rllmuk
Harsin

Xbox Game Pass

The parallels with the 2013 plan are there though. Game Pass discourages trading or loaning of games as you don't own any of them and it won't work without an online connection. Weren't these the major issues at the time ? It's good that it monetizes older games and gives a cut to the publishers/devs rather than cut them out completely as retail has done for the past decade which I took to be the driving force behind the original plan rather than the "fuck the gamers" message that the media ran with.

Imagine E3 2018 they announce that they are dropping the Gold subscription for online for Game Pass users to incentivize it's appeal further. Whilst Sony announce another PS+ price increase. I can dream.

From Phil's statement

We’ve only scratched the surface of the opportunity this new model brings to the industry and what we can deliver to our fans. We firmly believe Xbox Game Pass will be a catalyst to create new opportunities for game developers and publishers to innovate in the way games are developed and delivered, leading to entirely new ways to play.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/01/23/xbox-game-pass-expands/

If this becomes the success they hope for I can see episodic content becoming a major part of their plans. The Hitman/Telltale/Life is Strange model seems made for this.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Super Craig said:

The big thing is that someone like me, who has no interest in adding another sub to my monthly bills, can carry on exactly as I did before.

Exactly. Giving people the choice of how they buy and play their games doesn't really have a down side. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Fargo said:

It’s not always online either. As far as I know you can download a game and play it for a month without connecting to Xbox Live again. 

And that was really the worst problem for me, my internet dies briefly probably at least twice a day.  I barely notice normally, but the original plan would have meant XBone games exiting without saving the milisecond the connection dropped.

Plus services are down a lot, PSN was for large parts of last night.

Definitely could be the start of widespread changes if it is successful (which I think it will be).  You really only need to be buying two Microsoft titles a year for it to almost be a no brainer (assuming you can also get some use out of the other back catalogue titles available).

I've had a look at the list and there are quite a few older titles I would definitely play if/when I joined. 

What do we think will happen to the Microsoft published titles such as the Forza series which aren't currently on the list?  I assume they will aim to be added to fill in the gaps. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Super Craig said:

The big thing is that someone like me, who has no interest in adding another sub to my monthly bills, can carry on exactly as I did before.

As long as the other options remain then great, I can let it pass me by and others who can make better and more use of it than I could can lap it up. I dread the potential time when offering(s) like these are all that's available, it'd likely kill my interest in current gaming off entirely just because it doesn't fit how I play games. 

But while I hate the idea of game rental (even PS+ really annoys me for example, although I'm OK with "owning" digital games such that I do), I'm incredibly rarely a day one purchaser so it might be handy to dip in on those occasions where - usually for online stuff - if you're not playing for the first few weeks then you're missing out on the best of it. 

its an interesting approach as will cannibalise game sales, people can simply 'rent' a game for a month on launch and in many cases will be done with it in that time, they're obviously banking on more people paying the subs longer term.

sales figures will be totally irrelevant for MS first party titles, digital already makes it hard to see clearly and this will just dilute boxed sales even further.

I like the idea, feels a bold move and Sony will have to follow suit I think, Nintendo on the other hand don't.

1 hour ago, McCoy said:

Definitely could be the start of widespread changes if it is successful (which I think it will be).  You really only need to be buying two Microsoft titles a year for it to almost be a no brainer (assuming you can also get some use out of the other back catalogue titles available).

It's also the kind of thing that will really help the likes of Sea of Thieves - where you need that playerbase, but people might not pay £40-£60 just to find out if they get on with it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

its an interesting approach as will cannibalise game sales, people can simply 'rent' a game for a month on launch and in many cases will be done with it in that time, they're obviously banking on more people paying the subs longer term.

sales figures will be totally irrelevant for MS first party titles, digital already makes it hard to see clearly and this will just dilute boxed sales even further.

I like the idea, feels a bold move and Sony will have to follow suit I think, Nintendo on the other hand don't.

I hadn't thought about simply paying for one month and then cancelling. It essentially works out at a similar cost to buying new and selling on once done.

2 hours ago, Revival said:

Blimey. The FAQ on the website and the story on The Verge yesterday implied that they wouldn't work but I'm happy to have been wrong about this. 

Is this game pass shareable in the way that live gold is? As in, as long as the account that's purchased it has one Xbox set as the home console, then it can be used both on that console and on another console when you sign in with the account that made the purchase. That is how it works with gold, right?

think so based on the FAQ on the site, but hopefully a existing subscriber can confirm. Certainly though, the account holder should be able to access it anywhere. Other users on the home console ought to also have access.

4 hours ago, Gotters said:

Microsoft's recent big budget efforts have clearly had a online service-based focus, so this move benefits that type of game design by lowering the initial entry cost, they'll make more money from post-launch monetisation due to the larger player base they should now attract to try their games, and if somebody gets hooked on said games, they will likely remain subscribed to Game Pass indefinitely as a result.

Less of a net positive for the more traditional big budget solely single player offline games, but those are being phased out by the big publishers anyway.

15 hours ago, Revival said:

and with that.  I'm in.  Just got a PC recently too.

Really good move by MS.  They're really pulling out the stops to get people back onto the platform.  the next thing (logical next step in my eyes) is for game pass to appear on PC where the Xbox 360 titles are emulated like they are on xbox. 

with the above and an EA access pass, I'll be pretty much set.  Ps4 for the Sony exclusives, everything else on Xbox (and PC if mine can handle it)

Quick heads up to check on the MS site for a discounted Game Pass offer.

I was offered a month for £3 so thought I'd give it a stab only for it to afterwards still be offering me another month for £3. Bought again and checked and it has indeed stacked. Took a good look through the list of games available on it and there are 15 or so that I'd quite like to play (never mind another 4-5 that I've got physical copies of that I can flog) so I've now stacked 12 of the things for less than it was probably going to cost me to grab Crackdown 3 at launch. Bonza ^_^.   

Here you go (you'll need to log in to get / see the discount, shows as £7.99 for me untill I do): https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/p/xbox-game-pass/cfq7ttc0k6l8/0001?wa=wsignin1.0&lc=2057

8 minutes ago, womble9 said:

Quick heads up to check on the MS site for a discounted Game Pass offer.

I was offered a month for £3 so thought I'd give it a stab only for it to afterwards still be offering me another month for £3. Bought again and checked and it has indeed stacked. Took a good look through the list of games available on it and there are 15 or so that I'd quite like to play (never mind another 4-5 that I've got physical copies of that I can flog) so I've now stacked 12 of the things for less than it was probably going to cost me to grab Crackdown 3 at launch. Bonza ^_^.   

Link!

• Upvote 2

I see on the list that there are a few new 3rd party games coming to it soon (Rime, nice) but is there any sort of set rule that they seem to follow re adding / deleting games ie adding monthly / deleting after a set time etc?? 

Lots of games have an expiry time listed - usually a year after it’s added. I think first party MS and bc 360/OGxbox are there to stay. 

Obviously fuckonami are pulling MGS V as they have a new MGS coming out and WWE is being replaced with the next iteration (17)

I went through my library on the One the other night, excluding 3 or 4 games, out of 400 I haven't played any that i've owned for more than 12 months. I ten to play the shit out of a game for a few months and move onto another handful. A subscription service for me is so much better than buying.

• Upvote 2

I forgot to cancel my month for a quid offer and it renewed this month but I'm not too concerned as Fable Anniversary and Rime have just gone up as well as Halo Wars 2 so plenty of new stuff to play. 

thank you Letter Quest for letting me know that a ‘qin’ is a Chinese zither consisting of an oblong, curved wooden box with strings stretched over it that are stopped with one hand and plucked with the other