Xbox Game Pass

19 minutes ago, Majora said:

Bloodstained had been in the leaving soon section of the Gamepass app for quite a while but I agree they could probably do more to notify people.

The game pass app sends a notification about games leaving soon. Would be handy if that same notification also popped up on the Xbox itself.

On 02/03/2021 at 14:32, Garwoofoo said:

Games leaving GamePass "soon" (i.e. mid-month):

Witcher 3
Kona
Alvastia Chronicles
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Astrologaster

Bloodstained's been on my list for ages, I really should have got around to that by now. Wonder if it's doable in a couple of weeks.

^2nd. I was close.  TBH yeah, it needs to be a bit more obvious on the dashboard. IT's in the gamepass section but it's easily missed.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

The game pass app sends a notification about games leaving soon. Would be handy if that same notification also popped up on the Xbox itself.

Have you got the Gamepass app? 

That sends notifications to my phone when stuff is leaving.

3 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

I wish they'd hurry up and announce that Sekiro is coming to Gamepass, I am convinced that it's coming but am really tempted to grab it at the moment.

If you buy it, they'll announce it the very next day. This is the way.

Just gave in and signed up for a month of EA Play on Steam a couple of weeks back but considering that meant I got to play Fallen Order through for under a quid I'm not too upset. Means I don't need to try and rush other games just because they're there.

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

If you buy it, they'll announce it the very next day. This is the way.

Well, of course.  I wonder if it'll work if I order it and cancel before it's delivered?

I’m really enjoying Journey to the Savage Planet. It’s like a cheerful and chunky Technicolor bite-sized Metroid Prime with knowing winks to the tropes and conventions of the genre laced throughout it.

Only around 10 hours long too, so should be easy enough to complete before it leaves the service in a week or so.

Yet again for about the tenth time since I got a Series X, Game Pass delivers a little hidden gem that would otherwise have completely passed me by.

8 hours ago, Mr Do 71 said:

It appears game sharing on PC is not possible as it links to one EA account, not surprising but I’d hoped it would be. 

3 hours ago, pinholestar said:

I’m really enjoying Journey to the Savage Planet. It’s like a cheerful and chunky Technicolor bite-sized Metroid Prime with knowing winks to the tropes and conventions of the genre laced throughout it.

Only around 10 hours long too, so should be easy enough to complete before it leaves the service in a week or so.

Yet again for about the tenth time since I got a Series X Game Pass delivers a little hidden gem that would otherwise have completely passed me by.

Great game, unfortunately Google bought the developer then shut them down. 

Interesting tidbit about Nier Automata's recent release on PC Game Pass - Apparently, it's the 'Become As Gods' version.

That in itself isn't a big deal (it's the version that comes with all the DLC). What is a big deal is that, well, it's not the version of the game that's on Steam (which, uh, hasn't been updated for about two years now).

And initial impressions is that it's a fair bit different out of the box compared to the vanilla Automata Steam release. Stuttering is fixed, Ultrawide works, and provided you tweak your settings (AA is still a killer on this game at 8x, I'm guessing it's multisample bullshit), it'll run well on low-end hardware. There's a 60fps cap and you won't have the fancy texture replacement shenanigans of FAR, but OTOH it sounds like a nicer way to just play the game.

I'll give it a spin while knocking the 3080 down to 1050ti performance to see if it falls apart from global illumination like the original, but there's comments out there saying that it's acceptable so I've got hope for it.

Are there any deals going at the moment for existing subscribers? It’s hard to keep track.

I’m paying full price at the moment which I’m generally happy to do given the incredible value (I have a PC and a Series S). That said, I’m under strict orders to tighten my purse strings, so if there are any loopholes still around...

Afforded a bit of spare time yesterday and faced with the embarrassment of riches on offer on GamePass yesterday I settled on playing through Doom (original) for the umpteenth time. No regrets. 

I think you have to let it lapse to get the good deals.  The first post of this thread covers converting Xbox Live Gold to Gamepass Ultimate which is what I'll probably do once my three months for £1 deal expires.

Yep, best thing to do ATM is just letting the sub lapse, load your account with gold subs and then converting to GPU.

You might not be offered to do it for a quid and have to pay a month of GPU, but even at pure base level, paying £50 for 12 months of live gold + £10 for a month of GPU to upgrade is half the price of just paying £10 a month on a rolling GPU subscription.

Empire of Sin is available now. I remember seeing this a while back and thought it looked great and right up my street, but the reviews are less than favourable. Anybody played it on PC?

If you don't want to wait until your sub lapsess, keep an eye out for the 3 months plus three months free Game Pass Ultimate deals that pop up on Amazon and the like. I use that to extend my sub at half the price. In the last two years those I remember that deal appearing around Black Friday, around E3 time, and again in September. But that's a big IF I recall correctly.

12 minutes ago, Nosejam said:

Empire of Sin is available now. I remember seeing this a while back and thought it looked great and right up my street, but the reviews are less than favourable. Anybody played it on PC?

I played quite a bit of it on Switch and while I accept the reviews aren’t glowing I really enjoyed it. There are (or were) a few QoL issues with it - forcing you into drawn out fights for no real reason and fiddly menus - but I think some of this has been patched now. 
I maintain there’s a very good game in there, but it doesn’t make it easy to find and tbh it might not be worth the effort for a lot of people. 

2 hours ago, Novelty Bobble said:

Are there any deals going at the moment for existing subscribers? It’s hard to keep track.

I’m paying full price at the moment which I’m generally happy to do given the incredible value (I have a PC and a Series S). That said, I’m under strict orders to tighten my purse strings, so if there are any loopholes still around...

Afforded a bit of spare time yesterday and faced with the embarrassment of riches on offer on GamePass yesterday I settled on playing through Doom (original) for the umpteenth time. No regrets. 

If you really are trying to tighten purse strings then it's well worth doing the rewards stuff. It really doesn't take that much time and since I've started doing it I'm getting 15k points a month, with is enough to buy 3 months of live gold which converts to 50 days of GPU if you are currently a GPU subscriber.

Does anyone know how long Journey To The Savage Planet takes to complete, if it’s fairly short to medium I’ll probably get it done before it leaves 30th Mar, but probably not if it’s full on Metroid Prime length and challenge. I’ve started it and it’s really nice, the shooting is a bit janky, a bit like No Man’s Sky, but the jumping is satisfying once you get the boost. 

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Does anyone know how long Journey To The Savage Planet takes to complete, if it’s fairly short to medium I’ll probably get it done before it leaves 30th Mar, but probably not if it’s full on Metroid Prime length and challenge. I’ve started it and it’s really nice, the shooting is a bit janky, a bit like No Man’s Sky, but the jumping is satisfying once you get the boost. 

Someone said around 10 hours.

21 hours ago, Majora said:

Bloodstained had been in the leaving soon section of the Gamepass app for quite a while but I agree they could probably do more to notify people.

It was on display in the basement, in a locked filing cabinet, stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the leopard"!