Jump to content
rllmuk
dumpster

Turn your Wii into a fantastic emulation machine

Recommended Posts

It still amazes me, that all the stuff that can be emulated nearly perfectly - including a number of fairly modern systems, they've still never quite cracked the N64.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I've found Pilotwings playable in Wii, by messing with the emulator setting.  I got it playable but with weird messed up shadows.

 

Fair enough, im only speaking from those compatbility lists.

 

I do know theyre not complete though, for example Snowboard Kids 1 runs perfectly (1ms audio glitch when entering menu sometimes but thats it) but it says bad on the list. Not sure if i updated it. Banjo Tooie and CBFD are also apparently playable which is pretty impressive, I remember BT giving emulators troubles. DK64 is the ultimate challenge tho,

 

9 minutes ago, Goose said:

It still amazes me, that all the stuff that can be emulated nearly perfectly - including a number of fairly modern systems, they've still never quite cracked the N64.

 

Android and PC are better than Wii (but not perfect i dont think, been a while since i Used project64), and I believe DS emulation on Android is lightyears ahead of Windows which is crazy to me. Still, afaik not64 and wiisxR are still being worked on to this day, so compatbility can still get better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone help with a Diddy Kong Racing save file for not64? Went to play some of the mini games but they're all locked. 

 

I tried a save file I found googling but it didn't seem to recognise it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've set up my old Wii again (it's been in a box for the past two years or so), and everything seemed to be working as before. Except for the Homebrew Browser. It actual crashes when sorting titles, and when trying to list installed-programs, it's saying nothing is installed, even though various emulators are.

 

Do I just need to update the Homebrew browser, or is there a better alternative?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pilotwings always worked well on the original Xbox's emulator but mine is stored away. It's a shame the Wii version can't run properly. 

Even on PC you need to mess about with plugins etc to get rid of those horrible shadow glitches.

 

I can't believe it's never come to the Virtual Console, or even seen an unofficial port by the community.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/04/2017 at 07:04, OogyBoogy said:

I've set up my old Wii again (it's been in a box for the past two years or so), and everything seemed to be working as before. Except for the Homebrew Browser. It actual crashes when sorting titles, and when trying to list installed-programs, it's saying nothing is installed, even though various emulators are.

 

Do I just need to update the Homebrew browser, or is there a better alternative?

 

 

I wouldnt bother with the homebrew browser, ive just constant problems with it.

 

Theres not so many custom apps on the Wii that are great except the ones in OP, and the WiiMC media player. Maybe check out wiibrew.org, the wiki for Wii homebrew - downloads on the page just need to be places in their own folder in the SD cards "apps" folder for homebrew channel to recognise them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the mac still didn't like that megadrive files but I got it working through one of the other emulators which handles other formats too. Currently I got mame, snes, megadrive, n64,  pc Engine, master system and nes up and running. Having problems with ps1 (which I'm not that fussed over) and Neo geo but will work on them. Huge thanks to the op for all the links and help. Loving having this wonder machine!!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to get on this, because I dug our Wii out yesterday to show my daughter Super Monkey Ball, and discovered I actually have a fair few Gamecube games that she'll enjoy - but setting the Wii up again is a right nuisance, not least because I already have a Wii U there and one sensor bar is one too many. Also I begrudge waving a Wiimote around just to launch a GC disc.

 

Is it possible to get the Wii set up so that I don't have to fanny around with a Wiimote at all? Or am I better off doing all this on the Wii mode of my Wii U? I assume the Wii U won't read GC discs and I'll need to rip them to ISOs if I take that route? Did I read somewhere there's an ISO ripper I can run on my original Wii to do that?

 

I'm enjoying the fact that we can use the GC controller and Wavebird with the Wii, but there's no denying the Wii U would be a lot more convenient, in terms of cables if nothing else. Either way I see that our CEX has plenty of copies of Lego Batman, so I reckon that's a weekend project sorted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rowan Morrison said:

I need to get on this, because I dug our Wii out yesterday to show my daughter Super Monkey Ball, and discovered I actually have a fair few Gamecube games that she'll enjoy - but setting the Wii up again is a right nuisance, not least because I already have a Wii U there and one sensor bar is one too many. Also I begrudge waving a Wiimote around just to launch a GC disc.

 

Is it possible to get the Wii set up so that I don't have to fanny around with a Wiimote at all? Or am I better off doing all this on the Wii mode of my Wii U? I assume the Wii U won't read GC discs and I'll need to rip them to ISOs if I take that route? Did I read somewhere there's an ISO ripper I can run on my original Wii to do that?

 

I'm enjoying the fact that we can use the GC controller and Wavebird with the Wii, but there's no denying the Wii U would be a lot more convenient, in terms of cables if nothing else. Either way I see that our CEX has plenty of copies of Lego Batman, so I reckon that's a weekend project sorted.

Could you not just install Homebrew on the Wii U and use the Wii U Pro Controller with Nintendont?

 

(I haven't done this, it's why I'm asking the forum!)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, moora said:

Could you not just install Homebrew on the Wii U and use the Wii U Pro Controller with Nintendont?

 

(I haven't done this, it's why I'm asking the forum!)

 

Yeah, sorry if that wasn't clear - that's almost certainly the easiest solution for me, and I have everything I need except a game with an exploit to get stuff installed. I guess my main question is just to confirm that the Wii U doesn't read GC discs directly. If it does, I'm sorted. If it doesn't, I'll need to rip a few - and I think I read somewhere that this can be done on the Wii itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rowan Morrison said:

 

Yeah, sorry if that wasn't clear - that's almost certainly the easiest solution for me, and I have everything I need except a game with an exploit to get stuff installed. I guess my main question is just to confirm that the Wii U doesn't read GC discs directly. If it does, I'm sorted. If it doesn't, I'll need to rip a few - and I think I read somewhere that this can be done on the Wii itself.

I haven't tried it, but I believe Nintendont does play GC discs. You'd need a copy of Lego Batman or Lego Indiana Jones (Lego Batman is pretty cheap to pick up) in order to install the Homebrew channel.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, moora said:

I haven't tried it, but I believe Nintendont does play GC discs. You'd need a copy of Lego Batman or Lego Indiana Jones (Lego Batman is pretty cheap to pick up) in order to install the Homebrew channel.

 

Ah, seems not from this Reddit thread, which is about the clearest info I can find. Still, ISOs shouldn't be a problem - looks like the hardest part is likely to be visiting CEX, but a belt of scotch should see me through that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I modded my Wii a while back, but one thing I'd like to do is play my ntsc GameCube games on my modded (albeit PAL) Wii. 

Id like to just pop the discs in rather than use isos and external drives

 

Any advice? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, super_quincy said:

 

I modded my Wii a while back, but one thing I'd like to do is play my ntsc GameCube games on my modded (albeit PAL) Wii. 

Id like to just pop the discs in rather than use isos and external drives

 

Any advice? 

 

You can install the Gecko OS app on Homebrew, it allows you to run import GC games. Only games I've had a problem with are Midway Treasures 2 and 3... 

 

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Gecko_OS

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daft question that's probably come up before.

 

I've got some Wii ISO files but when I try and copy them to the external HDD I'm using, it tells me the files are too big to fit. 

 

I am assume it's because they're 4.37GB and the FAT32 file system doesn't allow files that big. So how do I get them on there, please? 

 

(There's tonnes of space free so that isn't the issue)

 

Edit: Ignore me - it's in the first bloody post!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was playing with the homebrew browser today, but when trying to install stuff from it it came up with an error saying folders couldn't be created. Any ideas why? The SD card is not read only nor protected 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder if anyone could maybe point out where I seem to be going wrong (again). I'm trying to get the Neo geo emulation working and iv got the emulator visible but no roms ever seem to show. Iv renamed the various bios and files I need and as far as I can see it should work but no roms ever show up. I did read that there may be some Rom compatiblity quirks but anyone else had problems?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just put my Black Wii up in the trading folder if anyone was after a setup.  Comes softmodded, 32GB card, controller pro & games.   Has a few emulators setup on the sd card, and also managed to get GC games running through Nintendont, so thats all ready to go, just did not have enough time to get the rest sorted out.  Maybe someone else will? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/04/2017 at 10:16, Skull Commander said:

Wonder if anyone could maybe point out where I seem to be going wrong (again). I'm trying to get the Neo geo emulation working and iv got the emulator visible but no roms ever seem to show. Iv renamed the various bios and files I need and as far as I can see it should work but no roms ever show up. I did read that there may be some Rom compatiblity quirks but anyone else had problems?  

I've found it's the ROM compatibility, although I can't remember which version of the ROMs worked! 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2017 at 21:04, dumpster said:

I steer clear of dodgy wads, but I've def seen the rebirth games to download if there's no other way to get them legitimately.

 

I tried installing a US WiiWare WAD on my PAL Wii, to the SD card, and tried to load it but always get errors. Even though I used BootMii or w/e to make it region free. IDK, wish I could still get PAL WiiWare games hmm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.