rllmuk
Harsin

Xbox Game Pass

36 minutes ago, Orbital2060 said:

Didnt work out for Death Stranding. Has that even passed 1 million copies ww? It bombed in the UK charts. We may have passed a threshold where a lot of people dont want to pay those 50 pounds any more. It will be interesting to see how Last of Us 2 fares.

I’m not sure but a quick google suggests it came in at number 2 only beaten by call of duty? That doesn’t really sound like a bomb?

I don’t think we’re seeing the rapid decline of people buying individual games just yet, maybe in a few years but “threshold” is a bit strong.

3 hours ago, replicant said:

The business model of relying on a single 50 quid sale is dying. 

There’s all sorts of alternate business models out there now already. But for big-budget triple AAA games, individual sales seem to be really healthy and that model seems to largely work for devs and publishers. 

3 hours ago, replicant said:

Lara isn't a "white saviour".  She is a treasure hunter - no matter the skin colour.

Guess I just imagined the bits where she solves all the villagers' problems.

Fucking hell man, it's indefensible.

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, Orbital2060 said:

And there is nothing inflammatory about Revivals post

Try reading it again. The last time I got that upset about videogames my balls hadn't quite dropped yet.

27 minutes ago, Orbital2060 said:

Because theyre not even comparable when it comes to the amount of games that are launched day and date with their release elsewhere, its not just 1p games.

2019 was incredible for the amount of indie games launching straight into game pass.

That's true. Just a question of how much effort the companies put into it. Sony clearly aren't emphasising it as much but it Is basically the same concept. Just no one knows about it. 

I love Game Pass, and I’ll probably get the next Xbox as my new ‘main’ console (secondary to the Switch still, obvs). My preference this gen was PS4 originally, as Microsoft fucked up the One launch so bad, but I’m leaning back towards the Xbox now.

Having Game Pass for Xbox and PC, and the possibility of Project XCloud allowing me to enjoy those games streamed on my iPad or Mac in future, is a huge interest. I probably won’t renew my PS Plus sub when the time comes as it’s a bit crap for me really. I actually looked into subbing to PS Now when we stayed with the in-laws for a week over Christmas, but it‘s Windows only :rolleyes:

Competition is great though. It was Sony who started to give away games with their service first, which led to Games with Gold and then Game Pass.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

That's true. Just a question of how much effort the companies put into it. Sony clearly aren't emphasising it as much but it Is basically the same concept. Just no one knows about it. 

How is it basically the same concept? If you want to see the scale of the difference and what customers of each service actually get...

Option 1:

Per month: All brand new first party games free on day of release, A selection of brand new indie games free on day of release, A random selection of various third party games. Typically anything from 8-12 games a month was pretty standard in 2019. I don't remember any first party titles being removed from the service.

Option 2:

Per month: No brand new first party games on day of release, No brand new indie games on day of release. A random selection of various first and third party games. Typically 3-4 per month in total.

October 2019:

God of War - 18 months after the UK release date

Grand Theft Auto V

inFAMOUS Second Son - 5 years and seven months after the UK release date

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End - 3 years and five months after the UK release date

Here's the interesting thing with those four in October, Sony changed the way new games are added to the service in this month and all newly added first party PS Now games have a 'promotion' period of availability for three months and all of the four above were removed on the 2nd of Jan 2020. The EU blog states: Each month, the service will add a new selection of popular games that will be available for a limited period.

November 2019:

Persona 5

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

Hollow Knight

December 2019:

PUBG

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

F1 2019

January 2020:

Horizon Zero Dawn - 2 years and eight months after the UK release date

Overcooked 2

Uncharted: Lost Legacy - 2 years and two months after the UK release date

So come April 2020, None of God of War, Infamous SS, Uncharted 4, P5, HZD or Uncharted Lost Legacy will be on their subscription list going forward.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

Guess I just imagined the bits where she solves all the villagers' problems.

Fucking hell man, it's indefensible.

It is a videogame. A form of entertainment. Seriously....

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

18 minutes ago, Revival said:

How is it basically the same concept? If you want to see the scale of the difference and what customers of each service actually get...

Option 1:

Per month: All brand new first party games free on day of release, A selection of brand new indie games free on day of release, A random selection of various third party games. Typically anything from 8-12 games a month was pretty standard in 2019. I don't remember any first party titles being removed from the service.

Option 2:

Per month: No brand new first party games on day of release, No brand new indie games on day of release. A random selection of various first and third party games. Typically 3-4 per month in total.

October 2019:

God of War - 18 months after the UK release date

Grand Theft Auto V

inFAMOUS Second Son - 5 years and seven months after the UK release date

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End - 3 years and five months after the UK release date

Here's the interesting thing with those four in October, Sony changed the way new games are added to the service in this month and all newly added first party PS Now games have a 'promotion' period of availability for three months and all of the four above were removed on the 2nd of Jan 2020. The EU blog states: Each month, the service will add a new selection of popular games that will be available for a limited period.

November 2019:

Persona 5

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

Hollow Knight

December 2019:

PUBG

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

F1 2019

January 2020:

Horizon Zero Dawn - 2 years and eight months after the UK release date

Overcooked 2

Uncharted: Lost Legacy - 2 years and two months after the UK release date

Calm down and go to gamefaqs. 

• Downvote 4

Just now, Fry Crayola said:

Ah, so that means it's immune to criticism! I forgot that rule.

Of course it is not immunte to criticsm.  As long as it has some form of borderline rationality behind it.  Looking for nefarious political meaning behind a Tomb Raider game videogame isn't.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Just now, deerokus said:

Calm down and go to gamefaqs. 

Why should I go to gamefaqs? You're the one who chooses not to learn anything.

4 minutes ago, replicant said:

Of course it is not immunte to criticsm.  As long as it has some form of borderline rationality behind it.  Looking for nefarious political meaning behind a Tomb Raider game videogame isn't.

Nefarious? No. Accidentally uncomfortable, sure.

The more we consider games to be throwaway pieces of fluff, the more we have to put up with shit. Demand better.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Nefarious? No. Accidentally uncomfortable, sure.

The more we consider games to be throwaway pieces of fluff, the more we have to put up with shit. Demand better.

Uncomfortable?  Not at all.  Next up - complaining about Mario helping out the Mushroom Kingdom. A fat Italian Plumber solving the Toads' problems. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

Just to add, that Goose game is on Gamepass, as are several over wonderful indie titles. If there is anything Gamepass has opened my eyes up to it's Indie games. Old Man's Journey, Abzu, Edith Finch, Outer Wilds and so on.

I am fed up of the same AAA open world stuff we seem to get these days and shorter, storyline driven games are a real boon for me.

I tried the "3-months for £1" deal a month ago, and it didn't work as I'd already done it a few months prior when it was first announced.

However, I tried it again yesterday as my 1-month Gold sub had ran out, and it worked. Great!

Just a heads-up for anyone that thought it only worked once, I think a Christmas deal will allow you to do it a second time.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Fletch said:

You could be right, I can't wait to hear more info about it. They had their issues but I loved the Fable series. 

I’ve been playing Fable II recently and despite the bugs I’m enjoying as much as I did back in 2008.

15 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

cdkeys back with the 3 months of game pass for £7!? https://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/memberships/3-month-xbox-game-pass-xbox-one

If you're not on ultimate, remeber stack FIRST, then convert!

If I don't currently have Live *OR* Game Pass, if I buy 12 of these (giving me 36 months of standard Game Pass) can I then do the £1 ultimate conversion (which is on my dashboard) to give me 36 months of Game Pass AND Xbox Live?

Or is this only good for those who already have an Xbox Live sub to which they want to add Game Pass?

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

If I don't currently have Live *OR* Game Pass, if I buy 12 of these (giving me 36 months of standard Game Pass) can I then do the £1 ultimate conversion

yes, stack it to 36, then convert, it will give you 36 months ultimate.

it says somewhere on the faq bit of the ultimate page.

So if I’m already on Ultimate, do those 3 month Game Pass codes give me 2 months extra Ultimate, or are they essentially worthless?

2 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

So if I’m already on Ultimate, do those 3 month Game Pass codes give me 2 months extra Ultimate, or are they essentially worthless?

They give you two months, so you could extend to the max of three years again. Keep doing this and we should be good for the entire upcoming generation :D

• Upvote 1

works out as a month of ultimate for like £3.50...cant really argue lol

Is anyone here using gamepass exclusively on PC? Do you need Ultimate, or can you get away with redeeming a code for Xbox?

14 minutes ago, Lyrical Donut said:

Is anyone here using gamepass exclusively on PC? Do you need Ultimate, or can you get away with redeeming a code for Xbox?

You don’t need Ultimate, the beta is £3.99 a month, rising to £7.99 after an unspecified time. But you’re much better off getting 12+ Xbox Live and adding the £1 Ultimate trial, as it’ll work out cheaper(!).

• Upvote 1