dumpster

Turn your Wii into a fantastic emulation machine

I've just bought a second hand Wii from Ebay and, following Dumpster's excellent guide, am well into the modding process.

I was looking to buy a component cable for it but, having noticed these, I was wondering if they were any good?

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Neoteck-Converter-Support-Format-HDTV-White/dp/B06Y6MSY78/ref=sr_1_12_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1551995217&sr=8-12-spons&keywords=wii%2Bcomponent&th=1

If anyone has any experience of the using them I would appreciate the help.

Thanks.

Thanks. 

Also has anyone had any issues with MMM not working?  I've tried the version in Dumpster's post and from their own site.

At the moment it will load up fine.  However, on the main screen none of the buttons on the Wiimote do anything, the four blue lights on the Wiimote constantly flash and after a minute or so the screen seems to crash to a black screen with snowflake patterns constantly going up the screen.

The strange thin is when I switch off the Wii it comes back and says "Shutting down Wii..." at the top of the screen?

It's the only stumbling block I have hit so far.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

37 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

I have one of those. I'm not much of an AV nerd, so I'm probably not the best person to give an opinion, but it works perfectly, as far as I'm concerned. 

I've bought one. I'll give it a go.  I might buy a component cable as a backup though.  I'll see how it goes. Thanks!

14 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I've just bought a second hand Wii from Ebay and, following Dumpster's excellent guide, am well into the modding process.

I was looking to buy a component cable for it but, having noticed these, I was wondering if they were any good?

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Neoteck-Converter-Support-Format-HDTV-White/dp/B06Y6MSY78/ref=sr_1_12_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1551995217&sr=8-12-spons&keywords=wii%2Bcomponent&th=1

If anyone has any experience of the using them I would appreciate the help.

Thanks.

I got a Wii2HDMI adaptor off ebay and there was a pinhole on the back of the unit.  Googling suggested that you put a pin in the hole to touch a switch that changes between screen modes.  I tried this to no avail, and eventually took the casing apart to see where the switch was and there wasn't one.  The default image was a bit blurry and I assumed that this switch would have fixed that, so I sent it back.  The seller told me they order them wholesale and they all look much the same but they had come across this issue before.

The component cable looks great though, you're emulating consoles that were never HD to begin with and 480p looks great. The colours especially. 

1 hour ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Thanks. 

Also has anyone had any issues with MMM not working?  I've tried the version in Dumpster's post and from their own site.

At the moment it will load up fine.  However, on the main screen none of the buttons on the Wiimote do anything, the four blue lights on the Wiimote constantly flash and after a minute or so the screen seems to crash to a black screen with snowflake patterns constantly going up the screen.

The strange thin is when I switch off the Wii it comes back and says "Shutting down Wii..." at the top of the screen?

It's the only stumbling block I have hit so far.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Not a clue.  I'd fully unplug the console, wait a minute and plug it back in.  Have you done all the other steps in the guide including cIos?

14 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Not a clue.  I'd fully unplug the console, wait a minute and plug it back in.  Have you done all the other steps in the guide including cIos?

I haven't got to close yet. I was following the guide step by step. I'll give your suggestions a try. Cheers mate!

7 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I haven't got to close yet. I was following the guide step by step. I'll give your suggestions a try. Cheers mate!

It should work, in that order.  I did a friends console a few weeks ago and followed my guide to give it the once over, so if you're doing it in order it should work.   If you find you are having issues with other apps, maybe it's worth your while doing a firnware update from the Nintendo servers, and starting afresh.  It's not a time consuming process especially if you've already done it before. I believe that if you do it a second time, you should still note down your mac address and re-download the hackmii from the website, rather than using the files you downloaded the first time.

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

Are you using a Nintendo official brand Wii remote? Homebrew is weird when you use non-branded accessories for some reason)

I am.  I'm on the 4.3 firmware too. I made sure I did that before I started the Homebrew stuff.

I just tried YAWMM. It's not working with the Wiimote's either.  I have three and the all turn themselves off when the program starts.  The blue light disappears and they do nothing. They are definitely official Nintendo Wiimote's so I'm unsure why I'm having this issue.  It was all going so well!

One thing I will recommend is to use a hard drive rather than a USB stick. I used a 32gb stick at first and that was fine with GC games, but it would not work with my Wii rips. It just kept going to a black screen (I'd posted here about it in fact). After a read of the GBA Temp forums, the USB Loader developer said that for it all to work you should use a hard drive. Since switching to this Elements drive everything is running extremely well. For £50 it's added so much value to my Wii, and it was well worth it.

I'll give it a try if I can dig out an old external drive.

At the moment I'm a bit stuck.  I have a Wii .wbfs file on the 32Gb SD card. MMM sees the file but won't load it.  YWMM comes up with a loading error.  I've tried it on a 16Gb brand new USB drive but USB Loader doesn't see it.  I also tried WiiFlow.  It sees the file and even shows a preview screen of the game and has downloaded box art.  However when I click the play button it hangs on a black screen then boots back the main Wii menu.

I've just found an old Gamecube game unboxed in a bag of old tat I was going to chuck.  I might have a go at ripping it.

Wish me luck!

Wbfs files need to be in a folder titled “wbfs” along with a text file describing the title. I can’t remember the format off hand. Then you’ll need a launcher to boot it such as cfg launcher or usb launcher gx. 

1 hour ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I have the game in a "wbfs" folder. That's the first I've heard of needing text files. USB Launcher doesn't see the game.

Use USB launcher to rip a disc game. Then have a look at where it is on the hard drive and copy your other wbfs files there in the same structure. Each game has its own folder inside the wbfs folder.

Like:

usb0:wbfs/mariogalaxy/Mario.wbfs 

Usb0:wbfs/maddogmcree/mad.wbfs

and so on.  No text files in there. 

I had to have a small text file for xenoblade to work or at least get listed in cfg launcher. I think it had one line of text which was the wbfs filename then the disc ID and a text string of the game title:

xenoblade.wbfs sx4p01 “Xenoblade Chronicles” - or something like that. 

Maybe it it wasn’t necessary but I could only get it to work once I copied the file from a rip of smash bros I did myself and changed it to match. 

Ok so I have ripped the GC game I have with USB Loader to SD card. It works fine. I have also managed to get a GC rip from "out there" to work using Nintendont.  I've also managed to get a few N64 ROMS working with Wii64 (Some crash though).  My big issue is I can't get Wii games to work. I've tried wbsf files and tried ripping my own discs with USB Loader. It doesn't recognise my FAT32 formatted USB drive (16Gb) but will load the GC games via Nintendont from the SD card.

I've also tried to rip my own Wii discs with USB Loader but it starts to rip them then crashes at around 1%.

I've just reverted to the Nintendo 4.3E update and am going to start from scratch.  There's something I'm not doing right.

8 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Ok so I have ripped the GC game I have with USB Loader to SD card. It works fine. I have also managed to get a GC rip from "out there" to work using Nintendont.  I've also managed to get a few N64 ROMS working with Wii64 (Some crash though).  My big issue is I can't get Wii games to work. I've tried wbsf files and tried ripping my own discs with USB Loader. It doesn't recognise my FAT32 formatted USB drive (16Gb) but will load the GC games via Nintendont from the SD card.

I've also tried to rip my own Wii discs with USB Loader but it starts to rip them then crashes at around 1%.

I've just reverted to the Nintendo 4.3E update and am going to start from scratch.  There's something I'm not doing right.

Try a different USB drive , and be sure to connect it to the USB connector that is closest to the outer edge of the console. Other than that, not a clue.

So I've read and have seen on Youtube a few times not to use a Wii motion plus controller for using Homebrew, especially cios. I have three of them.

Could that be the issue I'm having? Should I buy a standard Wiimote and see if that helps?