rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
mansizerooster

Has real life ever killed a game for you?

Has anything happening in your life ever tainted a game for you? Are you unable to revisit a game without it bringing up unpleasant memories that you'd rather avoid?

Final Fantasy VIII brings back a bad time in my life when I was dealing with depression. I've been unable to play Metal Gear Solid 4 because it reminds me of the time when my granddad died. And I think Last Guardian has been tainted for me due to starting it whilst dealing with my mum behaving in a very ugly way towards my girlfriend.

• Upvote 6

For me, world of Warcraft is a game I play because I enjoy it, but also my sanctuary when I'm having a rough day/week. It has gotten to the point numerous times in the past where I'd just hide myself in that world, effectively burying my head in digital sand, to avoid dealing with real world stuff and therefore certain areas or parts of the game bring back memories of that. 

On the other hand, some parts bring back wonderful memories that cheer me right up. 

• Upvote 2

Skyward Sword. Came out during the final few months of my mum's life. I moved back home to be with her and played through that while I was there. Wasn't a bad game, but now all I can think about is how I could've spent more time with my mum instead of playing that piece of shit. Almost ruined Zelda as a whole for me.

• Upvote 7

21 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

For me, world of Warcraft is a game I play because I enjoy it, but also my sanctuary when I'm having a rough day/week. It has gotten to the point numerous times in the past where I'd just hide myself in that world, effectively burying my head in digital sand, to avoid dealing with real world stuff and therefore certain areas or parts of the game bring back memories of that. 

On the other hand, some parts bring back wonderful memories that cheer me right up. 

This is true for me too. In fact, World of Warcraft played a significant part in the breakup of my previous relationship, but some of my best gaming memories are from playing WoW. Not to mention the people I've met, some of which I still keep in contact with and consider friends. You included :)

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Trigg said:

This is true for me too. In fact, World of Warcraft played a significant part in the breakup of my previous relationship, but some of my best gaming memories are from playing WoW. Not to mention the people I've met, some of which I still keep in contact with and consider friends. You included :)

Aww, you big softy :wub:

Street Fighter IV. It was released 3 days before my son was supposed to be born, but the little shit decided to get out earlier. Cue myself trying to enjoy my first session of SFIV as there was absolutely nothing I could do but wait while my wife was having contractions. That mixture of impending fear, feeling useless and anticipation kind of ruined the game for me, I never went back to it afterwards.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Luseth said:

I think the opposite for me. I don't talk about it to people but I was bullied a fair amount at secondary school in the latter years. So coming home to jump into the worlds of Final Fantasy for me were a god send. Jumping into other worlds and becoming the hero and not having to worry about what happens in the real world ^_^ Gaming has always been a getaway from the real 'boring' world. 

I've never associated video games with a "bad" event in my life though in that they would remind me of the hurt so to speak.

This is too eerily similar to my childhood, except I used comic books as my escape. However, like you it does remind me of the past from time to time.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Wroth said:

Skyward Sword. Came out during the final few months of my mum's life. I moved back home to be with her and played through that while I was there. Wasn't a bad game, but now all I can think about is how I could've spent more time with my mum instead of playing that piece of shit. Almost ruined Zelda as a whole for me.

Also similar, mom had pancraetic cancer and I was the main carer for her at home. While she was resting I used to boot up the PC to play Dead Space 2, I never did complete it but it always reminded me of that time at home with me and her alone.

• Upvote 3

I remember once when I was younger we rented Sensi on the Mega Drive for the weekend, and I had terrible stomach issues but played through them regardless as I knew we only had it for a couple of days. Didn't want to play it again for a while after that due to the association.

When I was about 18 I went through a period of about 4 weeks when my default thought was about the fact that one day I would die. Literally, every second of everyday for weeks I was thinking about death. I started playing Doom on the N64 about the same time. 

I've never played it since and any time it gets mentioned I'm mentally transported back to that point in my life.

• Upvote 1

Many years ago a dog bit me in my leg. Could not play Resident Evil 1 for a brief while because of that.

3 hours ago, Trigg said:

Aww, you're making me blush.

• Upvote 1

Can't ever go back to World of Warcraft since my best mate passed away :( 

We played it together since the original BETA... far too many memories. 

• Upvote 3

The Witcher 2

i didn't like it anyway to be honest. It was the final nail on the 360 era coffin. I was tired of games at the time because they hadn't really moved on in 5 years and got so trendy all of a sudden.

i had flu the week it turned up. Full blown real, cant do anything ,flu. I was off sick playing some Witcher so not only is it a boring ,ugly ,uninspired piece of medieval European trash but it reminds me of feeling like dogshit for 10 days

• Downvote 7

Diablo 3.

Played it on PC launch day for a night, caught the norovirus and was bed ridden for the next week. Ugh. Not played it since. 

2 minutes ago, mansizerooster said:

Sorry for the total downer thread guys lol

You should feel bad, we are all in tears now reliving terrible memories... ^_^ 

Figures! cue my title: Super Mario Galaxy 2

Bought it while I was dating a lovely girl who turned out to be batshit crazy, crushed me mentally unlike anyone else and scarred my self-esteem for a long time. I never actually got around to playing the game at the time, so I kept it in the seal, where it stayed like that for about 5 years.

I don't know why exactly, but at some point (about 2 years) ago I decided to give it a try. Played a handful of levels, didn't really like it and never went back.

Maybe I should, as many keep calling it one of the best games of all time. (Although I have a hard time believing it'd be better than the first installment.)

• Upvote 1

1) Was playing zak and wiki on my Wii when my dad died. Haven't played it since.

2) stopped playing Pokemon go after my mate died in a car crash after allegedly playing Pokemon go in his car.  I have loaded it up a few times since but lost all interest. 

• Upvote 3

Animal Crossing.

When I was living in Japan I had serious side effects to some medication I was on that lasted weeks. It also coincided with the break up of a two year relationship due to me moving overseas. 

Thousands of miles away from friends and family, lonely and very ill on my 30th birthday and no pressies.

Animal Crossing wished me a happy birthday.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Thousands of miles away from friends and family, lonely and very ill on my 30th birthday and no pressies.

Not that bad. At home without people bothering you, under a warm blanket playing some good gam... 

9 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Animal Crossing wished me a happy birthday.

Ooww. I am so sorry.

I'm another in the 'kinda the opposite' camp. In 2010 I'd just been signed off work with severe depression, which just made me feel worse, and I just felt I couldn't face life at all at this point. 

Red Dead Redemption came out that week so I picked it up, hoping it would give me something to keep myself a little busy with at least. It transpired that I completely lost myself in the world (in a good way) and provided an incredible escape to the virtual landscape of the Wild West. I would often just ride around on horseback, watching the sunset and feeling an odd sense of peace. 

Fast forward 7 years and my life is in a much better place, the depression long behind me, but I do occasionally dip back into the world and still feel that calming feeling.

i can't wait for the sequel, entering the game world so I can enjoy it with a smile, knowing life turned around for me :) 

• Upvote 6

I have to say World of WarCraft. Me and a couple of friends were literally there day one and for a year we were having the most amazing time. The second year they became more serious about it, spending huge amounts of time in Azeroth. I was quite the opposite. I liked meeting up and doing quests and having fun, didn't give a damn about blues and greens and purples and raids... The more they played the more difficult it became for us to meet even for a beer. They developed problems with their work as well as personal issues. It was quite upsetting and essentially killed the game for me. After some time most of them snapped out of it, thank God. Most of them.

As for my positive note, videogames have helped me to cope with very difficult personal shit, so, generally, they kick ass. :P

• Upvote 2

Like a few others here I have a game that helped me cope with something bad and that was with my mums death due to breast cancer with the game being Battlefield Bad Company 2 on the 360.  After she died I was completely numb and could barely function, that whole period was just a daze tbh.  But what I do remember is Bad Company 2 coming out around that time and that essentially distracted me and helped me cope with the pain, especially as I was playing with some good friends who I still play some games with now.  In between bouts of crying my eyes out I would be blowing up the walls of buildings in Arica Harbour, quickly putting C4 on the bottom of the mcom building and blowing up the enemy inside collapsing the building, never failed to amuse :lol:

I did go on to have a complete breakdown/major depression 2 - 3 years later but that's a different story, I will always love Bad Company 2 for really helping me during that period and it still remains my most played Battlefield game.  (still has the best destruction too, or at least most fun)

• Upvote 4

Not yet and I really hope it never does.

I do have one mega association of playing Final Fantasy X again whilst my mum was, well, I can't even say going through her cancer treatment because she only had one cycle of chemo before she died. Like many it's a bit of a blur in and around it but in those lonely times at home off I went to Spira. That was only a couple of years ago. I can't believe it's been two years.

I would say since then I got back "into" games again no doubt for the escapism, finally dropped WoW although went through phases, and ultimately happened upon my Xbox Friends who have brought me much joy in times of darkness :-)

• Upvote 2

I went through a rough divorce around the time Final Fantasy XIII came out. It was a shit game anyway, so I don't feel like I miss much associating it with bad memories.