rllmuk
dumpster

Turn your Wii into a fantastic emulation machine

On 06/03/2017 at 18:17, buizel said:

I believe Priiloader allows you to move the Disc channel amongst other things, I havent actually used it but sounds v useful. Should be kid friendly if you move the HBC/channels-you-dont-want-accessed a few pages in.

thanks @dumpster for the forwarders (: . i have the silver ones that all look somewhat similar, though a few like ScummVM forwarder (on my wii atm) just reboot the system

also, random info: 3rd party classic controllers are sketchy with HBC and emu's. best get official.

If your forwarder resets the system, its likely that the files are misnamed. For example, the wiiSX forwarder will assume there is a folder on the SD card 

SD:\apps\WiiSx

And it will look there for the boot.dol file. If that's not there, it won't load and will drop you back to the menu.  Same for all forwarders.

I havez whilst writing this guide, been experimenting with Priiloader, and I am actually starting to prefer having the Wii boot straight into USB Loader GX. It provides quick access to the Homebrew Channel or USB.

2 hours ago, Meh said:

Wii image quality makes this a no-no for me.

Looks incredible over component on a HDTV and displays the correct number of lines over scart for pixel perfect CRT imagery. What's not to like? 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Yeah component all the way, nice and cheap cables too.

Thought you were being sarcastic for a moment, as I just saw that Gamecube component cables are hundreds of pounds on eBay, but the official Wii one is only £20 and my blaze one was £2.  Wonder why the Cube ones are so expensive!

Just now, dumpster said:

Thought you were being sarcastic for a moment, as I just saw that Gamecube component cables are hundreds of pounds on eBay, but the official Wii one is only £20 and my blaze one was £2.  Wonder why the Cube ones are so expensive!

They produced like 5 :lol:

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Meh said:

From my own experience, it's no HDMI.

If anyone can contribute further to this, I'd appreciate it.  I bought a HDMI adaptor for the Wii and it was a flimsy piece of shit.  There was a pinhole and the instructions said to use a pin to switch between modes.  After being unsucessful and only getting a scart quality image I took the thing apart to find there was nothing behind the pinhole.  I complained and eBay game a refund.

So are there decent quality HDMI adaptors for the Wii or are they all shit?  Personally I don't find the lack of HDMI an issue because I have no HDMIs free and the component connectors would be empty if I didn't use the Wii.

2 hours ago, dumpster said:

Because of this, the actual lead has chips that help convert the signal. It's also why there has never been any third party component leads.

cable-board.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all the help and pointers, got the Forwarders working (look great!) and managed to try out some retro WiiWare games. Although there seems to be a bit of an issue when moving some of the Channels to the SD card. Some work fine, others come up with a "Failed To Launch" error (Even though they work fine when on the Wii memory). It seems random, because even patching these wads to the the exact same IOS and settings as the ones that work fine, well, you still get the error. I think the only way to fix it is to install WiiFlow and run the channels from that...

Anyway, one game that's really worth getting (and buying) is Burger Time World Tour. It's a brilliant update of the original Burger Time and really enhances the gameplay. 

On the other hand, the Frogger update is complete pump and the Adventure island one is OK but looks really, really ropey (and loses all of the charm of the original)

• Upvote 2

Well no prizes as to guessing who has had a bit of hassle with this mod.  Yep, that would be me.  Fresh off doing the raspberry pi mod (which was it's own faff, and you would have thought I'd have learned my lesson there) this has turned into a bit of a pita.

I've got the mac address, I've gone on to hack.mii got the letterbomb, and extracted it to the sd card (freshly formatted).  Shove it back in the wii and turn it on and nothing.  Go to the mail and go forward and back and don't get the letterbomb mail.  The wii is connected to the internet as it passes the connection test.

I can take ipod classics apart and swop out the hard drives for sd cards. I can take mac minis apart and swop out the hard drive for a new one, but when it comes to these "simple" 5 minute software mods something nearly always goes tits up for me!

23 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

Well no prizes as to guessing who has had a bit of hassle with this mod.  Yep, that would be me.  Fresh off doing the raspberry pi mod (which was it's own faff, and you would have thought I'd have learned my lesson there) this has turned into a bit of a pita.

I've got the mac address, I've gone on to hack.mii got the letterbomb, and extracted it to the sd card (freshly formatted).  Shove it back in the wii and turn it on and nothing.  Go to the mail and go forward and back and don't get the letterbomb mail.  The wii is connected to the internet as it passes the connection test.

I can take ipod classics apart and swop out the hard drives for sd cards. I can take mac minis apart and swop out the hard drive for a new one, but when it comes to these "simple" 5 minute software mods something nearly always goes tits up for me!

Can you try a different SD card? I thibk even a 1Gb is enough.  Have you got a micro SD and an adaptor you could use? Maybe from an old R4 cartridge?  

Did you extract the zip into the root directory?  

Make sure whatever you use its not a SDHC.

8 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Can you try a different SD card? I thibk even a 1Gb is enough.  Have you got a micro SD and an adaptor you could use? Maybe from an old R4 cartridge?  

Did you extract the zip into the root directory?  

Make sure whatever you use its not a SDHC.

Got a 1 gig somewhere, will dig it out.  It's not sdhc and yes extract to root.   Did a little bit of digging and it seems that you need to do a full format using the sd card formatter, not quick.  Won't have time to do this until the weekend now.

Thanks

8 hours ago, Meh said:

From my own experience, it's no HDMI.

This is fair, I have run a few NES games via HDMI and even though my TV just does 720p (i think?) they look so much sharper and cleaner. I don't find component cables make much of a difference over SCART for the Wii, maybe it's something I have to change in the settings but it's definately not HD quality. That's something I am looking forward to seeing how my XBOX does at being hacked, since that does 720p over component.

1 hour ago, davidcotton said:

Got a 1 gig somewhere, will dig it out.  It's not sdhc and yes extract to root.   Did a little bit of digging and it seems that you need to do a full format using the sd card formatter, not quick.  Won't have time to do this until the weekend now.

Thanks

Alternatively it might be a few more pages in the calender either way

12 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Sorry but component is miles better than Scart!!!!!

I wish I could believe you, thats why I bought component cables - but the image quality seems almost identical to me.. why can't I see the difference?

Can you post some pictures as to how it should look if at all possible? I'd love to up my Wii's image quality - I'm gunna buy a HDMI one (to free up my component slot on my TV for the xbox)

19 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Sorry but component is miles better than Scart!!!!!

Yes, technically it definitely is but it also depends on the video output of the machine in question. And the quality of the video output of the Wii is shit. You get far better results hooking up a component cable to a GameCube or (of course, being an hd console and all) a Wii U.

That's also why using an HDMI adapter on a Wii makes fuck all difference, all you're doing is pumping a shitty video output signal into an HDMI port. HDMI doesn't magically make it look better,  the video signal itself has to be good for HDMI to make any kind of difference. Those HDMI adapters exist so you can hook up your Wii to a telly without component or if your component connection is already taken by something else.

This is awesome! Shame I lost the machine for an hour while my wife was playing Super Mario Bros. Fuze ZX is on there too, but there doesn't seem to be a forwarder for that.

The only issue I'm having is that the Genesis emulator takes a good 90 seconds to boot.

17201418_992251264242377_5266342102892600034_n.jpg.b05c1a0e3e2d63b244ac5bd57c21b96f.jpg

• Upvote 1

What the MAME emulation like? I'm tempted just to download all of them so they're on there, and add roms as and when. 

Can't seem to get FUZE to work at all, but the other Spectrum emulator works ok, though again the keyboard input stuff is frustrating when you just want to play.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Goose said:

What the MAME emulation like? I'm tempted just to download all of them so they're on there, and add roms as and when. 

Can't seem to get FUZE to work at all, but the other Spectrum emulator works ok, though again the keyboard input stuff is frustrating when you just want to play.

Plug a USB keyboard in the back.

There's a spectrum forwarder in the Dropbox link I posted earlier.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Plug a USB keyboard in the back.

There's a spectrum forwarder in the Dropbox link I posted earlier.

That'll teach me not to read through the entire thread - many thanks for the link.

And a USB keyboard will really work? Oh man that's brilliant. 

Yeah, you want to use FBZX as the Speccy emulator, it's much better than Fuse (and dumpster has got a forwarder for it). 

I use a tiny Bluetooth USB keyboard that's usually used with smart tv's and the like. It cost about a tenner off eBay and it's really good (although a bit of a pain if you're actually using it as a control method!)

Playstation and MAME both don't appear to want to work. Need to look at that. I installed a few more just in preparation of trying them out. Then the kids wanted to play Wii Sports Resort.

Is there any way to get VC stuff in different video modes? I want to give Pilotwings 64 a go, but can only find the U.S.version and my TV doesn't like the Wii's NTSC output. It's not an issue for most Wii and GameCube games, since you can force them into PAL / PAL60.