Turn your Wii into a fantastic emulation machine

dumpster

I’ve managed to get all my NTSC games to work in RGB now but I can’t work out how to get the Fatal Frame patch working. Any ideas? The patch is on a channel and loads (but makes everything red) but the channel doesnt appear in USB loader. When I select Wiivolution it just boots to the homebrew screen again.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely loving my Wii at the moment and I've been picking up a few import games. Has anyone else had issues where some NTSC games automatically load via normal means but some only boot via USB Loader? 

Kirby Collection, Fishing Resort, Fatal Frame 4 all work normally but NASCAR Kart Racer refuses to load unless I run it via the USB Loader. It's not the end of the world, just slight more faff.

2 hours ago, strider said:

Absolutely loving my Wii at the moment and I've been picking up a few import games. Has anyone else had issues where some NTSC games automatically load via normal means but some only boot via USB Loader? 

Kirby Collection, Fishing Resort, Fatal Frame 4 all work normally but NASCAR Kart Racer refuses to load unless I run it via the USB Loader. It's not the end of the world, just slight more faff.

That is in the OP somewhere I think.  Certain games not getting along with the Priiloader multiregion, whereas USB Loader runs anything.

• 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, TomatoConvenienceStore said:

I picked up a cheap Wii at a Car boot I want to softmodit, but getting Error 32004 which won't let me update the firmware (stuck on 3.1e). Reading around it seems this may be because it was previously modded, but I don't know.

Can I still mod it without updating?

I had that and I'm sure I used this guide to fix it :

https://www.reddit.com/r/WiiHacks/comments/nrv55m/how_to_fix_system_update_error_32004_or_no/

Thanks, I've spent the evening trying to install mods via bannerbomb  on SD card.

The issue is now that it freezes on the Scam warning message and doesn't let me progress by asking me to press 1 as it usually would.

I'll try tinkering with the WAD. I was having some problems with NUS downloader because (apparently) Wii servers aren't on anymore, but the files are uploaded to certain places such as here https://mariocube.xyz/ (link copied from a Reddit post so no idea of the validity of it). I'll get this thing working one way or antother!

Edit: ok, so this is where I'm at.

Started trying to softmod from ver. 3.1 via bannerbomb because my Wii wouldn't update (probably IOS stuff - I'm not that technical).

Bannerbomb works but Hackmii freezes - again probably down to IOS issues from a previous unknown mod.

I'm now following this guide to remedy the HackMii freeze:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WiiHacks/comments/gcm94u/hackmii_installer_frozen_on_scam_screen_no_ios/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

So I've loaded IOS58 (v6175) into to the SD card (direct download from internet as NUS downloader doesn't work anymore).

Now, here is where I'm stuck again 

The WAD manager booted up but it only goes up to IOS37 (though I was told to edit IOS58). I select ISO36 or whatever, but when I load the v6175 like I'm directed to I get the 2011 error. I'm using YAWMM.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone had any luck with NTSC games being in colour rather than different shades of red? I made some tweaks and absolutely everything now loads in colour as it should, but I've just picked up The Monkey King and it's refusing to load via anything other than WiiRevolution and when it loads (like the mod for Fatal Frame 4) it's all in red. I can use a composite lead for my sins, but would rather find a permanent fix.

10 minutes ago, strider said:

Has anyone had any luck with NTSC games being in colour rather than different shades of red? I made some tweaks and absolutely everything now loads in colour as it should, but I've just picked up The Monkey King and it's refusing to load via anything other than WiiRevolution and when it loads (like the mod for Fatal Frame 4) it's all in red. I can use a composite lead for my sins, but would rather find a permanent fix.

As far as I can remember the red screen was an ntsc game, using an RGB lead. Try a component lead? 

1 minute ago, dvdx2 said:

As far as I can remember the red screen was an ntsc game, using an RGB lead. Try a component lead? 

Hmm, I don't think I have a component lead for Wii. It's still the same issue of having to swap the leads over. I was having a similar issue with Fatal Frame 4, but once I made some settings tweaks in USB Loader it came out in colour (you can't patch it though). I was hoping a similar code existed for Monkey King.

1 hour ago, strider said:

Is this on a PAL Wii?
You need to set video output to PAL60 in whatever app you're using to boot it, be it Nintendon't or Gecko. 

11 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Is this on a PAL Wii?
You need to set video output to PAL60 in whatever app you're using to boot it, be it Nintendon't or Gecko. 

I have.

Edit. Sorry that's quite curt.

Sometimes US games like Kirby Dream Collection and Fishing Resort simply load through the main menu but I typically have to use USB Loader to boot stuff. Everything has booted through that (there's normally a black screen and a long pause before the game kicks in). For some reason Monkey King won't boot. It's all set to force PAL60 or whatever the section is. Nintendont seems to be GameCube only and I don't have Gecko for Wii.

I suppose component should work for everything but I'm not sure if I need any special leads to connect it to my PVM.

I noticed your post in wanted mentioning a hard mod, not much help as I don't think I would sell but what would a mod chip do that a soft mod cant? I have both on my Wii but basically only pay attention to the soft mod side as I thought that it made a mod chip thoroughly redundant. Surely there would be a hack to get those games to run. Although, on a side note I did have a problem getting Japanese wads of Cyber Sled to run, as in it wouldn't. It could probably be manipulated to play but I bailed after a few frustrated tries. Everything else I've ever tried boots perfectly.

29 minutes ago, amc said:

I noticed your post in wanted mentioning a hard mod, not much help as I don't think I would sell but what would a mod chip do that a soft mod cant? I have both on my Wii but basically only pay attention to the soft mod side as I thought that it made a mod chip thoroughly redundant. Surely there would be a hack to get those games to run. Although, on a side note I did have a problem getting Japanese wads of Cyber Sled to run, as in it wouldn't. It could probably be manipulated to play but I bailed after a few frustrated tries. Everything else I've ever tried boots perfectly.

I’m not tech savvy enough to mess around with the modding side so was hoping a hardmod will solve my issues.

i think my only other option is to get a us Wii and a component lead and hopefully get a decent image that way.

So here’s a thing. When I use riivolution on my wii trauma team and monkey king load but only in red. This version of wiivolution is on my home menu and not in the homebrew channel scene. If I boot usb loader and access wiivolution there I can change the settings that should apply the patch but when I start wiivolution it simply returns to the homebrew list where you install chsnnels. Any ideas?

Have you tried ripping it to a hard drive and booting it via usblaunchergx? You should be able to patch the video output on the fly. 

Admittedly it’s not exactly running it off disc but might be a cost effective work around?

3 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Have you tried ripping it to a hard drive and booting it via usblaunchergx? You should be able to patch the video output on the fly. 

Admittedly it’s not exactly running it off disc but might be a cost effective work around?

I don't have that app and I don't really have the nohow to add extra stuff. I'm also not keen on ripping it as then it would feel like I've just wasted £50 importing it. I'm wondering if my stuff is just out of date (it was modded around two years ago) and maybe the latest firmware fixes them.

Unlikely. As far as I can tell from a quick search around the webs the disc is forcing the wii into ntsc mode which disables rgb on the multiav port and switches the pins so you’re only getting a video signal over the red pin.

I couldn’t see any way around it aside from changing the video mode of the disc at boot. Easy enough with usbloadergx and an iso. There might be something in gekko loader (which you should have if you have the home brew channel). 

5 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Gekko OS: http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Gecko_OS

download and copy onto your as card in the apps folder. 

Fire up home brew channel, select Gekko OS. 

choose video options and select force Pal60. The click load disc. 

see if that works. 

cheers will try after work. Interestingly, forcing Pal 60 via USB Loader wasn't enough, had to make a few additional tweaks as well. Found it on shmups forum.

13 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Gekko OS: http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Gecko_OS

download and copy onto your as card in the apps folder. 

Fire up home brew channel, select Gekko OS. 

choose video options and select force Pal60. The click load disc. 

see if that works. 

This is lterally what I do. 

Also, an component or s-video cable might be a cheaper work around than buying a whole new machine.

14 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Sd:/apps/gecko/?

check page 2?

edit: if you have usb loader gx installed, plug a usb stick in the bottom usb and rip the disc. 

I don’t understand any of that and it’s not on the second page. I just think it wasn’t installed properly in the first place (I paid to have it done)

Ok so on your sd card there is a folder in the root called “apps”

in that folder are all the app folders. In the wiibrew link you should have downloaded the latest (last?) gecko os. The zip would have had three files in, a .dol file and two others (meta.xml and one I can’t remember a banner icon image I think). Put those three in a new folder (probably needing to be called gecko or something similar) within the apps folder. 

now when you fire up the home brew channel it should be listed with the other apps. 

1 hour ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Ok so on your sd card there is a folder in the root called “apps”

in that folder are all the app folders. In the wiibrew link you should have downloaded the latest (last?) gecko os. The zip would have had three files in, a .dol file and two others (meta.xml and one I can’t remember a banner icon image I think). Put those three in a new folder (probably needing to be called gecko or something similar) within the apps folder. 

now when you fire up the home brew channel it should be listed with the other apps. 

I'm sure I've done that but I'll have another look.