rllmuk
dvdx2

Any CRT fans on the forum? Monitors, broadcast, tvs

20 hours ago, Treble said:

@Down by Law, you're welcome to the one I mention above, for shipping only. Will be about a tenner or so, I guess. Picture is very good :)

Thanks for the offer mate but I've nowhere to put it now the donated lcd took my crts place :(

• Upvote 1

On 30/09/2018 at 12:40, nakamura said:

I'm starting to think people have forgotten how good games looked when matched up to a proper TV with the correct resolution. 

It's been a bit of a journey for me coming to what is by far the most obvious answer. 

I still own my Framemeister as it's an amazing solution for video capture, and the OSSC is great too, which I also have... but as soon as you play retro games in a CRT, it all just comes together and makes sense. 

Doesn't have to be a fancy PVM or BVM, even a consumer Sony Trinitron at about 20" will make everything look as it should be, and you can pick one up for £20?

37 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

It's been a bit of a journey for me coming to what is by far the most obvious answer. 

I still own my Framemeister as it's an amazing solution for video capture, and the OSSC is great too, which I also have... but as soon as you play retro games in a CRT, it all just comes together and makes sense. 

Doesn't have to be a fancy PVM or BVM, even a consumer Sony Trinitron at about 20" will make everything look as it should be, and you can pick one up for £20?

Yeah I got a 29" Trinitron off eBay recently. I am having problems tracking down a service manual as I'd like to use the service menu to adjust some things, the colour is splitting towards the bottom of the screen, for instance. Have to say the sound on this thing is a beast. It has separate bass speakers and gives out some proper booming bass, sounds great on arcade games. If this thing was lighter I'd take it with me. It was a proper pain lugging this thing up the stairs, really really heavy.

On 30/09/2018 at 12:40, nakamura said:

I'm starting to think people have forgotten how good games looked when matched up to a proper TV with the correct resolution. 

How many people have even played the games as they are meant to look? Not very many. :( Most played PAL consoles via RF or composite in the old days, and you’d be lucky now if most of the people who buy a ‘retro’ console from Cex or car boot sales do more than play the systems via composite on modern TVs stretched to 16:9. Then there’s the flawed emulators, including the Super NES Mini and so on. More clued-up gamers have 60hz consoles with the right connectors and a Framemeister, OSSC or decent CRT, for an authentic experience, but we’re in a depressingly small minority overall.

33 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

Is there a reasonably priced HDMI to RGB scart convertor with minimal lag anyone can recommend? I’d love to connect my NES / SNES minis to my CRT. 

You would need a downscaler for that I think. Might be harder to source! kinda cool idea though. 

• Upvote 1

Plugged my Amiga into a 20" Sony Triniton TV via RGB. I get an odd twitch at the top of the screen once in a while, and the top part of the image seems too curved.

Any ideas?

1 hour ago, Purin said:

Plugged my Amiga into a 20" Sony Triniton TV via RGB. I get an odd twitch at the top of the screen once in a while, and the top part of the image seems too curved.

Any ideas?

get a model number, see if there's a service mode, and try adjusting the geometry?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Purin said:

Any ideas?

That could be a sync issue. Might be an issue with the cable. 

On 28/09/2018 at 09:28, Kevvy Metal said:

Absolute. So much this. 

I was using my old 20" Toshiba CRT before getting the PVM I now use, in a fit of self indulgence. 

Switching to the old CRT I used for my Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube and Xbox back 16 odd years ago was totally revelatory. 

The guys in the US are particularly doo-lally for PVM's as they had no RGB equipped commercial TV's where as we're totally spoilt for them. 

A PVM is a high quality CRT but consumer grade stuff over here can look incredible and these old CRT's bought for a song. 

I do love the scalers like the Framemeister and the OSSC, but stuff like the 240p/480i handshake stuff will eventually drive you up the wall.. and even though the digitised chunky pixel look is good on a flat screen, no CRT filter gets close to the real thing. 

I have another jvc 1400pn pro monitor arriving later the week. Think it will be a nice tate monitor for my spare rgb-pi setup. 

• Upvote 1

So, with much reluctance, I've decided to take a chance on an OSSC and sell my 21-inch JVC PVM. It's just way too big for my tiny flat, and it's ludicrous weight was causing the chest of drawers I had it sat on to bow!

Maybe one day I'll look into a smaller, more manageable CRT to replace it with.

What's the score here with linking to our own eBay auctions? Is that okay to do? I'm sure people here would potentially be interested in it, but I don't want to break forum etiquette.

The rules say no:

YOUR EBAY AUCTIONS

Please remember that this a trading forum, not a shop window for personal auctions. If you want to advertise your auctions then please put a link in your signature. No links to auctions are allowed elsewhere unless you are posting it in reply to a 'Wanted' thread.

However, I don't think anyone in here would mind. Perhaps put it in your sig, just to be compliant? :)

12 minutes ago, Treble said:

The rules say no:

However, I don't think anyone in here would mind. Perhaps put it in your sig, just to be compliant? :)

Ah, that's fair enough. Feels a bit weird hawking my stuff in my signature, but it'll do for a week I guess! :lol:

• Empathy 1

Playing older games on a  CRT is simply pure joy :wub:

I don't know how I ever forgot how games looked on them, you see all these comparisons between older games and their HD updates and the videos in no way represent how they look on the displays they were designed for.

I've come to the conclusion that I prefer FF X and FF XII played on a PS2 connected to a CRT to the HD updates.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Mallet said:

Playing older games on a  CRT is simply pure joy :wub:

I don't know how I ever forgot how games looked on them, you see all these comparisons between older games and their HD updates and the videos in no way represent how they look on the displays they were designed for.

I've come to the conclusion that I prefer FF X and FF XII played on a PS2 connected to a CRT to the HD updates.

Absolutely and zero lag, which is the environment that these games were designed and tested under. 

There's loads of stuff like DMC3 and Viewtiful Joe that need to quick response of a CRT... or all the old school NES platformers.

Not sure i completely get the hate for OLEDS. Mame looks amazing. Although in both cases i run HDMI to HDMI... rather then off a SCART.

Moreso with the ole' HLSL filters (does mame still use these...my Mamefx does).

28 minutes ago, Dimahoo said:

Not sure i completely get the hate for OLEDS. Mame looks amazing. Although in both cases i run HDMI to HDMI... rather then off a SCART.

Don't think anyone is hating OLED's! The newer OLED screen look totally unbelievable, and you'll still get amazing results with a really good OLED display that's compatible with the OSSC. 

CRT's just have a certain "look" to them that's hard to replicate, and also the question of lag is just eliminated. 

I'm running a Panni FZ802 which has 20ms.

Just about playable for most games (although i couldn't play a keyboard with something that high).

But the image blew me away - mostly as the blacks were much darker, and somehow brings out the filtering better.

The OSSC arrived yesterday and it's definitely not as good as just plugging my Megadrive and SNES into the CRT... but I still think I need to sell the thing. It was a bit more fiddly to setup the OSSC than I'd thought too... my Super Famicom absolutely will not play ball with my computer monitor (but works beautifully with my HDTV) and I'm having occasional picture dropouts with the Megadrive (it's a PAL-modded one though, and I understand they can't output a true 60Hz signal - this is apparently where the issues come from).

2 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

No hate but some systems/games look incredible and some don't. All systems look amazing on a CRT. 

So much space though aren't they! Has anyone found a small solution for this, I did see some trim looking crt monitor setups but seems a minefield to get something decent.

I've got the itch to get one as it's annoying seeing an incredibly awful n64 picture

Any pics of non massive setups would be good!

I'm beginning to sound like a desperate pimp now, but you're welcome to the tiny 14" (possibly smaller) Bush TV I got, if you're not after a PVM.

If you're interested I can crack it out and take some photos? It'd be yours for the cost of postage.

1 hour ago, vanronk said:

So much space though aren't they! Has anyone found a small solution for this, I did see some trim looking crt monitor setups but seems a minefield to get something decent.

I've got the itch to get one as it's annoying seeing an incredibly awful n64 picture

that's the N64 on ANY display though... :coffee:

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Treble said:

I'm beginning to sound like a desperate pimp now, but you're welcome to the tiny 14" (possibly smaller) Bush TV I got, if you're not after a PVM.

If you're interested I can crack it out and take some photos? It'd be yours for the cost of postage.

Very kind offer, are you upgrading?  No idea what postage is on such things

No, I got given it by a workmate as he knows I'm into retro and even though I don't rock the old tech these days, I still wanted it rescued from tip oblivion :D

Postage would be about a tenner, maybe a little bit more. It's got a decent (full) RGB display via SCART. I'll grab some pics for you.

1 hour ago, vanronk said:

I've moved house, so am in the process of setting up an office/studio space that also doubles as a retro gaming console graveyard.

This is WIP as the cable management needs sorting. 

Setup.JPG.b669e94d809b36d85ccd52d56bf6fd1f.JPG

It's not what you would call "small" though, as that PVM is 20" and the HDTV about 42" I think. 

• Upvote 1

Here's my CRT. 

As low resolutions and interlaced video don't play well with the refresh rates of modern digital cameras, you'll just have to trust me when I say this looks even better in person. 

So here we are, Halo 4 on an old telly! And it acquits itself rather well, considering. I'd have preferred to show a retro game on this, but the 360 is the only console I have left with a scart lead! 

DSC_1946_1539203993304.thumb.jpg.f3cfa84063462d7e895f1643538458fc.jpgDSC_1948_1539204019904.thumb.jpg.89269d793241fefd613dc6b78bfab432.jpg

That green band doesn't show in real life. Again, the questionable magic of unsynchronised refresh rates! 

• Upvote 1