Xbox Game Pass

Harsin

Quick question - I have a 3 month trial for Game Pass. If I use it, can I still do that £1 upgrade thing afterwards? Or is that only for people who haven't been on Game Pass before?

@K the latter, but you can still upgrade for a certain amount later.  I'm not sure how much, can only find the value in dollars, but it seems to be the cost of one month of GPU.

18 minutes ago, Popo said:

@K the latter, but you can still upgrade for a certain amount later.  I'm not sure how much, can only find the value in dollars, but it seems to be the cost of one month of GPU.

Thanks - so if I wanted to get my money's worth, it'd probably be best to extend my Xbox live subscription, upgrade through the special offer, then add the 3 month trial code on top to extend it a bit further.

45 minutes ago, K said:

Thanks - so if I wanted to get my money's worth, it'd probably be best to extend my Xbox live subscription, upgrade through the special offer, then add the 3 month trial code on top to extend it a bit further.

@metallicfrodo is right and you won't be able to use the trial after you've nabbed yourself a GPU sub, but if you did the 3 months trial, bought 2 years of Gold (£39.99 from CD Keys) and upgraded for the cost of 1 month of GPU (£10.99) the total cost would be £90.97 for 29 months* of GPU (about £3.13 per month).  Or sack off the trial, buy 3 years and convert for £1 for £120.97 (or £3.36 per month).  Do check my numbers!

So yes, sack off the trial and buy 3 years - basically the same cost to you per month, but you've locked it in for longer, and Microsoft could withdraw the conversion offer in the future.

*You get a bonus month of Gold when you add a code if you opt to auto-renew, from what I recall - doesn't work if you buy 3 years' worth, because you won't be able to add the third year of Gold to your account (3 years is the maximum you can have on hand).

On 22/07/2021 at 13:34, Ry said:

Damn Atomicorps is really good. 

Its like a bullet hell shmup crossed with Enter the Gungeon. Gets bloody hard later on. 

It's great, absolutely love it on Switch. It is nails though, gets proper frantic. I've played it a load and completed a yearly cycle a couple of times but don't feel I've seen half of what it has to offer, in terms of content or mechanics.

I just realized I have 1 year left of that $1 + cheap 12m gold codes to get 3 years GPU deal. I don't think I'll be doing Ultimate when it comes time to pay proper. We're constantly playing GP stuff, but I rarely stream, I don't really care about EA titles and the only perk I really used (though I claim them all) was 6 months Spotify.

2 hours ago, Nosejam said:

Blimey Atomicrops is absolute crack. Hades x Stardew Valley. So good!

It really is. I love Hades but to me this is better. Bit of a cliche but there's no fat on it whatsoever; straight in and BOOM.

Had a go on Xbox for the first time tonight and it's gone pretty well:

E7AhPhlXIAQ9VQ0.jpg

I've played a few games but finding it a bit overwhelming. Expand, plough, choose a seed, water everything, fertilise and pick the veg, urgh. And then go off and shoot the baddies, all against a time. My day job is less stressful.

I'm looking forward to Hades, hope it's simpler.

On 22/07/2021 at 21:09, Fierce Poodle said:

Is Blinx really that bad?

It was just meh, I played it for a couple of hrs back in the day and it just didn't grab me. It wasn't BAD it was just run of mill. Can't recall how much of a fanfare MS gave it, but that might be why it was so reviled.

It isn't deserving of a strong reaction in either direction.

EDIT - I feel Kameo falls into this category as well - although I enjoyed Kameo a smidge more :D

26 minutes ago, Clipper said:

It was just meh, I played it for a couple of hrs back in the day and it just didn't grab me. It wasn't BAD it was just run of mill. Can't recall how much of a fanfare MS gave it, but that might be why it was so reviled.

It isn't deserving of a strong reaction in either direction.

EDIT - I feel Kameo falls into this category as well - although I enjoyed Kameo a smidge more :D

Blinx wasn’t terrible at the time, it was just mediocre.

The issue was at the time it was still

a big thing to have a signature character platformer for your new console platform and this was the Xbox version. It was no Mario.

FWIW mind I really liked Kameo…Blinx will

be interesting to revisit all these years later if nothing else.

13 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

Blinx wasn’t terrible at the time, it was just mediocre.

The issue was at the time it was still

a big thing to have a signature character platformer for your new console platform and this was the Xbox version. It was no Mario.

FWIW mind I really liked Kameo…Blinx will

be interesting to revisit all these years later if nothing else.

That's how I remember it. Microsoft was still the new kid on the block, the wannabe. The makers of Office and Windows wanting to make a console. Ridiculous. And even though Halo blew everyone's socks off, Blinx was still in that early phase that made people look at its by numbers, uninspired, and try hard character design that it became a way to laugh at try hard Microsoft.

Nowadays we have Knack, from the makers of the Walkman.

Last Stop is decent.  From a general storytelling perspective it’s fine. It feels very familiar, taking lots from similar games - essentially short walks between narrative sections and some QTE/interactive bits. There’s even an peculiar rhythm mini game thing.  Towards the end it feels quite like a few games from the late 90’s/early 2000’s.

It’s a bit cheap at times (wheels not rotating on moving cars, spelling and pronunciation errors), but generally plays well and looks fine. Some of the voice casting feels way off, though - it’s quite jarring hearing certain voices coming from certain character models.

5ish hours to play through. Doesn’t  overstay it’s welcome. Check it out.

5 hours ago, Stanley said:

Better than Hades? Only Dead Cells does that for me, will have to check this out prompto. 

I was a tad euphoric after that good run but it's at least an equal to it, for me anyway. The slow build and synergies are more on my wavelength. Taking nothing from Hades, is brilliant. I just *enjoy* this more.

57 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

First it got an fps boost now a full fat 4K/60 next gen upgrade.

Also on sale for a tenner at the moment.

Whaaaaaaaaat :omg: One of the best shooters ever made. I'm going to play it again!

31 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

I get Atomicrops is a low budget indie game but I don't think I can get over how ugly it is. Horrid looking game. 

It’s an interesting attempt at splicing two or even three apparently disparate genres (farming/life sim and shooter) and I was hoping that the order and chaos would at some point click and coalesce into something unique and addictive, but I just didn’t find myself enjoying it. I must admit that most of my short time playing it I was a bit confused - plant potatoes, water them (automatically) whilst shooting some stuff … that seemed pretty much it. 

I won’t even attempt to compare it to Hades  because I saw zero similarity in both game play or mechanics, other than you die and restart like every roguelike.

I didn't get on with Atomicrops either. The ploughing, planting, watering side of things seemed really messy, I was never sure what I was doing and targeting a specific square was too fiddly.

Then the shooting was just okay and your weapon breaking after every day took away all the fun of having an evolving load out in a Roguelike.

My main reaction to it was remembering how much I liked Nuclear Throne, and how fiddly and dull this felt in comparison.