rllmuk
Harsin

Xbox Game Pass

1 hour ago, matt0 said:

I'm curious to see how I get on with it. Heard so much good stuff about the series over the years and I've got a soft spot for Shenmue 1+2, but I'm not sure I'll get on with the humour and tonal shifts.

Definetly going to give it a fair shake though.

It’s nothing like Shenmue. Way too many random fights against faceless goons, and self consciously ‘zany’ humour for my tastes.

23 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

I gave 'theHunter: Call of the Wild' a try, expecting a janky, rough-looking old game. But it's really beautiful. The sense of desolation is very much my thing too. I feel like a Republican voter for even downloading it, and the entire trophy-hunting premise seems questionable enough to make me feel somewhat guilty for enjoying it, but it's something I can imagine myself spending a lot of time playing.

I'm appreciating these tranquil, desolate games more than some of the big-name games I had my eye on before subscribing. Outer Wilds, Bard's Tale Trilogy, Lonely Mountains Downhill and now theHunter have eclipsed stuff like Rise of the Tomb Raider and Devil May Cry 5 for me. I'm queuing up What Remains of Edith Finch next.

It's very very good. It was slated to fall off Game Pass and then didn't. The 2019 edition is on sale.for 15 quid and I'm tempted to buy it in case it does leave.

10 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

It's very very good. It was slated to fall off Game Pass and then didn't. The 2019 edition is on sale.for 15 quid and I'm tempted to buy it in case it does leave.

I noticed that and was tempted myself. But I also noticed that only some of the DLC is included. I think you still have to buy another three expanded maps at £5 a pop on top? All of which is more than you're getting with the base game on Game Pass, of course, but still.

Just now, ann coulter said:

I noticed that and was tempted myself. But I also noticed that only some of the DLC is included. I think you still have to buy another three expanded maps at £5 a pop on top? All of which is more than you're getting with the base game on Game Pass, of course, but still.

Tbh there's so much game there anyway I'm not sure they're needed. I think it's cheaper than the base game as well, which is odd.

What happens if you buy the DLC, then the base game leaves Gamepass?

36 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Tbh there's so much game there anyway I'm not sure they're needed. I think it's cheaper than the base game as well, which is odd.

Have you noticed at all that whenever you get off a vehicle, your field of view becomes squint? It's doing my head in.

29 minutes ago, JPL said:

You need to cough up and buy the base game. There is a discount whilst the game is on Game Pass.

3 hours ago, matt0 said:

I'm curious to see how I get on with it. Heard so much good stuff about the series over the years and I've got a soft spot for Shenmue 1+2, but I'm not sure I'll get on with the humour and tonal shifts.

Definetly going to give it a fair shake though.

It's much better than any shenmue. 

• Upvote 6

7 hours ago, JPL said:

Same as what happens if buy any DLC and sell a physical copy of a game.

Two Point Hospital is superb. They absolutely nailed the Theme Hospital feel. It really feels like playing a modernised Theme Hospital with more sophisticated customisation.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ann coulter said:

Two Point Hospital is superb. They absolutely nailed the Theme Hospital feel. It really feels like playing a modernised Theme Hospital with more sophisticated customisation.

Has this been added to Game Pass?

I use a spreadsheet of gamepass/other subscription services/purchases that I have. I helps me prioritise which games to give some time to based on how new/close to being removed etc. and review scores. As I play things, I mark them as played and the game gets dropped down the list. It's usually pretty useful as a guide but a few games have been sitting at the top for some time that I just cannot like, so are getting artificially shunted down the list so that I can psychologically move on.

Age of empires II: Definitive edition.

I just can't enjoy it. I played loads of AoE 1 when it came out but this re-release of 2, I just can't enjoy. I enjoy the empire building and allocation of resources to different tasks but the combat I just find incredibly dull and tedious. And if anything, the focus seems to be more on combat in 2 than it was in the first game. I guess the game I want it to be is a real-time civilisation, with simplifed combat, which it isn't. The quality of strategy games on game pass is currently very high and having recently played frost punk, I don't think the comparison helps AoE II.

Halo Reach remastered.

Again, a remaster that just leaves me cold. Possibly also suffers from poor timing, as I started playing the magnificent Titanfall 2 at the same time. Having not enjoyed a Halo game since ODST, I guess I must finally admit that they aren't for me any more.

Devil may cry 5.

Overwhelmed, overwhelmed and overwhelmed some more. I just have no idea what is going on, what buttons I should be pressing and the game isn't capturing my imagination enough to make me want to learn.

Monster hunter world.

Similar to DMC5, I think the problem is the complexity that I just can't conquer. I've started playing about 5 times now and I really do think that there is a game here that I can love, but it is just completely overwhelming as a new monster hunter player. So much is thrown at the player so early on, that even starting a quest seems like an insurmountable challenge, let alone having the correct equipment, meal, potions etc. to actually successfully complete it. I assume that with a coach/sherpa, I could overcome a lot of the barrier to entry so if anyone wants to volunteer to play with me for a couple of hours to talk me through the basics and hold my hand for a few quests, I'd be up for that.

• Upvote 1

I’ve now sat through three separate introductory movies in kingdom Hearts 3. Twenty minutes in of pointless drivel I get to.:. Tilt A to walk forwards.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

How do you tilt A?

With difficulty, but it’s ok: I’ve bounced off yet another Square Enix cutscene heavy “game” - just as I expected to.

There are so few of the many games available I actually want to play, but Gamepass is amazing for trying things you’d never have bought with a limited budget.

Currently switching between Children of Morta, Plague Tales and Gears 5. CoM would probably have been my GOTY last year if I’d played it sooner. Just completely bewitching.

Yakuza Zero is up now. It's only £14.99 to buy as well, which is tempting. I've never tried one of the game before though, so I'll see how much I enjoy it before thinking about a purchase. 

• Upvote 3

I like the Gamepass Reward challenges, it’s encouraging me to try games I’d normally ignore. I spent a good few enjoyable hours with State of Decay 2 and thoroughly enjoyed DMC5 despite the awful characters and storyline!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, footle said:

I’ve now sat through three separate introductory movies in kingdom Hearts 3. Twenty minutes in of pointless drivel I get to.:. Tilt A to walk forwards.

I loved KH1 and 2 (a bit), so I bought KH3 on day 1, especially as the kids love the setting. Had to sell the game after about 7 hours. It's cutscence after cutscene, a story which makes no sense at all unless you read 49046732 pages of drivel on various fansites and the fighting consists of pressing a button whilst being thrown around by the enemy, the game mechanic or something else. It's a complete turd of a game. A nice and well polished turd, but it stinks.

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, p b said:

I loved KH1 and 2 (a bit), so I bought KH3 on day 1, especially as the kids love the setting. Had to sell the game after about 7 hours. It's cutscence after cutscene, a story which makes no sense at all unless you read 49046732 pages of drivel on various fansites and the fighting consists of pressing a button whilst being thrown around by the enemy, the game mechanic or something else. It's a complete turd of a game. A nice and well polished turd, but it stinks.

I got it on game pass (getting too poor to buy games on release unless it's something I save for haha!) I think I spent about 2 hours in Herc's world and it felt very stop and start..... Fight cut-scene, run a little, cut-scene (Rinse and repeat) Admittedly I did hunt down all of the chests in the zone, I've enjoyed the little snippets I've played however I can see the constant stopping and starting being a pain in the ass. The over use of cut-scenes is why I never finished MGS 4 on the PS3.

1 hour ago, p b said:

This is useful as I was considering downloading this for my daughter, but there is no way she would tolerate endless cutscenes (takes after her dad!). Life is too short. 

14 hours ago, footle said:

I'm having the same issue with KH1, combined with a lack of direction.  And the fact that early on it spends time being a 3d platformer with PSX era controls and camera.

That and constantly respawning enemies when I'm trying to explore the first town and I'm thinking this game might not be for me.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

I'm having the same issue with KH1, combined with a lack of direction.  And the fact that early on it spends time being a 3d platformer with PSX era controls and camera.

That and constantly respawning enemies when I'm trying to explore the first town and I'm thinking this game might not be for me.

The best thing about KH1 is that you don't know how complicated the story turns out to be...

• Upvote 3