Bright - Will Smith Hunts Orcs & Elves

3 hours ago, sandman said:

Men in Black is on film 4 right now. TBH I forgot how annoying his whole act was. Has he ever been in a stone cold classic?

obv he was great in fresh prince, but a film?

He was the king of genre films for a while if that counts ? I liked Will Smith vs Aliens/Robots/Zombies etc

Also, I've not seen it for a while, but I remember him being impressive as Muhammed Ali in Michael Mann's film

It’s not very good. I don’t think it’s quite the OMG worst film of the year some reviews are making out (I’ve seen Justice League) but it’s still a dud. The premise of a Middle Earth fantasy kingdom 2000 years down the line with a modern society is a good premise (if nicked from Shadowrun). The execution here is so lazy though, orcs are literally just black gangstas with some green make-up. There’s not even really any of the fun world building you’d expect with a project like this. At one point a Mexican man moans about white people not forgiving his race for the Alamo and I just thought why would the Alamo even have taken place in this alternate world.

TL:DR Watch Alien Nation instead.

It's far from perfect but I thought it was a ton of fun.

super derivative in plot and structure. It really is just ALIEN NATION meets TRAINING DAY/END OF WATCH but Smith is great and the fantasy elements were novel enough to make it stand out.

I loved how it's photographed too. Maybe it's a taste thing, but this is a really good looking movie.

I'd love to see more movies set in this world.

Yeah, it's not a disaster, but it is very safe and lazy; the terms 'dark lord' and 'magic wand' kept bothering me through the entire film, I mean ffs guys - dress it up a bit. There was barely any attempt at world building apart from 'fairies are pests, orcs are the new black, and elves are toffs.' There was some good exposition, such as in the interview with the nutcase, but barely enough to make it feel like connective tissue between the next gunfight, let alone a solid foundation. 

The action was pretty good, but the villain felt vague and I never really fathomed her motivations beyond 'get wand back.' Her actress had a decent screen presence, though. Will Smith wasn't bad, but it's Joel Edgerton that does the heavy lifting as the orc officer Jakoby. Can't be easy to emote from under a ton of makeup, but he pulls off an interesting and vulnerable character. 

I suppose one advantage of such broad stroke world building is that there's loads of directions they could take it in further films, but tbh if they're really going to go deeper into the society/mythology then they need a better writer than Max Landis. 

I wonder if there's some counter-marketing going on with this. Today on Imgur, I must have seen five or six random posts about what a great movie this is, that we need to ignore RT scores and bad reviews. Odd because I don't recall every seeing such a thing before - not even with stuff like The Last Jedi.

10 hours ago, Goose said:

I wonder if there's some counter-marketing going on with this. Today on Imgur, I must have seen five or six random posts about what a great movie this is, that we need to ignore RT scores and bad reviews. Odd because I don't recall every seeing such a thing before - not even with stuff like The Last Jedi.

The fans vs Critics/RT thing really kicked off mainly cause of BvSM where the crazy people who thought that it was a good film were going mental that Critics reviewed it badly. Even though they were right. They then took up this crusade to belittle critics and wanted RT shut down. All rather OTT and pathetic just because some people didnt like a film. Oh and also Disney pays critics to give bad reviews or other films of course, lets not forget that gem.

Turned it off after an hour. Just mediocre, I think it's a bit arrogant believes it's trying to do something new, but it's just a film about racial tensions. Remove the fantasy element and it would have been a generic ripoff of films like end of watch and that type of mould.

I think Max Landis is just riding on the coatails of his father. He got lucky with Chronicle and that's stretching it.

8 hours ago, Zero9X said:

Turned it off after an hour. Just mediocre, I think it's a bit arrogant believes it's trying to do something new, but it's just a film about racial tensions. Remove the fantasy element and it would have been a generic ripoff of films like end of watch and that type of mould.

I think Max Landis is just riding on the coatails of his father. He got lucky with Chronicle and that's stretching it.

Bright is directed by the the person who did End of Watch so he'd be plagiarizing himself :)

It felt like End of Watch dipped in Suicide Squad coating.  Amusing enough for a 2 hour Netflix diversion but critics are gonna be super sniffy about unashamed trash like this.  As previously mentioned Noomi is a fantastic elf :wub:

11 minutes ago, Professor_k said:

Bright is directed by the the person who did End of Watch so he'd be plagiarizing himself :)

It felt like End of Watch dipped in Suicide Squad coating.  Amusing enough for a 2 hour Netflix diversion but critics are gonna be super sniffy about unashamed trash like this.  As previously mentioned Noomi is a fantastic elf :wub:

It's just so lazy. It's as if it was written by a 16 year old.

I enjoyed it. It's a bit flabby in places, (as per 99% of Netflix 'original' content), but I really liked Smith and Edgerton's partnership.

Action scenes were well done, some good humour and Noomi Rapace looking hot as fuck, as a psychopathic elf. 

'Worst film of the year'? Get a fucking grip. 

This was alright. Definitely a bit too long, though, and it could have leaned a bit more into the fantasy side more than the cop movie side. A lot of the swearing felt gratuitous, too.

At least we know Shrek exists in this universe. That's at least two Will Smith movies where he mentions Shrek. What a brogre.

On 24/12/2017 at 08:58, Goose said:

Theres definitely people shilling it hard on 4chan

Chalk me up as another who enjoyed it for what it is, a fairly solid L.A. based buddy cop film with elves, orcs and fairies. I know it's never going to win any awards for being the best film or the like but I would love to see a sequel. 

There's almost nothing in here that relies on the fantasy setting bar one scene that could be replaced pretty easily and a bit at the end. Everything else is replaceable with real world stuff.

It's pretty much End Of Watch 2, but then they tagged on some fantasy tropes. Replace the macguffin in the bag for $1m dollars. Or russian diamonds. Or confidential files.

The heavy handiness of the metaphors is a bit much and really shows that the writer was struggling past their own preconceptions and genre trappings, but there's the nugget of an idea here. It's only a 15 because of the copious amounts of swearing in it and one or two scenes with knives. I was actually surprised how small in scope it was, and how some threads were completely underdeveloped (prophecy) or abandoned (IA).

Clumsy but watchable. I'd watch the sequel if it made it through production but I kinda wish they'd tried a lot harder with this.