Xbox Game Pass

2 hours ago, Majora said:

Journey to the Savage Planet (Console)

Cheers downloading now! Metroid Prime with upgraded textures, any on rail rollercoasters? What a level that was in the sky. 

Journey to the Savage Planet is great. A proper, overlooked gem. It's a real shame Google bought the developer and then promptly shut them down. 

If anyone is mulling Plague Tale: Innocence - pile in.

I did it recently and regret NOTHING.

It’s the perfect GP game.

Probably about 10-12 hours to complete with no desire to replay. Looks great, bouncy story, gameplay adds enough to keep fresh throughout and, crucially, there is minimal FOMO motivation for collectibles and resources. I often manage to completely fucking ruin games by searching every cabinet and bin etc to get the best upgrades but I just got what I got in this and was made to feel surprisingly at peace with it.

I need to go back to Savage Planet, was a fun little metroidvania style experience but I just got a little tired of it after a while. Probably a cheap purchase down the road instead.

I recall the opening of Savage Planet being a little underwhelming but stick with it until it opens up properly. I don't think it takes that long to hit the first big open area.

10 minutes ago, carlito said:

Can some more people convince me to take We Happy Few off my to play list.

I played it for about 1-2 hours maybe and thought it was rubbish. Horrible controls, full of scavenging and looting and crafting and meters to babysit and micromanage, randomly generated levels, janky. Don't be fooled by the great high-level concept, it's a proper boring dud.

3 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Re: paying full price for GPU - let's for one moment imagine that the stackable cheap subscription trick wasn't a thing.

The sheer variety, volume and quality of titles available for Game Pass is absolutely insane.  It caters for every possible taste in games, it caters for solo play, multiplayer, kid-friendly titles, co-op modes.  It caters for the 100 hour + mega RPGs, the sports fans amongst us, the casual gamers as well as the hard core gamers.  There's online and offline play.  Fuck, you can even play some games on your phone.

It now caters for those with PCs, the frame rate upgrades for Series X owners, those who hamper for some original Xbox/360 nostalgia.  And even if you're not the lucky owner of a Series X/S, there's no rush - when you do manage to get one, you won't have to start from scratch.  And use the controller you've been using for your Xbox One.

£10.99 a month is insanely good value for all that.  

Now imagine you can get it for even cheaper.  Because you can.

In terms of value gaming, there's nothing else out there that comes close.  

Fair enough. I would pay (hope Microsoft aren't reading this), although it was the deal that got me interested in the first place. I don't think I would have tried otherwise. I just needed to get over the fact I don't own the games, which is a bit of an irrational hangup in this age of Netflix, but smarts a bit when something disappears from circulation.

26 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

Fair enough. I would pay (hope Microsoft aren't reading this), although it was the deal that got me interested in the first place. I don't think I would have tried otherwise. I just needed to get over the fact I don't own the games, which is a bit of an irrational hangup in this age of Netflix, but smarts a bit when something disappears from circulation.

But nothing ever disappears from circulation. As has been mentioned before, you can buy whatever you’re playing at a 20% discount before it leaves GP, or just pick it up in a sale for probably even less.

4 minutes ago, JPL said:

But nothing ever disappears from circulation. As has been mentioned before, you can buy whatever you’re playing at a 20% discount before it leaves GP, or just pick it up in a sale for probably even less.

Of course, I just mean in a perfect world, I'd rather pay sub fees only rather than extra money on top of it for something I want to play that isn't currently available.

Glad Deadfire is coming.

1 hour ago, carlito said:

Can some more people convince me to take We Happy Few off my to play list.

It sucks, they hate the player running for any reason, you have the worlds smallest stamina bar to manage and they stick all the objectives a mile away. Then you get to the towns and everything is still a mile away, except this time in a maze, and running makes all the NPCs turn on you.

Dishonored is a bit good. Game Pass is bloody killing it at the moment. 

A bit like Skyrim it looks it’s age, but whereas that felt old this is as smooth as a good single malt. I’ve played the sequel on PS4 but abandoned it when I got my PC, but very much looking forward to playing this and the sequel in short order. 

Only completed the opening escape and just starting the first mission and it’s already got the hooks in. 

Thanks Microsoft. 

3 hours ago, Majora said:

I recall the opening of Savage Planet being a little underwhelming but stick with it until it opens up properly. I don't think it takes that long to hit the first big open area.

I played it for about 1-2 hours maybe and thought it was rubbish. Horrible controls, full of scavenging and looting and crafting and meters to babysit and micromanage, randomly generated levels, janky. Don't be fooled by the great high-level concept, it's a proper boring dud.

Agreed on both counts. There's a 'moment' in Savage Planet where the world opens up and it's really quite beautiful.

Got a notification about a series x being available.

obviously nothing there so I was refreshing regularly and getting updates more were in stock. So I thought I’d just spend a couple of minute clicking refresh and sure enough managed to get one In My basket for about 3 seconds before it said out of stock.

Im not competing with bots. Why haven’t they shut this stuff down yet, what year is this.

Imagine doing this with iPhones...

7 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Can Fallout 4 be enjoyed if I completely ignore the base building rubbish? 

Ditto, and on a similar note is Fallout 76 worth a try now (as in is it non-shit now?)

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

Can Fallout 4 be enjoyed if I completely ignore the base building rubbish? 

Yes, the base building is entirely optional, save for a small quest right at the very start I believe. You can completely ignore it otherwise.

2 hours ago, spanx said:

Ditto, and on a similar note is Fallout 76 worth a try now (as in is it non-shit now?)

Yeah, they’ve turned it around from its disastrous launch and it’s actually a good Bethesda Fallout game now. The 60fps update on Series consoles has done wonders for reducing the general feeling of jank in the basic movement and combat too. I started it last weekend just before the MS back-compat wizards did their thing so was able to make an immediate comparison and it's like night and day in terms of performance.

Whether you'll enjoy it or not is entirely down to whether a "Bethesda Fallout game" appeals though. It's essentially Fallout 4 on an enormous new map with other people occasionally running around (the map's so vast that you hardly ever see other players unless you actively seek them out or team up specifically).

Aside from that it doesn’t really add anything new to the formula and plays exactly the same as its predecessor, warts and all, so you're bound to come across those classic Bethesda Creation engine bugs like wildlife skating along the ground and stuff but I've found them to be few and far between. If you enjoyed Fallout 3 and 4 then Fallout 76 with the recent addition of proper NPCs and storyline quests can be played and enjoyed solo just like those games. I’ve been having a lot of fun with it the past few days.

8 hours ago, Harrisown said:

Got a notification about a series x being available.

obviously nothing there so I was refreshing regularly and getting updates more were in stock. So I thought I’d just spend a couple of minute clicking refresh and sure enough managed to get one In My basket for about 3 seconds before it said out of stock.

Im not competing with bots. Why haven’t they shut this stuff down yet, what year is this.

Imagine doing this with iPhones...

The way I got an X was with this

https://www.stockinformer.co.uk/blog-discord-stock-notification-alerts

Follow the instructions there and then when they come into stock you'll get a notification from the channel in Discord. 

Course if you're not a dickhead who's glued to their phone 24/7 like I am you could miss them but you should hit gold sooner rather than later. Apologies if you've done this already and I'm teaching me nan to suck eggs.

The worst thing about Fallout 76 is the resource management. Having a stash full of garbage to repair and manage is fucking rubbish. The game itself is much more fun and 'Fallout' than it used to be but it'll still test some peoples patience for gaas bullshit.

18 hours ago, Gabe said:

Bit disappointed that Outriders isn't on PC too - is that an Epic exclusive, by any chance?

Pleased to see Pillars of Eternity 2 is coming though, I must finish the first game!

It's not, it's on Steam.

5 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

The worst thing about Fallout 76 is the resource management. Having a stash full of garbage to repair and manage is fucking rubbish. The game itself is much more fun and 'Fallout' than it used to be but it'll still test some peoples patience for gaas bullshit.

This is what eventually made me give up with it. I can't be arsed with the constant hunger / thirst / weapons breaking.

Personally, I always enjoyed Fallout 76 in the same "Fuck around and find out" methodology as No Man's Sky, even during both of their disastrous launches respectively. I think the only time it ever got me really annoyed was when I had to get into a story area that a level 80 barely walked past, only because that guy walked past it it spawned level 80 enemies and it took nearly half my ammo before me and a friend realised that you could just... leave the game and start another instance, to actually get super mutants that wouldn't kill you in seconds. Of course, by that time we were halfway dead and out of ammo.

Speaking of which, the weight system did fucking blow, but mainly because it accounted for literally anything - including ammo and scrap for weapon mods, that I liked to keep plenty of because.. well, it's a game where I shoot and hit things.

The hunger/thirst shit was fine, though - there's plenty of trash food to go around. And in terms of thematics, running around with my friend chugging nothing but 20 gallons of irradiated dairy cream because it's the last thing I raided was absolute comedy at the time.

But honestly, s'alright. It's about high time I revisted the game if the FPS Boost is a smoother experience than the PC version.

Tried Superhot: Mind Control Delete last night but was quite disappointed. The first game was great, a succession of authored set-pieces that felt like a puzzle you had to solve.

This appears to have you playing the same levels over and over again but with things such as item/enemy placement moved around or minor things altered. The design lacks the precision of the original and can feel messy due to elements being randomly generated, and after an hour I was already bored of seeing the same levels and templates reworked. 

Would rather go back and play the original than carry on with this I think.

That's interesting because I bounced off the vr original (the only one I played) because if you failed a "puzzle" it made you play a bunch of previous solved levels to get back to where you were which I resented because like you I saw them as puzzles.

I just turned on my Series X to play Bloodstained and finally finish the game. I got up to final boss room, and had spent the last few days upgrading my weapons, buying the health I needed, cooking meals to boost my stats and finishing off side quests. But now I see that it disappeared from Game Pass :(

I'm sure its removal would have been promoted somewhere if I was looking in the right place, but would it have been so hard for Xbox to see I was playing it and send me a notification that it's on its way out?

46 minutes ago, NickC said:

I just turned on my Series X to play Bloodstained and finally finish the game. I got up to final boss room, and had spent the last few days upgrading my weapons, buying the health I needed, cooking meals to boost my stats and finishing off side quests. But now I see that it disappeared from Game Pass :(

I'm sure its removal would have been promoted somewhere if I was looking in the right place, but would it have been so hard for Xbox to see I was playing it and send me a notification that it's on its way out?

On 14/03/2021 at 14:11, routeburn said:

I notice that Bloodstained is leaving Gamepass on 16th March - at least for my region. Quite sad about that as I was taking my time with it.