Any CRT fans on the forum? Monitors, broadcast, tvs

dvdx2

51 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

Adjusting the geometry of low end Ikegami monitors is an interesting experience. There are potentiometers dotted all over two boards, with some of the more useful controls like horizontal phase and vertical linearity on the side. 

Still, I'm happy with how it looks now. It's an amazing monitor, especially for €65.

I've totally got the PVM bug now though. I don't think my life will be compete until I have a 20" model. 

IMG_7490.thumb.jpeg.56a88a28bc03a6ca0c6406d2a4a5b853.jpeg

I love opening up CRTs. Make sure you wedgie the tube with a glasses cloth and some IPA - clear out all that black soot!

The next step for me is to finally grow the bollocks for a re-cap. I might even pick up a dead PVM to practice on first.

The Ikegami had a couple of leaky caps that I replaced. They weren't causing problems, but they'd corrode other components eventually.

I just hate doing adjustments with the thing on, the precautions are muscle memory for me, but we have a small baby at the moment so this is when accidents happen!

Have you been having the problems or noticed leaky caps? Or is this preventative maintenance?

16 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

Have you been having the problems or noticed leaky caps? Or is this preventative maintenance?

Its a long story, but I'm basically just familiarising myself with the components so that I'm more comfortable with eventually performing an inevitable recap. The transformer block on my BVM PSU board blew a few years ago, so I'm doing my best to keep this PVM going for as long as possible. When I browse the CRT sub-reddits everyone seems to be an electronics whizz - like it's some prerequisite for BVM/PVM ownership.

There are some very minor linearity issues with it which are only noticeable when playing a game that scrolls. Overall I'd give it a 9/10 in terms of PQ, so there's no need to take a soldering iron to it quite yet. I could just transplant the PSU board into the BVM where the PQ is a clear 10 - but I'm holding off from doing that for now. I'm still desperately trying to find a broken BVM-14M4 to act as a potential donor without having to butcher a perfectly fine PVM. My son might want it one day.

Luckily, my accountant's husband fixes and maintains X-ray machines for hospitals and is basically a real life Dr. Emmett Brown. If I get stuck I can just throw a bottle of single malt in his direction for some help. I should have passed him the blown PSU board as after looking over the schematics for about two seconds he seemed confident he could've replaced the otherwise proprietary transformer block. F knows what happened to it, I lost it when we moved house.

Come to think of it I have the connections to fabricate a new board entirely from scratch. I guess that would cost me a fortune, though.

7 hours ago, Droo said:

I know a lot of engineers who look after X-ray tubes who would not have a baldy about a PVM. So, maybe just check with him before you buy that whiskey!

Yeah man, he's looked at the unit and the board schematics. Piece of piss he says.

On 26/08/2021 at 09:30, Colonel Panic said:

If we didn’t have a new baby and there wasn’t a pandemic, I’d be up the M1 to Belfast just like that to take some CRTs off your hands. That JVC in particular… Hnnnggg!

No worries at all; usually always have something crt related for sale - I might be selling a BVM 20F1E soonish too

Not sure if anyone can help in here but I thought this is probably the best thread to try.

I have a BAS upright cab with a CRT but the monitor will no longer display a image, I either get lines down one side or an image that's crushed. I'm useless with this type of stuff so just wondered if anyone knows someone in the Suffolk area that does repairs. I really don't want to replace the screen with anything other than a CRT but I'm just drawing a blank on someone to take a look.

Thanks

Sounds like horizontal or vertical collapse. It should be repairable, although I’d take it to someone who knew what they were doing. Do you know what monitor it is? My guess would be a Hantarex of some sort, most Hantarex monitors are still easy to get parts for. If you’re not on UKVAC I’d sign up there and seek out a fellow called Grant who has the handle Gunblade. He’s been an arcade monitor repairman for decades, if I had issues with mine I’d use him without a doubt.

1 hour ago, phillv85 said:

Sounds like horizontal or vertical collapse. It should be repairable, although I’d take it to someone who knew what they were doing. Do you know what monitor it is? My guess would be a Hantarex of some sort, most Hantarex monitors are still easy to get parts for. If you’re not on UKVAC I’d sign up there and seek out a fellow called Grant who has the handle Gunblade. He’s been an arcade monitor repairman for decades, if I had issues with mine I’d use him without a doubt.

Many thanks, not sure what the monitor is but I can take a look this afternoon.

Not on UKVAC at the moment but will certainly give that a try.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

Sweet! The remote flips it into RGB mode where the cable would not?

You need a remote to configure the 2 AV sockets and also to select them. It doesn't auto switch using scart signal from the cable, and there are no physical buttons to do any of this on a B&O telly.

• 2 weeks later...

Help needed! Bought a very nice Sony Kv14m1u, 14" portable. Picture was very off centre, so I found the service manual and accessed the right mode. 

Now, I tried adjusting the HCentre value in the menu but the options are in red and locked out. I entered the command to reset the geometry, and it helped a lot... but it's stuck the RED HWB to 42,with BLUE and GREEN only on 10 so the image is overly red. 

Anyone got experience unlocking the option to change these values? I read someone saying that if the signal is 60hz you can't adjust it, but I was trying with NTSC disabled and no signal. Does it need a 50hz signal piped-in to calibrate maybe? 

EDIT: think that might be it. Manual says don't attempt it it 60hz or with an 'unlocked' signal. Now to find something that'll actually spit-out 50hz...

EDIT 2: yep, done. It needs to be fed a 50hz signal. The only thing I have that can (relatively easily) do 50 is my PSOne. And even then, its an NTSC machine that luckily happens to be chipped. And the only 50hz disc I have left is pretty much the one that started it all :)

DSC_0414_1633374472048.thumb.jpg.6cefe6e09ff1a7f59f64e88fdc8c2c5b.jpg

You can burn a copy of the 240p Test Suite on PS1 and sort all your calibration and geometry out with that. I also have one of those Sony TVs and you can flip between 50 and 60hz, adjusting as you go, to get around the weird requirement to be in 50hz to change anything.

On 27/02/2021 at 22:16, Spoonman said:

just saved this beautiful monitor from the trash, playing DC on VGA CRT for the first time in 15+ years. It’s amazing. 

SgnzZOj.jpg

On 03/03/2021 at 10:29, Spoonman said:

Thanks! I was stoked. It even came boxed! I think I'll discard the box though as it's bloody huge. Come moving time I might want it back, I guess 😕

Wow, thanks! Will check that out. EDIT: really interesting stuff! Seems half of that is not sold here (Germany) and I still have some more research to do. However, I would *love* to play my Saturn on this CRT.

@Spoonman @Spoonman2

Have you managed to get anything else connected to you Sony CPD-E400 monitor? I've found one for sale not too far from me, but I didn't realise its only input was a captive VGA cable, which has kind of put me off a bit as I have more RGB Scart consoles than VGA.

@acidbearboyweird, I didn’t know there was a second Spoonman. Close to God, and all that.

Anyway, yeah. What do you want to hook up to it? I actually mostly use(d) it for DC through VGA, but using a GBS-control you can hook up basically anything to it. There are some HDMI-VGA adaptors that are also decent enough, so if you know what you want to link up, let me know and I can recommend something.

Ha, Spoonman2 came up as a suggestion so I tagged them too in case you'd had to change your username for some reason.

I currently have a 14" Philips CM8833, which I use exclusively for retro consoles via RGB Scart - SNES, Saturn, PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Wii. The CPD-E400 would be a nice upgrade in both size and appearance, assuming I can connect the same consoles to it. Anything more modern with a HDMI cable I will play on our main TV. Although I think I have a VGA cable for the Xbox 360, some games on which would look nice on a CRT monitor I'm sure.

So we just blew the dust off an old 27" trinitron, which hasn't been used in a decade, and... my god, CRTs are now hard to look at. I mean, don't get me wrong, a few minutes after firing up Wii Sports and pretending I'm slugging home runs like Yadier Molina, I'd totally forgotten about it, but the initial shimmering picture was something to behold. Almost headache inducing.

Think it'll just take some getting used to again, but definitely the right way to experience the Wii and PS2 slim which we've got hooked up. 360 Slim next to it an an old LCD and the little retro station in the basement is go. Now time to find an svideo cable for either machine, as one of the AV ports has one.

On 14/10/2021 at 06:40, Colonel Panic said:

Is the shimmering the dot crawl you see from composite? I mean no CRT I own gives me a headache. 

Nah, the image is rock solid. I think @MikeJ hit the nail on the head, just literally not used to staring at an interlaced image. Alas, it doesn't have SCART, I don't even know if that's a thing in yank land. S-video is my best option, I didn't notice component. Just a huge bank of yellow/white/red on the back.

I spend 8 hours a day staring at a Dell P-series monitor, I think it's just mentally going back in time. One thing I did notice is that the speakers are hilariously better than any of my LCDs.