rllmuk
Harsin

Xbox Game Pass

Just now, HarryBizzle said:

But Boomerang gets you brand new games. 

Speaking from a personal point of view only I tend to rent a new game for the fact it's new, not like it, send it back and then rent something I know I'll get on with, I reckon 10% of the games I actually rent are "New Releases".

To be fair I'll probably keep Boomerang and still go for this, I'd look at both as £20 max together a month which is a couple of beers down the pub

The problem with this is I have no idea how some of you guys find the time to play as many games as you do!  Games seem to get bigger all the time, and the kind of games I like to play aren't designed to be played through in a few sittings - I like collecting stuff and don't tend to have several games on the go at the same time.  Then there's the addictive multiplayer modes (currently BF1) with their dangerous 'aww just one more game - I'm not ending the night on a bad game - oh shit, is that sunlight?' moments.

I don't think I'd find the time to enjoy this service - as good as it could potentially be.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, gossi the dog said:

£10 a pint? What?

:lol: it probably is that in London now isn't it ? Well no £5 a pint so for a "few" pints I could have a months access to new games and a whole catalogue of older titles. I think that's a bargain.

The first 31 games have been announced:

A Kingdom for Keflings

Banjo-Kazooie

Comic Jumper

Dark Void

Defense Grid 2

Gears of War Judgement

Gears of War Ultimate Edition

Halo: Spartan Assault

Hexic 2

Jetpac Refuelled

Kameo

Max: The Curse of Brotherhood

Monday Night Combat

Ms. Splosion Man

OF: Dragon Rising

Perfect Dark Zero

Sacred 3

Sam & Max Beyond Time

Sunset Overdrive

The Maw

Viva Pinata

Halo 5

Saints Row 4

Mad Max

NBA 2K16

Lego Batman

Mega Man Collection

Terraria

Payday 2

Fable 3

Tekken Tag Tournament 2

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Mr Do 71 said:

The first 23 games have been announced:

That's 31 games. I've got a considerable number of those so I don't think this is for me. 

You'd be daft not to. EA Access is now 44 games, so for what? About £1.50 a month it's a mega bargain. Then this on top. 

This will make it very easy to go mostly digital.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

So games everyone has got already.

Some of which have been on Games with Gold (e.g. Sunset Overdrive) or given away free with other titles (e.g. the 360 Gears titles were free if you bought Gears 4).

It's a neat idea, but I'd rather there were fewer, more recent titles than the bulk being made up of over 360 titles.

• Upvote 1

Good idea in principle.  I probably won't be signing up at first since Games with Gold, EA Access and my normal purchased games have given me a big backlog already.  But I'll keep an eye on it and potentially sign up in the future. 

The ultimate holy grail would be a system where new releases, or releases quite close to the release are included.  Even if that meant the service cost more per month might still make it an attractive option for gamers. 

I agree; a truly Netflix-style model where you have brand new stuff (e.g. Stranger Things, House of Cards) rubbing shoulders with older classics would get me interested.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

I agree; a truly Netflix-style model where you have brand new stuff (e.g. Stranger Things, House of Cards) rubbing shoulders with older classics would get me interested.

that approach evolved though didn't it. When Netflix started it was purely old stuff - back in 2007/8? And they have been doing their own new stuff since when 3 yrs ish ago?

I reckon given time to mature the same will happen here.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Clipper said:

that approach evolved though didn't it. When Netflix started it was purely old stuff - back in 2007/8? And they have been doing their own new stuff since when 3 yrs ish ago?

Exactly that. They need the numbers first. Wait until the heave 5-10 million members on it. Once it's pulling $50,000000 a month I could see it getting bigger games on launch.

11 minutes ago, Clipper said:

This exactly. All the people bashing this now are just echoing what people said when EA Access originally launched and now people swear by it. Is it too much for people to have an open mind these days lol. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm not "bashing" the idea. Just saying that it's not quite right for me. Yet. Is it too much for people to have different opinions without people getting upset?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Phil said:

I'm not "bashing" the idea. Just saying that it's not quite right for me. Yet. Is it too much for people to have different opinions without people getting upset?

I never even mentioned you in the reply, it was just a general statement. 

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

I agree.  I'm not really seeing that people are bashing the idea just that at the moment it looks like a fairly old catalogue of games.  That's fine and I hope it evolves but that alone wouldn't get my money.  I'd rather pay more for a service which included new or near new releases. 

I accept that Netflix and Amazon didn't start up as they are now and hope this will evolve in the same way.  I wish it the best of luck, as it looks now I won't be subscribing but may well do if the service evolves in the future.  I'm not really sure people can be expected to sign up to a service in the expectation that it might become what they want some point in the future. 

As it is, anyone who has been an Xbox Gold Member probably already has a significant collection of back catalog titles ready to play without needing to sign up to this service.  Ironically, I might be more interested in signing up when it becomes live if I had not 'purchased' the 4 free titles each month and now have these ready to play when I get time. 

However, chuck in Xbox Live into this subscription package and I may well go for it.  If they intend for you to pay for Gold and then this on top that might be asking a bit much at the start. 

• Upvote 1

My pile of shame is horrendous, that's without paying monthly for more to be added.

Seriously though it's great idea and maybe at some point in the future I'll look into it but it's not there for me yet.

1 hour ago, Mr Do 71 said:

So games everyone has got already.

I don't have most of those, but I'm not sure I could play any enough in a month to warrant $10. But if I had some more free time and there was a solid $10 worth of play to be extracted in a month (maybe short RPG?), then this looks decent.

Can see the model not working for everyone, though. I hope there's a gold discount, I'd pay a bit extra to include this with that.

That initial list doesn't fill me with a desire to buy into the sub. With EA Access and games with gold (plus back compat titles) added to the few games I've bought I already have over 180 titles installed and another 45 I could install on my xbone. That's just insane and dwarfs any other platform I've ever owned and I've paid substantially less money in total.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, King A said:

Exactly that. They need the numbers first. Wait until the heave 5-10 million members on it. Once it's pulling $50,000000 a month I could see it getting bigger games on launch.

Netflix have over 90 Million members, I'd think unless you are expecting indie games to be made exclusively for these sorts of services, then you'd be needing similar subscriber numbers to Netflix before it justifies spending big money on exclusive content for these services. As it is, even Netflix are getting flack for pouring so much money into exclusive content as some people don't see it as being a good idea financially.

To get any big games when they are still capable of being sold for real money would need these services to offer a big deal, otherwise they'll just wait until the games have run out of juice at retail. GTA V and evergreen games of that ilk will likely never agree to come to these services.

A quick calculation would put any deal for a new big AAA game to launch on the service needing at least a $50-100 Million deal to compensate for killing a huge chunk of their retail income, which is the sort of money Netflix spend on a new original series.

Sounds really good. I've recently stopped buying games on release recently, so if this gets stuff 6 months or so after a big release it could be perfect. 

On the other hand I have 100+ unplayed games on Xbox One so I might not jump in straight away. 

53 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

That initial list doesn't fill me with a desire to buy into the sub.

Although that is just a list of about 30 odd, not the full over 100 it will launch with.

When they tested back compatibility the list of games was completely shite at first too.

13 minutes ago, King A said:

Although that is just a list of about 30 odd, not the full over 100 it will launch with.

When they tested back compatibility the list of games was completely shite at first too.

I suppose you are right this is just a test and it might just represent MS games so they can test out the backend technical aspects. I suppose my point is that, at least from an xbone perspective if you've had live for a while and have an EA sub you have access to probably more games than most people could get through. Additionally MS are pretty good with the reductions you get on games with gold, especially when they run specific promotions (such as around Christmas) so if you don't need to have the latest and greatest you can pick up enough to play for cheaper than this monthly subscription. I think it needs big hitters on there a short time after release and certainly before you can buy them for less than the price of that months sub.

Obviously that's only my own perspective as a person who, at least in the last couple of years has played very little bar Halo 5 and Destiny. However this wouldn't have hooked me in in years gone by when I was buying a different day 1 title every few weeks, because it wouldn't have the latest and greatest on it.

• Upvote 2