IGNORED

Any CRT fans on the forum? Monitors, broadcast, tvs

dvdx2

16 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

I may have just won an auction for a cheap alba 14” crt. Can’t complain for £5.99 collected. 

Hopefully it's one with an almighty amount of curvature in tube - all the corners and a really bulbous front. Just to get that 80s home micro experience!!😁

1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

“Cheap PVM”, eh? 😁

I let a BVM-1454D slip through my fingers a couple of weeks before Christmas. The seller bit the other guy’s hand off for €50. 😑

It’s the same model I have stowed away in a flight case while it awaits a power board replacement. One day…

• 2 weeks later...

My adventures in CRT land....

Finally got my monitors setup as I'd like them.

I've got a Sony BVM connected to various consoles through an active SCART switcher, most set to RGB with the PS2 set to YUV component so the DVD player output works correctly. The 3DO and N64 have to fight over the solitary SVHS connector.

The JVC DT-V1710CG I'm using to display a PS3 and a XBOX360 at 720p. I wanted to keep the picture quality a high as possible so decided on keeping the video digital and letting the JVC's higher quality DtoA handle the rest, the XBOX was simple, but the PS3 caused a bit of a problem with its constantly enabled HDCP. In the end I used a HDMI splitter that had the side effect of stripped off the HDCP, then just a simple HDMI to SDI converter and onto the JVC's SDI input. The picture quality is amazing, games like Daytona have never looked better, couldn't be happier. 😀

I could connect the PS2 and original XBOX to the JVC and experience the small number of progressive resolution games, if I spent £50 on a component plug in card, but I don't think I'll bother. They look really good on the Sony and the scan lines bring back happy memories.

IMG_20220117_203314.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, acidbearboy said:

70FB5523-C1AA-461B-AF44-B7618C14DA66.thumb.jpeg.dc43b8bb5535540f620aa37af92f4ab9.jpegA6FFF6AF-99C4-4F7A-9A97-1568594E325F.thumb.jpeg.c6f2f8729a070e2c51322dfe24cc5f37.jpeg

Found these in a drawer. The TVs are long gone. The large remote is two sided. One side with all the little buttons - maybe for vcr or teletext controls? - is pretty worn, but the basic controls are in good shape. There’s a small crack in the battery cover.  The smaller remote is in good shape. Both untested, obviously. But they used to work fine. 

£10 posted. 

Just added these to the trading folder if anybody here is interested?

My £5.99 crt doesn’t work right. Maybe it was the few weeks in the garage that did it in but it comes in then starts displaying setting menus in some foreign language (not recognised) and then cycles various channels. 

Back to eBay to find another. 

Here are my little babies. Both 4:3. Both with RGB SCART. The 21"Panasonic on the right is smaller and I have it perma-rotated for TATE shmups.

I have a powered SCART switch plugged into the bigger 25" Samsung for traditional gaming.

Gamecube, Saturn, PS1+2, N64 (modded), Dreamcast, SNES, MD all hooked up with RGB SCART. Have a dedicated 360 with RGB SCART for shmups too.

:)

The 2600 woody is still RF but I run that through an old VCR which has a better tuner than the Samsung and feed that in using composite cables.

crts.jpg

4 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

My £5.99 crt doesn’t work right. Maybe it was the few weeks in the garage that did it in but it comes in then starts displaying setting menus in some foreign language (not recognised) and then cycles various channels. 

Back to eBay to find another. 

Don't chuck it out, I need a willing patient for me to transform into a franken-vector monitor (or kill myself trying) :)

1 hour ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Part ex on your trinitron then? The tube works, I think it’s something gone bad with its software. 

Which bit of bucks are you in? Trying to work out the driving times from Hampshire. 

Should be alright then as I'll be replacing the deflection board.. sure I could knock a fiver off lol. PMd

I need some advice / help.

I've picked up a Sony BVM 20G1E and would like to run MAME (via PC) on it.

I have a PC, a VGA to 4 BNC (and a 5 BNC) cable and now I'm stumped.

I need the signal to be 15khz? What device would be best to get this running?

Thanks

12 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

CRT EmuDriver if you have the right kind of AMD card will let you output a 15KHz signal.

I've seen a list of AMD cards, but I've no idea which would be a good choice and it would also need to be low profile.

At the moment I'm without the right kind of AMD card. Are there any other options?

10 minutes ago, MikeJ said:

If you want to play old games on a CRT via a PC your best bet is probably to sell the BVM and buy a probably much-cheaper VGA CRT monitor.

It wouldn’t just be a PC. I have a stack of boxed up consoles that I’d like to get working on it too. 
It’s more of a project to tinker on.