rllmuk
JohnC

Mindhunter - Netflix and Fincher

While I don't think he's a big focus of the season, Damon Herriman recently filmed a part as Charles Manson. This emerged just after he was cast in the same role in the latest Tarantino movie, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

My word, that is an awful trailer -  the flashing up of the rorschach test logo thing is irritating to the point of distraction.

Very much looking forward to this though as it feels like forever since the first season and that remains the best original Netflix drama I've seen. In fact, I think I'll rewatch it just to get me back up to speed.

36 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Looking forward to this. Does anyone know what case it will be based around ?

The Atlanta Child Murders...

On 31/07/2019 at 17:24, Fargo said:

Looking forward to this. Does anyone know what case it will be based around ?

BTK too presumably.

• Upvote 1

BTK’s killing spree lasted until the 90’s didn’t it? So no reason he won’t be bebackground for the next season as well, unless they’re jumping way forward in time.

On 4 August 2019 at 01:25, Chindie said:

They can't not do BTK. The first series pretty much contains his origin story for no reason.

What's BTK?

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

He's another killer. The letters meaning Bind, Torture, Kill.

6 minutes ago, sandman said:

What's BTK?

In the series, he looks like the angriest serial killer ever. 

Mindhunter-season-2-Netflix-BTK-killer-who-is-ADT-serviceman-1112659.jpg.51fb5e187afc04d0cc6b868de4807aca.jpg

Think Office Space, only with humans and not printers with PC load letter. 

Up to episode three and it's compelling as ever.  Although I'm not sure if it's something to do with my setup, but I'm finding the music really loud in the mix to the point that I'm struggling to hear dialogue in what are dialogue-centric scenes (eg, when they're looking around the house at the start of episode 2)

Yeah, this is at least as good as the fantastic first season. I've not noticed the music being intrusive but, certainly on the first three episodes, it seems to be a deliberately more menacing, unnerving, background presence than I recall from the first season. 

The likenesses of the various killers remains quite uncanny. 

9 hours ago, Mike S said:

The likenesses of the various killers remains quite uncanny. 

Quite! Although the makeup on Son of Sam was quite heavy - I had to look him up (knew the name but not much else) to see if he was some kind of killer-in-drag. 

Uncanny is right though. 

14 hours ago, sandman said:

What's BTK?

As others have said he is another serial killer that the first series showed in his early days in seemingly irrelevant scenes throughout the episodes. His thing was breaking into homes, waiting for victims (who he had observed for a long time previously) and, as the name suggests, tying them up, torturing them and then strangling them. He then would send bragging letters to police and media outlets describing the crimes. Throughout this he also lead a double life, married with kids, holding down a job, having 'pillar of the community' positions like leading church committees, etc etc.

His story is very interesting, down to the details of how it ended.

The interviews with the killers in prison remain the standout scenes in every episode they feature in for me (I watched the first 3.5 yesterday, would have watched even more if I didn't need sleep). 

Spoiler

The Son of Sam scene was excellent, with him coming clean about the demons and talking dog being made up bollocks and the one with the semi literate trucker who spoke 7 languages but kept using the wrong words was highly entertaining.

Can see me finishing the whole thing this weekend, then having to wait another 2 years before getting any more. I wish I had more self restraint. This is outstanding stuff.

Edit - . Not sure if it plays automatically at the start of S2E1 but there's a 3 minute recap of S1 if you look in the episodes and more menu. 

The recap played automatically for me, with the option to skip, which I didn't. This is still great, episode 3 was tough for me.. 

Spoiler

anything with kids fucks me up. :(

Not sure what they're doing with Wendy Carr though, so far almost everything regarding her has been about her sexuality, but clearly seen through the male gaze (lingering arse shot as she goes to the bar etc.) Would be nice to see her make a real contribution like Ford and Tench. At the moment she's just a pretty lesbian playing cheerleader on the sidelines. Anna Torv is talented and deserves better. 

15 hours ago, Treble said:

Am I the last person to realise Nancy 'Bad Wig' Tench is the dance-y girl from The Office? Please say I'm not. 

Nope, didn’t know that either.

I really quite like this programme but one thing that bugs me is how everything is pristine. I mean, there's not a speck of dust or dirt on anything. It really breaks the immersion for me. All the suits/costumes/gadgets are straight out of the poly bag props department. The vehicles are beautiful but not a scratch or dent on any of them. It just has a pristine sheen that screams made in the 21st century.

Anyway, despite that I'm looking forward to more.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

I really quite like this programme but one thing that bugs me is how everything is pristine. I mean, there's not a speck of dust or dirt on anything. It really breaks the immersion for me. All the suits/costumes/gadgets are straight out of the poly bag props department. The vehicles are beautiful but not a scratch or dent on any of them. It just has a pristine sheen that screams made in the 21st century.

Anyway, despite that I'm looking forward to more.

Funny you should say that, was thinking the samething, cause the moment I saw the only dented up car it made be realise it too.

The vehicle of a visitor to Tench's house, doesn't show anyone but thought best to spoiler tag it anyway:

Spoiler

0H3Gsoa.jpg

Only other one was Tanya's car, being old and knackered with the broken seat belt and window.