Indiana Jones 5 - Spielberg No Longer Directing!

So the 5th installment of the Indiana Jones series has been given an official release date of July 9th 2019

According to an official statement on the Walt Disney Company’s website, the untitled fifth Indiana Jones movie will arrive on July 19, 2019 and the whole gang is getting back together. 

Harrison Ford will return as Indy, Steven Spielberg will step behind the camera once more, and Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall will produce. Here’s what you need to know from that statement:

http://www.slashfilm.com/indiana-jones-5-coming-in-2019/

-------------

Not that I think we really need another one, but if Disney are behind it rather than Lucas then at least we know they'll have some competence behind the project. Hopefully Spielberg can produce something better than Crystal Skull.

So filming almost exactly 10 years after the film in which he already looked a little bit doddering. I can see this working out well.

If they can find someone tolerable as his son, maybe something following in the footsteps of (the increasingly inaccurately named) Last Crusade could have legs. Unlike Harrison Ford.

46 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

So the 5th installment of the Indiana Jones series has been given an official release date of July 9th 2019

http://www.slashfilm.com/indiana-jones-5-coming-in-2019/

-------------

Not that I think we really need another one, but if Disney are behind it rather than Lucas then at least we know they'll have some competence behind the project. Hopefully Spielberg can produce something better than Crystal Skull.

I don't think you can blame the quality of Crystal Skull solely on Lucas. The McGuffin was his idea, but the execution of the final film falls on Spielberg, Koepp, Ford, TheBeef, etc, as well as Lucas.

3 minutes ago, K said:

I don't think you can blame the quality of Crystal Skull solely on Lucas. The McGuffin was his idea, but the execution of the final film falls on Spielberg, Koepp, Ford, TheBeef, etc, as well as Lucas.

This is true, but I feel that with Disney producing and being involved in the writing that Spielberg will actually be able to produce something good. I feel they'll put more effort into making sure it's good.

2 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

This is true, but I feel that with Disney producing and being involved in the writing that Spielberg will actually be able to produce something good. 

Maybe. The thing is, Koepp is apparently writing the new film and Lucas is exec producing, so I'm not sure what Disney's involvement will really change. I would be surprised if they exercised any significant creative or quality control over Spielberg and Lucas - it's not like they're two indie / TV directors on their first studio film.

Yeah, this was announced ages ago, although it's nice to be reminded that it's coming. Personally, I can't wait. I don't disagree that Crystal Skull was as terrible as everyone says, but that was then and this is now (well, 2019) and there's absolutely no reason why this particular group of very talented people can't put their heads together to create something just as entertaining and worthwhile as TFA and Rogue One. So what if Harrison Ford will be nearly 80? Good. The older, the better. There are a thousand stories about elderly heroes worth telling, and if they can get it right this time, then Indy's is the one I want told more than any other.

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

Why is everyone's default position on replacing people in roles to put Tom hardy in it? Next Wolverine? Tom Hardy. New Indiana Jones? Stick Tom Hardy in it. 

No. Just....Just no. 

Think that's bad, just wait until the threads in 30 years time when New Hollywood decides to remake Inception and they have to recast Tom Hardy...

July 2019 release for Indy 5? Cancel all of Ford's flight time!

5 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Why is everyone's default position on replacing people in roles to put Tom hardy in it? Next Wolverine? Tom Hardy. New Indiana Jones? Stick Tom Hardy in it. 

No. Just....Just no. 

Because he is the most watchable leading actor available by a mile ? Who is also the most versatile, and most looks the part for this role ?

He'd never be as good as Harrison in the role*, that goes without saying, but Harrison Ford is 74 years old, 75 in July77 when the film is finally out. 

*like he'd never be as good as Mel Gibson as Mad Max.

53 minutes ago, pervent aline perio grow d said:

Because he is the most watchable leading actor available by a mile ? Who is also the most versatile, and most looks the part for this role ?

I don't agree with any of this. I don't think he's particularly watchable, I think he's very one-note based on everything I've seen him in and he doesn't look anything like what I'd want a replacement to look like, personally. 

As long as it isn't Shia TheBeef, then an almost Last Crusade type affair with Indy being the older guy might work but I'd be worried it would just end up being horribly cheesy if they go down that route or just end up like Crystal Skull 2 and I'm not sure what is worse.

That fucking bit with the beef swinging through the jungles with the monkeys :facepalm: 'It's like wot his dad does, he's using teh vines like Indy swings with his rope!' Let's just ignore the fact it looked shit, didn't make geographical or physical sense and was fucking idiotic even for a series of films that had Indy hanging on to the top of a submarine as it travelled hundreds of miles underwater and so on.

Nope sorry shrew, I'm no 'edgelord' by any stretch of the imagination and I like some right old shit but Crystal Skull was bloody awful. Even the 'fun' bits weren't even that good, the aforementioned swinging through the trees that was part of what should have been 'classic' Indy car chase was just utter bollocks. Not just The Beef's when he had that oh so hilarious 'I've got one foot on each car and it's forcing me to do the splits, oh noes, some things are going to hit me in teh ballz, such lolz!'

Even Temple of Doom which Speilberg himself admits he wasn't concentrating on as much as he was chatting up his soon to be new wife is waaaaaaaaay better and I'm totally aware that them surviving falling out of a plane in an inflatable and surviving the rapids is perhaps as daft as them surviving falling off a waterfall in a huge metal jeep and being caught by a tree, so I'm not rose tinting away the similar hollywood artistic license fun bits from the other movies but it's really, genuinely, not a good film.

The mummy 1 & 2 are better 'Indy 4's' than Indy 4 is. National Treasure is almost a better Indy 4. OK, that's a slightly 'edgelord' comment, I'll grant you but it really is a bit poop.

Crystal Skull had flashes of brilliance, almost capturing the old magic, but then it was completely undermined by a lot of shit, such as the previously mentioned monkey swinging (in fact, Shia le whatsit in general was a mistake

mistake), the "show everything" ending (I personally think the aliens thing could have worked if they'd been more clever about it, I.e. not blatantly showing us that's what it was, but instead simply hinting at it and letting us come to our own conclusions), Ray Winstone's double, triple, quadruple agent and fucking "Jonesy" and, of course, the fridge fiasco. 

I mean, overall it's not a terrible film; if it had been National Treasure 3 it would have probably been seen as a fun romp, but it is a very disappointing Indy film, and that's what hurts. 

I concur.

It's not 'the worst film ever'(TM) but it's such a bad Indy film, it may as well not have really been one. The weird thing is, at the same time, if it wasn't an Indy film, the plot and storyline would have been even worse.

I'd recommend other films of that sort over Crystal Skull, without a doubt.