Indiana Jones 5 - Spielberg No Longer Directing!

7 hours ago, probotector said:

No way.

I remember in the cinema at the end when he picked up indy’s hat, there was a large collective groan in the cinema followed by a cheer when it was snatched from him. 

I don't mean AS Indy, but his character was good.

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

I seem to remember his character being widely disliked at the time.

Just because LaBoeuf was over saturated at the time. He was good in the film, yes really.

4 hours ago, Festoon said:

Just because LaBoeuf was over saturated at the time. He was good in the film, yes really.

Totally agree, Shia was excellent in the role.

22 hours ago, James Lyon said:

Shia's waiting by his phone.

Remember when everyone said Chris Pratt would make a great Indy?

Chris Pratt would make a good Indy.

I’m trying to wrap my head around the idea of making a new one of these movies given all the logistical and creative challenges involved. You’ve got to set it in an era where the character no longer makes sense, the lead actor no longer can play the role the same way, and the last time they did one of these, when it was already a stretch, everyone decided that they shouldn’t have bothered.

All I can come up with is some ancient exec who is absolutely furious about the Uncharted movie stepping on “their IP” and insisting on showing that it still has legs.

16 hours ago, Steve McQueef said:

You cannot hide an old man behind a younger man's face. 

See: The Irishman. 

Or the start of Guardians 2. I though that was brilliantly done. 

Or in an old woman's case, Sarah Conner at the start of Dark Fate

Or X-Whatever in Logan.

An Indy film would use ILM, like Star Wars and The Irishman though. Deaging is one thing they are really behind the curve on.

Also there's no hiding Ford's old man waddle.

Couldn't they just do a photorealistic CGI Ford, fully motion captured by a young agile stunt actor (for the action scenes) and then get in a Harrison Ford impersonator for facial mo-cap (for the acting scenes/facial mannerisms,etc) and then just get Ford in (or over the phone) to do the voice (and then digitally de-age the voice in post-process)?

Easy-peasy.

Best Actor Oscar for Ford in 2022.

It's not just that the lead is too old, the creators are too old, the particular era it was set in is used up, and the long awaited reboot was a failure on every level - it's that the concept of an American jotting across the world to steal indigenous and religous artifacts and put them in a museum in New Jersey is not just dated but actually offensive now. Indiana Jones should be left in the ground.

They could do a Sam Jackson for a whole film because fundamentally his face isn't drastically different and the time jump is less significant. De-aging Sarah Connor was very impressive, but it's a very short bit overall, just like young Arnie. That quality would cost a lot through a whole movie!

As The Irishman showed, it doesn't matter how good your face de-aging tech is if your leading man is still shuffling round like a pensioner with a gammy hip.

I know I've already referenced, but I'm going to post the video of 'young' Robert DeNiro engaged in physical activity because it's always worth a lol.

Well, that's put me right off ever watching The Irishman.

You could still maybe pull off an Indy film where he's trying to prevent an artifact falling into the wrong hands (uh, like the first three films) but one where the artifact gets destroyed or lost without trace (the third film). Or maybe it's possible to make such a film that manages to discuss cultural theft sensibly. Lol, who I am trying to convince here?

Also, it wasn't so much that Shia's acting was bad but that his character was badly written as a whiny dickhead and pretty much every adult who watched it thought that. At least that's what I remember, and I don't care enough to rewatch the fourth film to see if I'm wrong or not.

12 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

Also, it wasn't so much that Shia's acting was bad but that his character was badly written as a whiny dickhead and pretty much every adult who watched it thought that. At least that's what I remember, and I don't care enough to rewatch the fourth film to see if I'm wrong or not.

Obnoxious hothead, but from memory he mellows as the film goes on. But then there’s the Tarzan scene...

If it’s not directed by Spielberg and has very little to do with Lucas, is it really even Indy even with Ford?

The only person I would trust with this property is...JJ Abrahams. He’s the only one that can make a Spielberg style film.

26 minutes ago, probotector said:

If it’s not directed by Spielberg and has very little to do with Lucas, is it really even Indy even with Ford?

The only person I would trust with this property is...JJ Abrahams. He’s the only one that can make a Spielberg style film.

JJ would be incapable of directing the red line travel scenes, due to his complete lack of understanding with regards to travel time and distance.

I can only assume he falls asleep immediately whenever a plane/car/train starts to move and therefore thinks international travel is almost instant.

I'm wondering what the actual audience for this would be these days. You can market Kylo Ren and stormtroopers to kids but someone who looks like their grandad trying to hobble round looking cool? Can't see that flogging many lunchboxes.