a replacement power supply (G-board), so if anyone ends up with a borked 14" PVM/BVM, that at the very least turns on, please get in touch!

• Upvote 1

If you have a wide screen crt and choose 4:3 ratio and use an RGB cable - is this the same as using an RGB on a native 4:3 tv?

I ask because my Sony triniton widescreen displays washed out colours via RGB and better but smudged colours via rf.