IGNORED

Any CRT fans on the forum? Monitors, broadcast, tvs

dvdx2

The generations of consoles you're trying out on a CRT are definitely from an awkward period of time when it comes to output resolutions as opposed to what I'd consider the general experience.

Not much you can do without spending money on analogue to digital converters and tbh, most of them do a crap job of deinterlacing 480i.

• 3 weeks later...

We've been spending more time on the Wii and we're getting (re)used to the CRT image, it soon becomes something you stop thinking about and just enjoy the console. My son still hears a high pitched noise though, but this is literally the first CRT he's sat in front of so maybe TVs just did this and we were all used to it. Obviously, old man Stu can't hear it.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, bignige said:

I’m looking at buying a PVM min 17inch. Where’s the best place to start looking? Are there any dedicated forums?

Anyone selling on here? 

I can’t offer much help, but I’d say it would be better to look for a good consumer CRT.  A 20” PVM is going to cost a lot of money.

48 minutes ago, bignige said:

Any advice on brands/model and where to look (other than eBay)?

Facebook Market place is always worth a look. Sony Trinitrons are excellent but you might have trouble finding one that size that isn’t a widescreen model.

On 28/12/2021 at 14:45, bignige said:

I’m looking at buying a PVM min 17inch. Where’s the best place to start looking? Are there any dedicated forums?

Anyone selling on here? 

Jvc have a range of pro crt monitors, starting at 17” , other wise the next 4:3 size up is 20”. Look out for Sony, Ikegami, and jvc at this size and I think barco too, but these are very hard to find. 14” pvms are easier to find an look great too, but you need to sit a bit closer. If you are  you are in NI, I always have a few for sale.

Decided to start looking for a CRT for my flat seeing how taking the one from my family home is a no go due to size.
There are plenty of good CRTs out there on marketplace and the like but finding a small one I can easily pick up and move around is proving to be more of a challenge.

I'm not after a top tier or anything, just a regular CRT to replace the two small ones I had which were unfortunately thrown out a while ago without my knowledge. I don't think I've seen a CRT in a shop in over 2 years now when they used to pop up in charity shops quite often. Makes me wonder if we are on the verge of crt's becoming an in-demand item which you really have to look hard for? In that case casual retro gaming as we know it will pretty much die and become reliant entirely on emulation and ports due to the lack of CRT TV's.

15 minutes ago, Mr Monday said:

I know this is sacrilege in the CRT topic, but I’m using a MiSTer on an old 4:3 LCD flat panel and with the shadow masks it can look pretty close to a CRT.  I don’t know if my photos will do it justice.

83B20B82-1A28-485F-8702-C33CCEBF5C86.jpeg

A5A320D0-68A7-4E83-AC1D-87F852285DC7.jpeg

I did think about doing this. I have a couple

of 4:3 17inch LCD’s, but was wanting the authentic experience. 

Does it stack up pretty close to a CRT? 

My MiSTer isn’t due to arrive for a few more weeks. 

1 hour ago, bignige said:

I did think about doing this. I have a couple

of 4:3 17inch LCD’s, but was wanting the authentic experience. 

Does it stack up pretty close to a CRT? 

My MiSTer isn’t due to arrive for a few more weeks. 

For me it’s close enough.  You have to configure the MiSTer to output the native resolution of the monitor for it to look it’s best, which in my case is 1600 x 1200.  Also it can be rotated really easily which is more than can be said for CRTs :)

But I guess it depends how authentic you want to go.

Using an lcd with fake scanlines won’t come anywhere close to a good consumer crt. Furthermore, it’s light years behind the image quality, colour reproduction and motion of a good pvm/bvm. Believe me I have tried them all over the years!

44 minutes ago, dvdx2 said:

Using an lcd with fake scanlines won’t come anywhere close to a good consumer crt. Furthermore, it’s light years behind the image quality, colour reproduction and motion of a good pvm/bvm. Believe me I have tried them all over the years!

Do you have any opinions on this PVM?

JVC TM-H150CG. 

12 hours ago, dvdx2 said:

Jvc have a range of pro crt monitors, starting at 17” , other wise the next 4:3 size up is 20”. Look out for Sony, Ikegami, and jvc at this size and I think barco too, but these are very hard to find. 14” pvms are easier to find an look great too, but you need to sit a bit closer. If you are  you are in NI, I always have a few for sale.

No option for courtier?

Just out of interest do you have anything available at the moment? 

Thanks. 

On 30/12/2021 at 13:20, Mr Monday said:

I know this is sacrilege in the CRT topic, but I’m using a MiSTer on an old 4:3 LCD flat panel and with the shadow masks it can look pretty close to a CRT.  I don’t know if my photos will do it justice.

83B20B82-1A28-485F-8702-C33CCEBF5C86.jpeg

A5A320D0-68A7-4E83-AC1D-87F852285DC7.jpeg

This would look astonishing if those lines were properly scaled. They seem to be slicing through your vertical pixels, which would absolutely not happen on a CRT. 

Can you tweak it a bit? I think you need a darkened line every fourth pixel, not every third like how you currently have it.

1 hour ago, Fallows said:

This would look astonishing if those lines were properly scaled. They seem to be slicing through your vertical pixels, which would absolutely not happen on a CRT. 

Can you tweak it a bit? I think you need a darkened line every fourth pixel, not every third like how you currently have it.

I think it’s because I’m using a 1600x1200 monitor and I bet the shadow mask is designed for 1080p.