rllmuk
Harsin

Xbox Game Pass

So I gather I've missed all the various deals on getting Game Pass on the cheap (for PC), right? How much is the monthly sub?

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

So I gather I've missed all the various deals on getting Game Pass on the cheap (for PC), right? How much is the monthly sub?

It still says the $1 deal is on,  at xbox.com.

@TehStu Ah, ok. So how would I go about doing this then? My old gold account from the 360 lapsed a long time ago, would I need to buy Gold for that first? How do I then redeem it (i.e. in what order etc). Then I'd need to take the upgrade offer and it'll give me Ultimate access (so I'll have it for PC). Is that right?

@Gabe if its just PC, you can get just that - https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-game-pass#join

But, as we don't know what the none beta price is ,it might be best to buy a couple of years worth of gold (could be cheaper elsewhere  - https://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/memberships/12-month-xbox-live-gold-membership-xbox-one-360 ), you can redeem the code on the microsoft store, it will just register it to you account, THEN, go join ultimate, as it will convert all months into one by stacking to a maximum of 36 months.

Thanks @5R7, I'll do that. Plus, as others have said, it may mean I'll get Scarlett when it comes out - it's a good way to tie people into the ecosystem.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/06/25/tune-in-id-xbox-game-pass-2/

The next ID@Xbox Game Pass showcase is just around the corner! Tune in Thursday, June 27 at 5:00 p.m. BST on the 

Xbox YouTube channel to hear about great games coming to Xbox Game Pass from independent developers.

In this second showcase, you’ll get more announcements and looks at gameplay from titles we showed E3 2019 such as Star Renegades, Dead Static Drive, and Unto the End. We also caught up with some of the developers who are excited to share more about their games with you. This includes Bloober Team on Blair Witch, Thunder Lotus Games on Spiritfarer, and more!

• Upvote 4

So I bought some Xbox Live credit and applied it to my account but the Xbox store is completely broken and won't let me select the upgrade for Ultimate. The PC app only lets you select the PC beta access too, so I can't get it through that. Is it broken for anybody else?

you should be able to get it on the microsoft store on windows, search for ultimate and it should come up, then you should be able to join

1 minute ago, 5R7 said:

you should be able to get it on the microsoft store on windows, search for ultimate and it should come up, then you should be able to join

Yeah, the MS store is broken (page formatting) and when you click on the 'Join for £1' nothing happens. Tried all various ways and no dice. <sad face>

ah looks like the store is down, could be worth trying toMorrow, or try live chat with microsoft to see if they can change your account.the were able to fix an issue i had when the store failed!

Ah, well lord knows how, but after clicking through about 20 different links I found one that worked and I'm now all set. Hurrah!

Is anyone finding the download speeds on PC absolutely atrocious? I’ve been downloading Metro Exodus for nearly 3 hours now, and I’m still only at 87%.

Sure, it’s 55GB, but I have 350Mb broadband and Steam would download a similarly-sized game in half an hour. It seems to go between half max speed (20MB/s) to 0B/s, like it’s doing it in small chunks and stopping for a bit. So odd.

18 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Is anyone finding the download speeds on PC absolutely atrocious? I’ve been downloading Metro Exodus for nearly 3 hours now, and I’m still only at 87%.

Sure, it’s 55GB, but I have 350Mb broadband and Steam would download a similarly-sized game in half an hour. It seems to go between half max speed (20MB/s) to 0B/s, like it’s doing it in small chunks and stopping for a bit. So odd.

You lucky bastard. 

Just a couple months ago it would take me over a week of continuous downloading to download a 40gb game.

Now it takes me about 8 hours. Which i find amazing.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

I understand the windows store wasn't really designed for the gaming load,  and it sounds like it's being split up in future.  Pretty sure I read there's an insider update with that functionality in place. 

20 hours ago, Paulando said:

I was having similar issues. Initially when I started downloading Metro I was getting my full speed i.e close to 50Mb/sec (400mb), but I made the mistake of cancelling it and then deciding to download later. It seemed to lose the plot and even thought it says it cancelled, it always started from 9% stage (where I cancelled). From that point on, downloads on the Windows Store (for everything) started crawling where the speed would go up to a few mb then crash back to 0 again. I did a whole bunch of stuff like clearing the Windows Store cache, playing around with windows settings regarding bandwidth throttling, but in the end after a few days it seemed to sort itself out. I'd recommend clearing the cache though and giving your PC a restart. Other than that though, just wait and see what happens.

Regarding those window store download speeds. It doesn't work like the Xbox One does it? If you have anything open on the Xbox then downloads are really quite slow until you close everything, at which point you get maximum download speeds. 

I know it's a bit different with the PC as you are bound to have some programs open. But maybe if there is anything "major" running, it affects the download speeds?

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

Should we be reading anything into the lack of Games with Gold announcement for next month? 

Pretty sure they’re normally announced by now so went to take a look to see what they are and nothing. It made me wonder the same the same as you. 

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Nah they'll prolly be announced today or tomorrow.

I hope so.

As new BC titles have stopped, I imagine that 360 games will either be existing BC games that have not yet been given away, or they'll be dropped altogether. But doing the latter out of the blue wouldn't really be on, so I'm expecting the former.

I would imagine that there are plenty of 360 games still to offer through GwG that haven't already been on the service that are also bc. 

Yeah, I reckon we'll get 360 games until the next gen arrival whereupon the games will swap to being 2x Bone and 2x New Console. 

For some reason I never downloaded the Orange Box when it was on GwG, so I really appreciated Portal: Still Alive now in June, especially as it dovetailed with BridgeConstructor x Portal that came to game pass at the same time. Id never even heard of that, and its awesome. I dont think it was a coincidence that these were added at the same time as Outer Wilds coming to game pass, they obviously have some gameplay mechanics in common: quantum tunnelling, and the signalscope which is another great invention in line with the gravity gun and portal gun from Valves games. I think its great that they can curate games across both services like this.

Also, Guacamelee! 2 is a stone cold classic, I think that game just hit my platforming sweet spot like few other games have done.

• Upvote 2