rllmuk
dumpster

Turn your Wii into a fantastic emulation machine

That’s good to know.

I am looking to play Phantasy Star Online with my old characters (saved on physical memory cards) but I’d quite like to back up the saves first just in case 

I was a bit heartbroken that the Goldeneye ROM I found when originally modding the Wii had a load of texture and sound issues, running like mud.

Did a bit of reading online and found the updated Wii64 files, with the ‘RICE’ loader, as well as a few more ROM files for the game.

I now have it running at full screen, NTSC with luxuries such as a skybox and gun shots that don’t sound nightmarish. I’m so happy, a milestone moment :D

• Upvote 2

Is there a way to set up Wii games to launch from the main Wii channels menu, rather than having to go into USB Launcher GX first?

Setting up a Wii for my kids and it'd be much easier if they could just select them from the first menu they get to.

I believe your best bet would be to get the Wii to just boot directly to USB Loader GX. I can't remember how to do it, but it's definitely possible. I think maybe it's an option in Priiloader...?

I have a question about installing Virtaul Console WADS, specifically NTSC WAD files for N64 and SNES games on a PAL console.

Is this possible? I want to use the NTSC files so i get 60hz/full screen goodness on the Wii. I did some research on this but couldn't find a good guide. I understand Wii games will work from other regions when modded but not WiiWare/VC games.

40 minutes ago, ca18s13 said:

I have a question about installing Virtaul Console WADS, specifically NTSC WAD files for N64 and SNES games on a PAL console.

Is this possible? I want to use the NTSC files so i get 60hz/full screen goodness on the Wii. I did some research on this but couldn't find a good guide. I understand Wii games will work from other regions when modded but not WiiWare/VC games.

I have installed an NTSC WAD (Mario Golf 64) and it won't boot through the normal Wii menu but will boot through USB Loader GX but i have one problem, it runs in 576i (PAL, interlaced). I have tried forcing the video mode to NTSC 480P but it doesn't work. It still boots in 576i and the speed is slow and the sound is off :(

The other problem i have is my Wii is on 4.1 and i can't update to 4.3 to rehack it as i get an error: Error Code 32007 An error has occured. I did some reading on this too and it's something to do with the system being modded.

Any ideas what to do?

1 hour ago, ca18s13 said:

I have installed an NTSC WAD (Mario Golf 64) and it won't boot through the normal Wii menu but will boot through USB Loader GX but i have one problem, it runs in 576i (PAL, interlaced). I have tried forcing the video mode to NTSC 480P but it doesn't work. It still boots in 576i and the speed is slow and the sound is off :(

The other problem i have is my Wii is on 4.1 and i can't update to 4.3 to rehack it as i get an error: Error Code 32007 An error has occured. I did some reading on this too and it's something to do with the system being modded.

Any ideas what to do?

Okay, found a simple guide for running NTSC Virtual Console games on a PAL Wii.

https://amp-reddit-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.reddit.com/r/WiiHacks/comments/3zkxwl/guide_how_to_install_and_play_ntsc_virtual/?usqp=mq331AQECAEoAQ%3D%3D&amp_js_v=0.1

Tested on NES, Turbo Grafx, SNES, N64 and MD and all work perfectly!

N64 looks particularly nice running at 480P through component cables.

Now resolving the update problems.

Was reading the other day about this apparent "480p bug" that's been discovered recently on the Wii. Links here, and also here on GBATemp where there is an update to USB Loader GX that incorporates a fix. I'm a bit confused by the whole thing though (and reading into it a bit it looks like the developer of USB Loader isn't that convinced either). How come, if this is a software bug and only affects machines made before 2010, was it not fixed in version 4.3 of the Wii's firmware? Do we know that it wasn't? I have a circa-2008 Wii I think so this bug should affect it, but upon trying the fixed USB Loader and applying the patch I cannot see the difference. Not because I'm blind, but because there isn't any. I'm using a Panasonic 40" 1080p TV.

Anyone else have a take on this? What am I missing here?

I read that there's a bug in the developers SDK, and it affects every game that has a 480p output.  I thought "Oh no!" then realised that I always thought the games looked fine in 480p!

We're being told something that was never a problem has always been a problem, so I'm not sure I want to spend the time fixing a problem I never knew I had.  Unless someone posts here that it makes a world of difference.....

Glad it's not just me Dumpster! I keep a couple of SD cards with all my Wii stuff on so it was OK for me to just give it a go, but yeah I agree. I was sceptical before and remain so afterwards. Reverted back to the previous version that I know works with everything.

Here are photos of Mario Kart Wii running on my 640x480p LCD. You can see the graphics at a pixel level. 

Fixed followed by Original. 

https://imgur.com/a/Ef02mmz

Notice the pixels align horizontally on the fixed photos. On the original things fall on half pixels. The fix helps you gain clarity of your output image, especially horizontally. 

Now, this is just one way of seeing the difference. The actual problem is sub-optimal video setup in some code used by all games, it just manifests itself here as pixel alignment. 

As I  understand it the later Wiis changed how video was output in hardware and this change skipped the bug, rather than it being solved on purpose. 

Yes those are the shots I've seen on GBATemp. I'm guessing you are active there?

You say you have a 480p LCD screen. I can only imagine this is why you can see this. I am usually extremely tuned to video differences but after trying the new update to USB Loader out on my TV (as above - a Panasonic 40" 1080p screen, nothing special) and applying the patch in the menu I could not see anything different whatsoever. And I'm not even talking about the games, I mean just browsing the game collection from USB Loader. It all looks exactly the same. I do not have the official component cable, so not sure if that makes any difference, but I do have what I thought was a decent quality lead. My Wii is from about 2008 or thereabouts. Maybe 2007, but no later than '08. I've never been particularly impressed with the Wii's image, but but it's never been especially offensive to me either, unless I switch to the bundled composite cable where it is unplayable on modern TV's imho.

You're saying this was never addressed in firmware updates? I'd be curious to see well captured video comparing the differences rather than close up pixel shots.

• Upvote 1

Anyone know the cheapest/most reliable place to get a Classic Pad for the Wii? Using a wavebird just now but I want a better Pad. I see CEX have them for £8 but only one in my local and it looks skanky. 

19 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

Anyone know the cheapest/most reliable place to get a Classic Pad for the Wii? Using a wavebird just now but I want a better Pad. I see CEX have them for £8 but only one in my local and it looks skanky. 

Forgot to say, make sure you buy a Ninte do branded controller, third party ones dont work on homebrew, no idea why.

Cex do send stock from a store but not necessarily your local one, but you can return whatever they send you if it's no good.

On 01/07/2019 at 18:12, Lumpy said:

Yes those are the shots I've seen on GBATemp. I'm guessing you are active there?

You say you have a 480p LCD screen. I can only imagine this is why you can see this. I am usually extremely tuned to video differences but after trying the new update to USB Loader out on my TV (as above - a Panasonic 40" 1080p screen, nothing special) and applying the patch in the menu I could not see anything different whatsoever. (Snip)

You're saying this was never addressed in firmware updates? I'd be curious to see well captured video comparing the differences rather than close up pixel shots.

Yes I'm on GBAtemp. 

I think you're right the I can see this more easily because I'm using a 1:1 panel. Any higher and the upscaling is going to hide any differences or benefits the fix provides. 

My belief is that Nintendo (and everybody) were blissfully unaware of the problem so it therefore went unfixed. And the later hardware fixed it as a side effect of having big changes. 

I'll capture some video when I can. 

It's a bit of a contradiction to want the best image quality on Wii (like this fix) whilst knowingly upscaling the heck out of the image to 1080p or even 4K. I think it's only worthwhile pursuing this if you're running Wii at native resolution. 

Interesting. I'd be curious to see the comparison video. :)  I myself just use a fairly bog standard Panasonic 40" TV with a cheapo component (I might have already mentioned this, sorry). The Wii is set to HDTV and beyond a few picture calibration settings that's the extent of my interaction with it tbh. It's been OK for the longest time.

Actually, if you are tech-savvy with the Wii you may be able to help me. I'm having an odd issue that has only recently surfaced. Basically this only happens with USB Loader GX. If I use an official Wii Classic controller (I have 3 of these) to navigate my collection, I notice that when sweeping the pointer from left to right that it judders and skips about. Now in the past this has been an issue with the Wii when the light isn't right. It can be picky. However this is only happening on USB Loader as I say. In game things seem to be OK, but I'm really confused as to why this is suddenly happening.

I've tried:

• New SD cards, (several of) fresh install of different versions of USB Loader.
  • Different sensor bar - daughter has her Wii with an official bar in her room. "Borrowed" it heh.
  • Sensor bar in different locations.
  • Different Wii remotes and classic controllers - all official gear, no knockoffs.
  • New component cable. Admittedly I do not have the official cable here, but they've been fine for a long while.
  • Checked settings in USB Loader in case I missed something.
  • Re-calibrated remote sensitivity in Wii console settings.
  • TV picture settings in case you never know.
  • Sitting at different distances etc.

So far nothing is helping at all. If you or anyone else have any ideas please do let me know. I suppose it's nothing really as things otherwise are working fine, but my worst fear is something internal in the Wii has corrupted and will only get worse. Hate to lose the Wii, would rather nip this in the bud if I can.

Thanks.

Hi all! Interesting thing, I consider doing all of this. Question though :

Is it possible to use an USB hard drive for the whole thing? I mean use a SD card for loading the Homebrew channel, but then switch immediately to a hard drive to install Snes, Nes, etc. emulators and games, and also Gamecube and Wii? Meaning not using a high capacity SD card for emulation and a hard drive for Gamecube, but using the hard drive for everything? 

Thanks !

On 17/08/2019 at 10:00, TheAlex2405 said:

Hi all! Interesting thing, I consider doing all of this. Question though :

Is it possible to use an USB hard drive for the whole thing? I mean use a SD card for loading the Homebrew channel, but then switch immediately to a hard drive to install Snes, Nes, etc. emulators and games, and also Gamecube and Wii? Meaning not using a high capacity SD card for emulation and a hard drive for Gamecube, but using the hard drive for everything? 

Thanks !

yes it sure is.  I definitely prefer having just Wii and Gamecube Isos on the hard drive and SD card for everything else, but that is personal preference.