rllmuk
JohnC

Mindhunter - Netflix and Fincher

I don't mean to sound like a snob but I feel like the CGI is obvious to spot in a lot of ways; the camera movements, the focus (depth), colour grading, lighting, sharpness, etc. Fincher's directing style does make it easier to mask (purposeful and precise camera movements) but once you've 'figured it out' you can easily tell when a scene is on location or when they use green screen. The car scenes are especially jarring in that regard.

ALL THAT A-FOOKIN-SIDE this show is absolutely brilliant and is quickly becoming my favourite show on Netflix. Just finished episode 8 and Holden is such a dick! Really hope he redeems hmself by the end of the season. I think the actor (and writing) is doing a great job of adding a lot of nuance to the character. He's incredibly naive and stubborn but eager to learn and sharp as well. Even Bill seems to have an arc; going from a cold and distant father to one who tries to be more understanding and willing to open up.

I loved this line from Bill regarding one of the interviewees btw:

Spoiler

Holden: "He's black"
Bill: "Nothing gets passed you" while not even allowing him a glance. :lol:

• Downvote 2

3 hours ago, VN1X said:

I don't mean to sound like a snob but I feel like the CGI is obvious to spot in a lot of ways; the camera movements, the focus (depth), colour grading, sharpness, etc. Fincher's directing style does make it easier to mask (purposeful and precise camera movements) but once you've 'figured it out' you can easily tell when a scene is on location or when they use green screen. The car scenes are especially jarring in that regard.

Apologies if i'm pointing out the obvious, but Fincher didn't direct the travel montage. He only directed the first two (worst two) episodes.

3 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Apologies if i'm pointing out the obvious, but Fincher didn't direct the travel montage. He only directed the first two (worst two) episodes.

Fincher directed more I believe including the finale.

edit 4 according to IMDB. 

7 hours ago, VN1X said:

I don't mean to sound like a snob but I feel like the CGI is obvious to spot in a lot of ways; the camera movements, the focus (depth), colour grading, sharpness, etc. Fincher's directing style does make it easier to mask (purposeful and precise camera movements) but once you've 'figured it out' you can easily tell when a scene is on location or when they use green screen. The car scenes are especially jarring in that regard.

I thought the CGI planes were fairly obvious, but completely missed that they'd put the entire airport in.

5 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Oh yeah that's what I meant with his "style". They're aping his framing, cinematography, and pretty much all else to a tee. Not saying that as a critique though!

29 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Oh yeah that's what I meant with his "style". They're aping his framing, cinematography, and pretty much all else to a tee. Not saying that as a critique though!

Oof, Asif Kapadia would take that pretty hard if he read that.

The bit that really stood out for me in that CG video is the little detail of changing the dropped kerbs back to old style non-dropped kerbs. Most stuff, it's an obvious thing to do, but a little detail like that wouldn't even have occurred to me to need doing to make it more period appropriate.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

The bit that really stood out for me in that CG video is the little detail of changing the dropped kerbs back to old style non-dropped kerbs. Most stuff, it's an obvious thing to do, but a little detail like that wouldn't even have occurred to me to need doing to make it more period appropriate.

If they're going to that level of period detail, they ought to have added dog shit to the pavements.

• Upvote 1

Who cares about the CGI?   Its not a marvel comics movie!  What's important is the script and plot and such!     At no point during the entire ten episodes did I give a seconds thought to the special effects!      Its not supposed to be star wars!     Most people would be concentrating on the dialogue not whether the planes look computer generated!  Who cares?   Can't help but feel you kinda missed the point of the show!      Never mind!  RANT OVER, AS YOU WERE!!

• Downvote 3

24 minutes ago, Sartre84 said:

Who cares about the CGI?   Its not a marvel comics movie!  What's important is the script and plot and such!     At no point during the entire ten episodes did I give a seconds thought to the special effects!      Its not supposed to be star wars!     Most people would be concentrating on the dialogue not whether the planes look computer generated!  Who cares?   Can't help but feel you kinda missed the point of the show!      Never mind!  RANT OVER, AS YOU WERE!!

My biggest complaint was how poor the script and the plot were. Most disappointing show since Vinyl.

I'm only two episodes in and enjoying, I've not noticed any problems with the script thus far and the premise of the show has me intrigued. Edmund was brilliant and I like the two leads.

Consider me a fan.

• Upvote 1

Finished it. Wish I had not bothered really.

The plot is all over the place and ultimately goes nowhere. The constant hopping around from one murder to another is annoying and can get confusing. The acting isn’t great and it’s very shallow considering the subject matter. It’s a very average TV show.

On 15/10/2017 at 21:47, Gotters said:

I can’t imagine how much time and money went into that travel montage scene in ep2, they must be hard enough anyway, but in a period setting even more time consuming.

That was such a great montage I watched it three times. I really enjoyed this series. Thought the guy who played Tench was really good. 

On 16/10/2017 at 21:19, Danster said:

Thought this was brilliant, really tense and then it just ended.... :( If I''d known the number of episodes then I wouldn't have been so surprised.

Reveal hidden contents

Love the way that Holden got more and more twisted, "eight ripe cunts" :o How his relationships became more and more dysfunctional until  Kemper recognised him as a common soul, hence the hug and Holden's realisation that he was sinking into the very thing he was observing. Nice.

How on earth they can play the BTK Killer through the seasons, unless they jump years forward for following series with new characters, I suppose. Eventually capturing him 20 years later.  Edit: 30 years later!

On 17/10/2017 at 13:15, JohnC said:

Fincher revealed the second season will focus on the Atlanta child murders, 1979-81. They're known as child murders, though some were adults, with at least 28 victims.

RE @Danster and his spoiler. That's interesting. Perhaps it'll just be something on a very slow, long burn and end up as the climax for a third season. 

I'm glad there's going to be a season 2 @JohnC - I really enjoyed it. It's interesting that almost all of the main characters seem to actually dislike one another. It's an interesting dynamic.

I didn't realise most of these people were or are actually real people either. Kemper, in particular, is truly frightening.

220px-Kempermugshot.jpg

210px-Kemper1.jpg

On 25/10/2017 at 08:33, kerraig UK said:

Oof, Asif Kapadia would take that pretty hard if he read that.

Ep 8 wasn’t directed by Kapida but blimey did Andrew Douglas nailed the ‘Fincher’ look with the bathroom scene. 

Also: hooooooollllllly shit at that CGI video. Astonishing stuff. 

Bloody hell. Now I want to find whatever footage I can of the real Kemper and watch it. Utterly fascinating.

There was a documentary on Netflix that was an extended interview with a serial killer and I tried to watch it but turned it off - not because it was too disturbing or chilling, but because the guy just came across as obviously insane, and didn't appear to have any insight into why he'd done the things he'd done. Kemper seems to have the intelligence and self-awareness to analyse himself, and that's incredibly valuable.

3 hours ago, Sabreman said:

Bloody hell. Now I want to find whatever footage I can of the real Kemper and watch it. Utterly fascinating.

There was a documentary on Netflix that was an extended interview with a serial killer and I tried to watch it but turned it off - not because it was too disturbing or chilling, but because the guy just came across as obviously insane, and didn't appear to have any insight into why he'd done the things he'd done. Kemper seems to have the intelligence and self-awareness to analyse himself, and that's incredibly valuable.

The full interview with Kemper is on Youtube

On 14/11/2017 at 17:38, Rayn said:

The full interview with Kemper is on Youtube

I watched it yesterday after learning that these people were real. It's really disturbing as (maybe it's just me), you start feeling a bit sorry for him and I genuinely thought I'd probably enjoy an hour or two in his company over a few beers. He's very articulate and the portrayal of him on Mindhunters is very good indeed - it's bang on, even the posture.

Hey guys, after giving up halfway in episode 1 I picked up from 2 a few days ago. I've now watched the season and it's terrific. Really can't add much to what's been said, it's as compelling as True Detective's first season (maybe better) and everything fell into place for me. Holt McCallany is a rock in this show.

I'm half way through this and really struggling to stay interested. I liked the Kemper interviews, but none of the rest of the story is grabbing me. I really can't get into the story with Holden and his girlfriend at all (and definitely agree with the criticisms of the club scene).

Just finished this. Really enjoyed it. Though I didn't understand the inclusion of the scenes with Wendy and the tins of tuna at all, except perhaps that maybe someone had killed the cat suggesting a nearby serial killer in the making?