Jump to content

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny - James Mangold Directing - Summer 2023


Stigweard
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Goose changed the title to Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny - James Mangold Directing - Summer 2023

The "de-aging" could be ok, it's really going to be what it's like in motion that makes or breaks it. It's all good having Indy tied to a chair, but what about when a 1 million year old Harrison throws a punch? There are some aspects of getting old you just can't CGI, and the effects on movement are one of them.

 

That said; this looks cracking. That said: Crystal Skull cut a good trailer too.

 

Cautiously optimistic. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

120 year old Ford still chucks a punch better than practically anyone in the business. He’s always been Hollywoods Greatest Puncher.  Clint Eastwood second.

 

the reason is that Indy fights erratically, constantly on the edge of defeat and often getting out of scrapes through sheer luck and HF does that so convincingly- even in Crystal Skull.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, scottcr said:

120 year old Ford still chucks a punch better than practically anyone in the business. He’s always been Hollywoods Greatest Puncher.

 

 

And punch taker. Nobody gives out or takes a movie kicking like Harrison Ford. Some of the fights in the first three films are still wince inducing at times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Poor de aging when Ford is on the horse but I guess all that will be worked on until release. I think Mangold's directing of chase scenes in Knight And Day was as well shot and real of any modern action film, oblivious use of cgi, but here it does seem noticeable. But again..early. 

 

By far the best de aging I've seen was in Terminator Dark Fate, I haven't looked at the studio responsible compared to others, I've come to assume it was just so brief that's why it worked well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

 

And punch taker. Nobody gives out or takes a movie kicking like Harrison Ford. Some of the fights in the first three films are still wince inducing at times.

 

absolutely - proper street brawler, and always looking for a quick escape.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

The "de-aging" could be ok, it's really going to be what it's like in motion that makes or breaks it. It's all good having Indy tied to a chair, but what about when a 1 million year old Harrison throws a punch? There are some aspects of getting old you just can't CGI, and the effects on movement are one of them.

 

I don't know why they don't get another actor to do the movement, maybe that's harder, maybe they do do that sometimes. The Irishman is obviously the worst example of stiffness and looking like a videogame. Also, they don't actually look young, just less old. 

 

Ford has distinctive punch throwing for sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apart from the de-aged Ford in the flashbacks and the underwater eels I can't see that much which is obviously CG. One thing I've learned from watching so many Corridor Crew videos is that modern stunt and camera work is so smooth and fancy that it often ends up looking CG.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

Poor de aging when Ford is on the horse but I guess all that will be worked on until release. I think Mangold's directing of chase scenes in Knight And Day was as well shot and real of any modern action film, oblivious use of cgi, but here it does seem noticeable. But again..early. 

 

By far the best de aging I've seen was in Terminator Dark Fate, I haven't looked at the studio responsible compared to others, I've come to assume it was just so brief that's why it worked well.

 

I thought the shot of Indy sitting oo the chair, obviously captured by the Nazi's looked amazing 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would have been a good script writer for this;

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indy's (IndianaJones) hat falls off as he slides under a closing doorway.

 

Woman "Are you gonna get that?"

Indy (Indiana Jones) "Nah, too old for that shit, I'll buy another"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I liked the look of that a lot, but without the proper version of the score then it missed the mark a little bit and I'm also not allowing myself to get too excited about it as I'm day 1, but I'll be gutted if it is really shit.

 

But the final scene in the trailer drew a smile so it is already better than the one that must not be named.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

 

Edit - Seriously though it’s got Mads in it so I’m in day one.

 

Yeah exactly. A mad Nazi commandant-scientist-cultist in an Indiana Jones film is the role he was born to play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/12/2022 at 11:23, Loik V credern said:

By far the best de aging I've seen was in Terminator Dark Fate, I haven't looked at the studio responsible compared to others, I've come to assume it was just so brief that's why it worked well.

 

Miller talked about Dark Fate on Corridor Crew and how they did benefit hugely from it not have dialogue.  Think those were ILM shots.

 

This is what Disney research have been up to on ML aging/deaging for the curious.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Poor de aging when Ford is on the horse but I guess all that will be worked on until release. 

 

That's not just de-aging, it's a face swap. Harrison's stunt double stood in for him when they were filming in Glasgow. Reports at the time said Harrison wasn't on set because he was recovering from a shoulder injury. 

45487173-9795217-Getting_into_character_Harrison_Ford_s_body_double_was_seen_on_h-a-107_1626462528606.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.